Massive Steam Sale

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Reven, Jun 25, 2010.

1. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Sadly we can't get Max Payne on Steam here in Australia... They are awesome games though.

I bought Flashpoint on another sale and I really tried to give it a go (probably close to 10 hours). However, it is a bit too realistic for my liking. If you enjoy spending half an hour moving by foot through the forest just to get to your destination and then get shot by the first enemies you encounter and then repeating this 10 times until you pass the mission. Then this game might be for you. I don't think I will ever start it up again though.

2. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Todays daily selection is quite underwhelming too.:(

3. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

The game has a number of flaws, but in that respect it's meant to be more realistic (ie., "run and gun" isn't as successful) - you have to slow down, be more tactical and careful with your team rather than trying to take on all the enemy forces on your own.

I can honestly understand why folks may be frustrated by OFP DR - it certainly didn't live up to all the hype/hope/promise; but like most things, we're TOGgers and we can find a way to have fun (we've certainly had our fair shair of laughs trying to fly helicopters or drive tanks over cliffs). ;)

Best way to enjoy OFP DR is co-op with friends - don't let the game dictate how seriously you play.

4. KiwiRed

KiwiRed Getting Started

5. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Read it yesterday. Stuff we all probably know but Valve's marketing voodoo makes us forget quite successfully.

Also, the following links may be useful for people following Digital sales across the various services:
    Current PC game sales on Steam :: Provided by Didimatic.com
    Steam Sales, Specials, and Price Drops

TIP: I got frustrated the other day scrolling through the "next 10" links when browsing the specials within the Steam client as clicking a game to look at it, then going back results in you starting again at 1-10 (when you may have been up in the 100-110 range. To avoid this, open the store in your web browser of choice, and when you want to look at a game more closely use 'Ctrl Left-Click' (or equivalent) to open it in a new window, then continue scrolling through the list 10 games at a time. If you're logged into Steam through your browser then you can also add them to your Wishlist for tracking either in steam client or web browser.

Drac likes this.
  6. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Indeed this is frustrating. One of the biggest issues with the whole Web 2.0 way of loading new content in without loading a new page is that ignores the whole browser history model we've become so familiar with.

7. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Osmos is selling for $2.49, worth it in my opinion.

8. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

I use firefox.

9. PhatFreD

Well I bought the Monkey Island collection on the daily special last night. And I threw in Saporost 2 and Chains. I am really looking forward to Saporost since I loved Machinarium. It is a bit like playing a really well written and illustrated children's book.

I'll probably play Monkey Island sometime in the future when I have run out of other games to play.

10. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Samorost 2 actually: Save 50% on Samorost2 on Steam

Bought it for my wife, but she didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Machinarium. I've not played it myself though.

11. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member

Todays selection isnt bad.

I bought Shatter and Red Faction: Guerilla.

Torchlights also on sale today; if you havent already got it, get it! It comes with its own editor and has a tonne of player made mods for it already. The Void looks interesting, and Flatout is a bargain for what its priced at.

12. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Think i am going to grab Torchlight heard nothing but good things said about it.

Might check out that Sarathingmajig 2 as well never heard of that before.

13. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

If anyone bought Flatout: Ultimate Carnage today :

Failed to contact key server

14. crowtree

crowtree Retired Captain

Do all games have options to buy as a four pack or only some? Otherwise going to have to make four separate purchases for flatout ultimate carnage.

15. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Separate transactions there crowie ...

16. Reven

Reven Active Member

Got the same thing, looks like they're working on getting more, hopefully won't take long.

17. PhatFreD

Yeah, today's specials were quite decent.

Well, I will wait until Mass Effect 2 is even cheaper before getting it. I haven't even tried out Mass Effect 1 that I bought for a few bucks a few weeks ago.

Today I bought all the $2.50 game specials: Red Orchestra, Shatter and Flatout: Ultimate Carnage. I just thought... Why not?

The games that I would like to see in Daily specials are: Batman Arkham asylum, Settlers 7, Dawn of Discovery (apparently it's not called Anno 1404 again) and Dragon Age. Which games are you guys waiting/hoping for?

18. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member

Im hoping for Batman too, Fred. Im looking out for M&B Warband mainly, cant think of anything else offhand. All of the games on my wishlist are discounted, so ill wait till the 5th and buy them.

Dragon Age is on sale today youll be pleased to know :) theres also Titan Quest complete pack, Thief DS and Bioshock which are all bargains. Id also recommend Mad Balls: Babo as its a great single player or co-op game. Its one of those games thats good but has been universally ignored.

Its off sale now, but Shatter is one of the best games ive played in a long time.

19. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

I see Dragon Age is back on special - Question though

If i were to buy Awakening on steam would it work with my bought CD version or is that just mad talk?

20. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

From the store page:
    "Notice: This expansion pack requires the Steam version of Dragon Age™: Origins in order to play."