looking for some advice in getting an amiga 500

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by NFi, Aug 26, 2014.

1. NFi

NFi Retired Captain

Hey all :)

Im currently researching into getting my favorite old system the amiga 500. Im just wondering if anyone here knows of anywhere that I can look besides ebay to get one? And roughly how much should I be looking at spending on one?

Ive been looking on ebay but theres not much there anymore in Australia :/

2. m0j0

m0j0 Active Member

Amiga`s are awesome, my first advice would be, go for a Amiga 1200 :)

Had one, still ticked off that i sold it to fund my first PC.

3. NFi

NFi Retired Captain

Thanks mate ill look into the 1200. Yeah im the same way... always been annoyed that my dad sold the amiga back then cause he upgraded... it was in top nick and he basically gave it away :(

4. @Threshold

@Threshold Active Member

I occasionally kept an eye out over the years, but rarely see her around these days.
    My Ami still goes (well last time I tried). Kept my Bro's non working one as well for spares. Would have thought easier to get a 500 as many more were sold into households.
    Maybe gumtree or the like, or put up some requests on computer boards. Others might still have one sitting out in the garage like me.
    Might be lucky at some markets, but I used to regularly go to all the Canberra markets over the years, but rarely saw one.

5. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

I also keep an eye out for the ol'girls. I still have the external FDD somewhere. I went and paid for Amiga Forever - much easier than using the hardware. No more endless swapping of floppies, HDD's (something i could never afford) and your choice of systems and workbench.

My Amiga led to some good friendships in high school, including DJ Debris from Hilltop Hoods - i still remember it: Some little dude in year 9 came up to me in the corridor and said "I heard you got an amiga"
    "yeah" "cool, we should swap some games". I think we were the only two in high school with amigas.

Vintage Computers and Mainframes | eBay

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  6. @Threshold

@Threshold Active Member

Holy sh!t. That's some name dropping. Since my youngest son moved up last year that's all I've been listening too (+ BnE). We were just talking about them tonight. He tells me they are playing the night after his last HSC exam. His best mate has an exam the next day. He is telling him he's goin without him (though I know will catch them somewhere else).

Would be cool to know if he used much of the music stuff on Ami, as compared to a PC there were some great programs for that.

Which version did you get. I have been meaning to archive my disks for so many years.

7. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

8. m0j0

m0j0 Active Member

Ive given Amiga emulators a try over the years.

But never did i get to a point where enjoyment surpassed frustration.. still have WINUAE installed, but havent touched it in ages.