1. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

No macros! Play the game as intended! ;-)

Looks like a big patch about to hit

Changelog for Patch #5 - January 31st

Changelog for Patch #5 (1.3.3.4)- January 31st
    Fixed issues/bugs
    Fixed save games disappearing when disconnecting from online game. (For real this time)
    Fixed crash for alternative character models appearing in cutscenes. (Chapter 7, Chapter 12).
    Fixed crash caused by conjuring large quantities of elements.
    Fixed crash due to beams merging.
    Fixed crash where Chapter 11 boss collided with shield.
    Fixed crash where Clients and servers would send old messages when reconnecting.
    Fixed high-end machine jitter.
    Improved network batching. (should result in serious network performance increase).
    Improved startup routine to prevent threading problems.
    Improved authentification on connect. (should result in fewer auth-failed)
    Fixed a missing file that resulted in french text not appearing correctly.
    Fixed immovable objects jittering.
    Fixed issue where characters would get stuck during cutscenes.
    Fixed issue where scripted player movement would remain after a cutscene.
    Fixed missing boss titles.
    Steam join through overlay fixed.
    Fixed Chapter 1 collision. (behind door)
    Fixed Chapter 3 collision. (you can now fall down the well)
    Fixed Chapter 7 cutscene lockups and other issues.
    Fixed Chapter 8 cutscene lockup.
    Fixed Chapter 8 navigation fixed.
    Fixed Chapter 9 cutscene lockups.
    Fixed Chapter 11 teleport issue.
    Fixed Chapter 12 cutscene lockup.
    Conflagration is now properly synced over network.

New features/balancing
    Chapter 3 now has proper pirates by the picnic.
    Chapter 8 now has manual exit at the end of level.
    Fire Damage increased from 40 to 60.
    Spawned summons now capped at 16 per player.
    Goblin Pirate damage reduced from 155 to 72.
    Added server list filter option for “Password”.
    Removed obsolete port option of game hosting (always hosted on 27016 anyways).
    Sever list sorting added (klick on the header).

Known Issues
    Self-shields sometimes get out of sync
    Network uplink bandwidth, while improved, can be demanding
    Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched or rare occasion
    "Too fancy for fireballs" achievement is sometimes not awarded
    Quitting the game while the credits are rolling will not award a game complete.
    Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game.

2. Meteo

Meteo Getting Started

Cannot doubt the developers intent thats for sure. Think that makes it 5 patches in 5 days?
    Given you rarely see that kind of support for "AAA" titles its certainly a fair effort.

As for macros I said I was tempted. Errors are definately more fun(ny). ;)

3. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

They always said they would be releasing patches every 24 hours. Maybe in response to the first reports of the bugginess (is that a word?) of it.

4. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Patch is already out; was approx 12MB.

5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

I hate it when I try to use the lightning and Im wet!!! :twisted: LOL!

6. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Lightning schmightning - try "summon the phoenix" and watch him dive bomb on to your head! :eek: (better have full health and full shields!)

7. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Haste, rush into a group, Summon Phoenix ..... RUN!!!

8. Fate

Fate Active Member

9. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

10. DangerMouse

I reckon PvP or Team based combat PvP would be fun and crazy with this game!

Edit:

Just read this on the wiki page:

PvP Battle
    According to the official website there is also a PvP battle mode in which players can fight against each other[1]. However this is not yet implemented. (A Forum post claims that PvP mode will be unlocked after you beat the game but this has yet to be confirmed.)

