Mass Effect Trilogy

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Ancient_One, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

A few people have told me for storyline I should definitely get Mass Effect Trilogy. Play them all then buy Mass Effect 4 when it hits.

Anyone offer their thoughts on this series of games?

2. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Captain

I loved it, a lot of people were disappointed in the ending though. The first game had me playing for about 12 hours straight without realizing it the first time through.

3. RVK-KSoze

RVK-KSoze Getting Started

I was a huge fan of "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" games on PC and enjoyed "Dragon Age: Origins", so I always wanted to give Mass Effect a go as well. Mass Effect 4 being right around the corner (and a possibility for my thin PS4 library) motivated me to start the trilogy last week (PS3). I haven't had a lot of time to sink into it yet.

"Feels like a Bioware RPG" I guess is my my only take away so far (like riding a bike...only with space guns). Knights of the Old Republic had one of the better "surprises" in game history, so I'm being paranoid about everything and trying to look for Bioware to pull something at every turn. They didn't really have a plot twist in Dragon Age, so I should probably just relax and go with it.

4. Wind195

Wind195 Active Member

The mass effect trilogy has one of the best scifi stories around, you won't be disappointed. Personally Mass effect 2 was the best tho..

5. divinity

divinity Getting Started

There's something special about the way your decisions carry over game-to-game. I remember touring the Normandy for the first time in ME2 and there was a little keepsake on my desk reminding me of something I did in ME1.
    Bioware didn't need that level of detail but it is definitely appreciated.

If you're going to play the Mass Effect series, definitely start with ME1. The combat is a little clunky but ME2 feels better and has more impact if you've already played through the ME1 story.

6. any1seenjoe

any1seenjoe Minecraft: Vice Captain

The first was my favorite, people who preferred the second like to remind me of how bad the driving part was. My usual response is to remind them of planet scanning :p.

I wasn't overly disappointed with the ending (although due to not having time to play it at release, the extra cutscenes were added by the time I did get around to playing it). The whole third game felt like one big goodbye.

One thing I do have to warn those who haven't played the series... I hope you can handle cutscenes, and dialogue (this is a bioware rpg first and a shooter second after all). A mate of mine couldn't get past the first couple of hours of the game due to them.

7. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I'm sure I read somewhere MASS Effect Trilogy for the PS4 and One was being created. Anyone got anything further on this?

I would prefer to hold out for this then to maybe buy the older PS3 version but then..........I could save money buying the older version.

8. RVK-KSoze

RVK-KSoze Getting Started

Rumors came out last year when it was tweeted by the Bioware GM that there were internal talks about doing a remaster for PS4/XboxOne, but they didn't have anything concrete. A lot of outlets just regurgitated the same limited information from that tweet, and never really followed up. I haven't read of anything since, but it is EA... so I can't imagine them not trying ($$$ with limited overhead).

I could see EA/Bioware announcing the remaster at E3 (June) to piggy back additional details/trailers for ME4. If they do a remaster, I would think they would want to get the remaster out first to set the stage for ME4 and increase potential sales on the remaster (this Holiday Season would make sense). Similar to what Microsoft tried with "The Master Chief Collection". I'd at least give it until E3 (unless you want to start playing right now).

9. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

Played all three and love them.

More like a playable movie to me with minimal RPG elements and a first person shooter feel. My wife even asked several times what movie I was watching.

10. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I got a free copy of ME2 for PC when I bought Dragon Age 2, it was a thank you gift from Bioware/EA for being one of the first to buy it.

Because I got that, I went to a local game store and picked up Mass Effect 1 and played through it first, then the 2nd.

When I heard 3 was coming out, I was happy, but wasn't in a position to buy it when it first launched, as it launched on consoles first. When I found out the Trilogy was being made, I definitely went and bought that for the PS3, and I loved every minute of it. The only thing I lack is the DLC for the 3rd one, because I believe they are overpriced for just a handful of extra hours, while the base 3 games and some free DLC with them cost me 60 dollars.