Massive Steam Sale

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Reven, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Some reading I was doing on Lead and Gold made it sound interesting, but I got the impression it really needs a community around it (not sure how big it is presently). Last I heard they were still working on a dedicated server so that really hinders it as listen server lag was being reported early on at least.

2. BlackIce

BlackIce Guardian Captain

I was happy to buy the retail version of BB for $12 from Game last week. Taken me a while to get my head back into the strategy of the game. It plays exactly like the board game so is excellent. Its a very good transition, unlike so many others that I can think of.

3. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

That's a shame, it runs perfect on my PC and I really enjoyed it.

4. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Nothing to tempt me thus far which is good as i have no time :)

I still have SW:KOTOR from the last time to play :)

5. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Hmmm maybe it was an XP thing, now that I'm on 7 maybe I should give it another look, 'cause I did so badly want it to be great.

6. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

I'm running 7 Ultimate and it play's fine. I did have problems running the game under Xp too.

7. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

The mouse input for Ghostbusters on PC is terrible, it lags behind your mouse movements by several seconds, totally unplayable for those accustom to playing a lot of FPS games on PC.

Mass Effect 2 was the same, but you could at least tweak that in a config file - and after it's tweaked ME2 is a freak'n awesome game. When I tried Ghostbusters for PC I couldn't find a way to fix that horrible delay and mouse smoothing so I just wrote it off as a bad job. RE5 was the same.

I'm really starting to get jack of games that have piss poor PC controls. I just don't understand how anyone could release a shooter on the PC which such terrible controls yet it seems to be happening all the bloody time.

With a few rare exceptions a lot of devs seem to interpolate the crap out of the mouse input in their shooters and they don't provide a way to switch it off. Just map that shit 1:1 rotation equally on both the x and y rotation axes. Give us a sensitivity input (numeric if possible) that directly multiplies the mouse input data. Since they all seem hell bent on forcing vsync and triple buffering you'd think a few extra few hours of coding to do it without de-syncing the input isn't too much to ask. Lazy buggers.

My middle finger goes out to the lazy turd who thoguht "low", "medium", and "high" were the only valid choices for "Mouse Sensitivity" in Mass Effect 2. Even on "low" moving my mouse 5mm left or right would spin the character around 10 times. Suffice to say that pissed me off rather a lot, not the kind of game you want to jump in/out of tweaking config files with. The thing I don't get at all is that the three "low med high" settings you could choose in the options menu simply changed a single number in the config file. Why not just let us put in an effing number, what's with all the crazy cloak and dagger stuff for something so mind-numbingly straight forward, and then to add two levels of mouse interpolation and smoothing on top of that to make it all feel like you've been hitting the heavies for the past 8 hours straight.

Sigh.

Sorry, needed to vent. ME2 is a fab game, was so annoyed to see something so simple like controls stuffed up so badly.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  8. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member

So far ive only bought Half Life 2, but im looking at The Witcher and Space Rangers 2. Anyone played the Witcher and have an opinion on it?

Im also hoping M&B:Warband comes up in the main sales part. Right now its £12, but I can see it being one of the specials so im holding off, lol.

9. Rob.

Rob. Retired Captain

L4D2 for $10....soo tempting even though the aussie version is fubar..

10. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Get the Non Aussie Version? you use to be able to "trick" the store into thinking you were not in Aus. Or check to see if a OS togger can gift it to you after they buy a 4 pack.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  11. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

hummm, do any of the methods for getting L4D2 o/s versions work?

12. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Getting an overseas (non-Australian or German) TOGger to gift it to you (from a four-pack or just individual purchase) definitely works - that's how many of us got our copies when the game was first released.

The methods of "tricking" the Steam Store are somewhat hit-and-miss (work for some people, don't work for others).

13. Thermal Ions

Looking for a non-Aussie TOG'er who can help out with an individual gifting today (funds paypaled) while L4D2 is on sale.

EDIT: Got a copy :)

Some others also looking over in L4D forum

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  14. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are most of the daily specials quite uninteresting? Maybe they are saving the best deals for the weekend.

15. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Have a scroll through the specials tab. The daily sales have left a bit to be desired so far, but there are 500+ other games on sale =p

16. Thermal Ions

I agree and I simultaneously hope so and hope not (for the sake of my wallet).

17. BlackIce

BlackIce Guardian Captain

There are quite a few good specials in the normal list. Those normal specials will exist right up until the last day of the sale so it would be silly to rush in and get them, only to find the title you bought show up on the daily specials at a even better price.
    I have jotted down a few ones I am interested in. If they end up being a daily special I will get them. If not then I will settle for the present special price :)

18. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member

Alongside HL:2 (which id never played before, amazingly) ive also gotten the Max Payne collection and Second Sight, both of which were dirt cheap.

I agree with you, Blackice, wait and see whats coming up before buying. Im tempted to get warband for £12, but holding off just in case..:cool:

19. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Tales of Monkey Island was a good deal at £8.50 im gonna grab that

20. crowtree

crowtree Retired Captain

Bought 2 copies of Flatout total carnage for the boys and am looking at Dogfighter (a copy for each of us) and maybe Flashpoint at $4.50 sounds a bargain