Medieval Lords - Build, Defend, Expand

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Jero, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Jero

Jero Getting Started

Hey,

Has anyone played this city builder style of game. It sounds really interesting but Iwas wondering if anyone had any first hand experience:

http://www.montecristogames.com/Etats-unis/ImageInterface/MLintro.htm

Create your city in a dangerous medieval universe

Medieval Lords places the player at the head of a medieval city which he must manage, develop, make prosperous and protect, by taking into account simultaneous external constraints of time, terrain and attacks, as well as internal constraints of the population's needs and of technological development.

The terrain is both a resource and an obstacle, allowing the town to be better protected if it is wedged between mountains, but that limits its expansion. Rivers are very useful because they generate fertile grounds and are a natural barrier against enemies.

When external attacks occur, the player has very little time to react and set up the last elements of his defence: to destroy bridges and to close the access roads, to empty the most exposed granaries, to position his troops and defence weapons, etc. Will the attack be smashed to pieces against the defences or will half the city be plundered?

But the danger can also come from within: the population also has needs and desires which will need to be satisfied, or else the city-dwellers will leave the town, and economy will go down.
    In managing the city, the player has access to the help of 6 indicators family: Population, Food, Serenity, Defence, Budget and Technology. Each has his or her own constraints, sometimes contradictory with the other ones.

Lastly, the organization of the various parts of the city is essential because it allows both the free movement of the goods and men, and a progressive defence. The player must manage both the constraints of each zone between the low city (populous and agricultural), the average city (commercial and a place of passage), and the high city (strengthened and rich).

A full 3D city builder bringing graphic richness and depth of play
    • The city, its buildings and inhabitants are visualized in a realistic way for a living representation of the city: street animations, buildings' evolution, visualization of the enemy attacks
    • The freedom of construction is total, both for the buildings which can be built anywhere on the chart, and for the road network free of any grid
    • Graphics allows details and diversity of the gameplay elements: defence weapons, special buildings, character animations...

A management specifies needs for the inhabitants and city
    • The needs are split up into 6 topics which are Water, Food, Serenity, Health, Social, Defence.
    • For each need, an indicator family is at hand to help the player.
    • Management can be overall and building-by-building.

An immediate graphic feedback of the player's performance
    • The city's visual aspect changes with the neighbourhoods' quality and the richness of its inhabitants (more or less elaborate houses)
    • Attacks, riots, and invasions are visible, and the city suffers immediate visual damage
    • The city also changes with technological evolutions, as new buildings and new defences are made available...

The environment influences the gameplay directly
    • Hills are natural defences against invaders, but also slow the city's expansion.
    • Rivers provide water and make agriculture easier,
    • High-altitude are more effective for breeding livestock,
    • Harvest season depends on the type of crops.

The player has diverse situations to manages during the game
    • External attacks: install watch-towers, build walls and advanced outposts...
    • Organize the city's economy to develop an agricultural city, to build commercial routes, ...

2. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

It looks like a medieval sim-city.

I'll check it out if I see it on the shelves.

3. Jero

Jero Getting Started

Just read the IGN review and they didn't paint a very rosie picture. Apparently very Sim City like but there were a few but's in his review. I'd say I will enjoy it as I like to build something then watch the people around the building do everything else but it won't for everyone:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/562/562549p1.html

The icing on the cake was that, despite the patch that must be installed out of the box, the game is plagued with bugs that had me wishing I could raze my own city to ashes. In one of the first campaign scenarios, I spent two hours taking over the entire map only to encounter a bug the kept me from completing the level and, ultimately, forced me to start over. In the next go around, I had worked for an hour and half to soothe my citizens and arm my forces when the interface completely crashed on the cusp of battle. In more than a dozen hours of gameplay, I experienced a total of 10 bugs that required me to either reload or completely restart the campaign I was playing.

Medieval Lords isn't all bad, but it offers extras that I don't think most gamers will enjoy. A great deal of attention was paid to a first person perspective that allows you to whoosh through your city's streets and see the world from the perspective of a citizen. It's painstakingly detailed. If you fly past a tavern, you hear the ruckus of patrons inside. You hear the cluck of poultry when you zero in on a hen house, and it looks impressively good. This view will provide an interesting little niche for the sentimental types that care about their digital citizens, but outside of being an interesting aesthetic extra, this feature offers no value to the gameplay experience.

4. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

the game was developed by Monte Carlo (I think), Whom has some of the best ideas in the gaming industry and the worst execution ever.

I would suggest you to play the Demo and see how you go.

5. Jero

Jero Getting Started

I have found it in EB for $50 but Evil Genius was next to it and it grabbed my interest more.....

6. Sloffe

Sloffe Active Member

Zest has it for around AU$17 and $12 postage. Sounds like it could be an interesting game if they can fix the bugs.

7. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

Are most of Zest's games instruction manual in Thai?

8. Sloffe

Sloffe Active Member

Some are, some aren't. You need to check each one but they usually say on the particular web page for each game.

9. Jero

Jero Getting Started

The main idea when ordering from Zest is to not get the box or the manual as these items will increase the cost of your shipping, sometimes quite a bit. Most games have the manual on the CD as well.