11. Isthiriel

Isthiriel Active Member

I think I've about decided that I hate the game :(

It does have some good ideas but it's spoiled by some fairly horrendous execution. I've just gotten to the beginning of Chapter 6 in the main adventure, which I gather is less than half way through the game. I'm going to mention some of my gripes, but feel free to skip down to the colourful bit where I talk about my experiments with the magic system :)

Minor Spoilers Follow:

So... gripes, they're mostly obvious and stuff that makes me feel like the developers never actually played a computer game since the eighties:
    • You can't save your progress.
    • You can't check or change your keybindings mid-game.
    • Un&$%^skippable cutscenes after checkpoints.
    • Quicktime events (press space REPEATEDLY to not die)... though they come in slightly humorous flavour too if your regeneration is better than their damage.
    • The sheer number and frequency of knockback effects.
    • Stun-locks.
    • More stun-locks. (If you can't/don't move the little archers, the weakest enemies in the game, will prevent you from casting anything, and if there are three or more, you may not be able to even move between knock-downs.)
    • Warlock-keepaway, when the enemies don't want you to touch the ground.
    • Enemies that you can't interact with, that will happily push you off a cliff.
    • Falling through the world (walking along a river bank, being charged through walls, getting thrown through floors.
    • Invisible walls. Some of them you're almost guaranteed to run into, some of them kill you.
    • Can't fire in a different direction to movement (and consequently, can't drop mines behind you, only in front).
    • The game occasionally forgets elements that you've cast, so you'll have a spell ready to go and go to cast it and instead push things.
    • Half-hearted 3D. Beams are locked to a single 2D plane so if someone is standing on a different level, or even a ramp, your Beam of Incredible Death won't touch them. I think this also applies to cone and shard effects?
    • Can't aim shard effects.
    • Cutscenes cancel all spells.
    • Random insta-kill.
    • Control confusion, shift-right-clicking sometimes swings your weapon.
    • Sometimes spells don't take effect despite everything going right.
    • Game seems to steal the camera for "dramatic effect", leaving you fighting things off screen while the game focusses on showing you a scenic piece of river or grassland.
    • No difficulty curve to speak of. I'm carrying the second staff I found, the weapon from the end of Chapter 3 and 90+% of all the damage I've dealt has come from the same freeform spell that I discovered at the end of the tutorial, (QF)AS. Most of the remainder was sniping fatties and things on a different plane with Thunderbolt.
    • You can't SAVE your progress. (I know, it's already in the list. It deserves being said twice. One of the major arguments in the PC vs Console WAR is that PC save points aren't restricted to the two eight-bit bytes the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii restrict save files to. Though, I'll grant that Magicka does seem to use about four bytes or so to "save" your progress.)
    • No ability to backtrack, though a Paradox employee on the Steam forums has apparently promised a Chapter selector sometime Real Soon Now.

Magicka!

Q Water
    W Life
    E Shield
    R Cold

A Lightning
    S Arcane
    D Earth
    F Fire

(QF) or (FQ) Steam
    (QR) or (RQ) Ice

Steam and Ice can be cast either way as the first element, but if one of their components is already in the spell you need to cast it with the most recent component second, for example, trying to cast Conflagration, the successful way is FQFFQFFQ as the alternative, QFFQFFQF collapses to (QF)(FQ)F(FQ)F which doesn't work for the spell.

Spells I've found so far:
    Revive WA (End of Tutorial)
    Grease QDW
    Haste ASF (In Tutorial)
    ?
    Teleport ASA (Beginning of Chapter 7)
    ?
    ?
    Thunder Bolt (QF)ASA (Chapter 4?)
    ?
    ?
    Blizzard R(RQ)R (Beginning of Chapter 6)
    Meteor Shower FD(FQ)DF (End of Tutorial)
    Conflagration (FQ)F(FQ)F(FQ) (Chapter 4?)
    ?
    Time Warp RE (Beginning of Chapter 5)
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Summon Phoenix WAF (Chapter 8)
    Nullify SE (Chapter 3?)
    ?

Of the freeform spells, you can cast them either on your self (.self), with a direction (.dir), in an area (.area) or through your weapon (.weap).

The basic shield, E behaves differently depending on how you cast it.
    E.self gives you a personal shield that can save you from some damage or a single massive attack. If you are healed while shielded, the health goes to the shield.
    E.dir puts a curved wall between you and the direction you chose.
    E.area puts a bubble around you.
    E.weap throws a straight wall directly away from you.

