Looking for gamers in the military

Discussion in 'Contact TOG' started by CT2987, Aug 25, 2010.

1. CT2987

CT2987 Just Joined

Hi all,
    I am a journalist at Australian Associated Press in Sydney and I am looking for gamers who are, or have been, in the Australian military for a story. Names can be changed for the story.

As you would all know, many media reports on computer games contain a lot of hype from people who have very little knowledge about the topic. A recent example of this was an article on being able to play as the Taliban in the latest Medal Of Honour game.
    Dead soldiers' families outraged as EA allows gamers to fight for Taliban | News.com.au
    There were comments about it being disrespectful to our soldiers serving in Afghanistan but it lacked any comment from anyone in the army.
    I would like to get comment from someone in the army/previously in the army on this for my article.

Other topics that could be covered in the interview and article include:
    An R rating for games in Australia
    The effect of watching a violent movie v playing a violent game

I am very much interested in putting forward the actual perspective of gamers as I think this is lacking in a lot of the media coverage.

I know that you are probably all very skeptical about the media and I can see why but I am not out to make you look like "a crazy gamer" as I don't believe that is what most gamers are like.

If you are interested in participating or would like further information send me a message.

Thanks in advance!

2. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

We have a few current and former ADF personnel. I'll put the word out and hopefully you'll get some responses.
    Not all of them are keen to discuss their past experiences tho'...

3. Kadyan

Kadyan Active Member

Edit: Withdrawn, since reading your story more carefully the scope of the interview seems to be broader than just the ruckus about Medal of Honor, which I'm pretty po'd about.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  4. SgtMech

SgtMech Retired Moderator

I think some people need to understand the difference between a game and reality.

The COD series has had players as Germans and Allies, COD4 had OPFOR/Marines/Spetnaz; and COD:MW2 has Allies/OPFOR/terrorists. What is the difference between the WW2 allied and Nazi soliders being portrayed in COD2 ( a war which had some of the most horrendous casualities of all wars ) to this?

Another example of political correctness and ill directed sense of righteousness gone stupid?

5. GuruMag

GuruMag Well-Known Member

That article was just great free publicity for EA. I wouldn't be surprised if they got one of their publicists to tap one of the staff writers at news.com with the idea and probably even provided a bunch of material they could use to write the story. Maybe even threw in a free lunch/dinner or perhaps some tickets to the footy.

Storm, meet teacup. You'll love it there.

6. larj_juan

larj_juan Active Member

Oh man, this ice is so thin. Hey CT2987 the problem you face here, (even though you said names can be changed) is the point of view that the ADF will take. Rightly or Wrongly, and I'm not debating it here, is that their view will be that you have positively identified yourself as a defence force member. Therefore, for the sake of media, any opinion you have, automatically becomes indicative of the overall ADF opinion. I know that at my work, we're often told to keep your opinions to yourself, don't enter into topical conversations or basically any conversations with media without the publicity officer being there. Dunno how much of that relates to this particular activity but I always reckon, if you don't know, then don't. Ironically, that is my opinion. :D

7. Easy_Beat

Easy_Beat Retired Moderator

Adelaide, SA Occupation: Fox´s Muse TOG_Sponsor: $
    Maybe you should ask the Vietnam Veterans for their take on Battlefield: Vietnam. It's a game that allows the player to take either the US or NVA/VC sides, and the majority would not be prevented by the ADF in giving their opinion. Ask Holocaust survivors their opinion on there being numerous games that allow the player to play as WWII Germans.

Personally, having served 10 years in the ARes in an infantry battalion, and having never seen combat service, my opinion on the matter is going to differ greatly to those who have seen active duty.

8. icarus17

icarus17 Active Member

Current serving members are reminded to check out the policy on this before actioning.

All others can 'fill their boots'

9. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I think the problem is the COD events were and have been past tense but the Afganistan issue with the Taliban is still on going with people dieing everyday.

I don't think it's good idea at present as it's to raw in the back of many minds and is still happening currently.

10. Derf

Derf Retired Advisor

Soz..... i say put our girls and guys that serve at the back of us . there at the pointy end and a story can come out BAD

to Easy
    Vietnam Veterans ..... case of crownies ,bbq and close freinds thats the way the father in law has a word or 2 .and its more the funny storys

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  11. SgtMech

SgtMech Retired Moderator

If the creaters simply change one word from Taliban to Mujahideen do you think that this would get the same attention?

CT2987 if you want serving members to comment you will have more luck attempting to go via this link to Defence Media and put in a request.

12. Easy_Beat

Easy_Beat Retired Moderator

Adelaide, SA Occupation: Fox´s Muse TOG_Sponsor: $
    Hell, if it was Mujahideen and Soviets, guess who the bad guys would have been?