You can get elemental shields that prevent you from being affected by an element, so QE.self stops you from getting wet (and will dry you out if you already are), WE.self stops you from being healed, RE.self prevents you from being frozen (and cold damage), AE.self prevents electrical damage, SE.self prevents arcane damage, DE.self covers you in a protective layer of rock (and immobilizes you), FE.self prevents fire damage (and will prevent you from catching fire and extinguish you if you are already on fire), QRE.self covers you in a protective layer of ice (and immobilizes you), QFE.self prevents steam damage (though you still get wet).

These elemental shields can't be dispelled with Nullify?

The same spells when directed form barriers, mines or damage fields with the same shapes as the basic shield, so QE.dir forms a curved rain curtain, QE.area surrounds you with rain, QE.weap draws a line of rain running away from you.

WE and SE form mines, DE throws up rocks (like the druids do), RE forms a freezing curtain, FE forms a burning curtain, AE forms a curtain of lightning pillars.

SED puts up rocks as DE but with a pink band around them (explosive?), RED makes the rocks frosty, FED makes the rocks burn.

(QF)AS.area does about 2200 damage and pops the armor of everything I've run across. (Adding any more elements seems to weaken it, (QF)ASA, (QF)ASF, (QF)ASS all do about 1100 and (QF)ASAA, (QF)ASFF, (QF)ASSS seem to do about 800.

(QR)ASR.area does about 800 damage (spikes out of the ground?) and freezes everything around you.

(QF)ASSS does insane beam damage.

FAAAA seems to be the best lightning combo I've found that keeps the lightning behaviour, and it only does about 500-800 damage :( Combining lightning with anything else seems to get beam/projectile/cone/shard behaviour. Though, this is enough to toast all the target dummies with one shot :)

12. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Well thanks to Isth's QFAS and working out I can shield myself I finally (eventually) got through the demo - I'm pretty bad at the running around in close combat stuff. Still unconvinced on whether I'm interested enough to buy it - especially as online appears currently a bust. Might try a lan co-op game, assuming you can do so with the demo.

13. DangerMouse

This is an issue with the game... it would have been better if the checkpoints saved your progress... isnt that what checkpoints are for!?!? Although it looks like they designed the game this way...

Most of your other points hopefully will be fixed with patches..

I enjoyed a decent 2 player online game last night :)

14. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

(QF)(QF)AAS does 2800 ... though I tend to cast it as S(QF)(QF)AA

15. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Multiplayer disables my gamepad and i'm not the only one.

16. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

There are definitely some battles that appear designed for co-op - I died repeatedly in SP, whilst in co-op I was at least able to contribute something (even if only acting as a target/victim for the boss enemy) toward the team eventually making it through. :)

Co-op still has some "issues", but it does work (kinda sorta - sometimes); in adventure mode, I think 4 players was actually rather counter-productive (as you all have to be within the same screen real-estate), but 3 players appeared to work quite well. Might be different in the challenge arenas, I don't know (haven't tried those yet).

17. DaBing

DaBing Getting Started

been playing this a bit, mainly challenges though.

Managed to get through level 20 several times. I seem to play the role of "stay alive and keep the rest alive"

mostly amusing :)

18. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Okay, I'll admit - I never saw this coming (though oddly, it makes perfect sense for Magicka!):

Paid DLC, coming during the next few months.

Snott likes this.
  19. Leevers

Leevers Guest

I think they should fix the current game properly before releasing anything else, but the video is a classic! love it

20. The_Crunch

The_Crunch Getting Started

Just had a crack at the demo, sooooo much fun. A bit annoying get stunlocked by those bloody Gobbo archers but an earth AoE with a followup spell sorts them out quick xD.

The spell system is awesome, my favorite "combo" that I've found so far is Arcane, 3x Steam and a Lightning, beamy, burny, electrocutiony, explodey death ftw sir. Definitely be buying this when I get some scratch together :D.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011