Metro 2033's DX11 Glory

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Reoh, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Screenies at the LINK. Phwoar, I knew that 5850 was a good choice.

2. Morlak

Morlak Active Member

Very interesting, i may have to push the purchase of my new computer up, but those plans depend on when NVidia finally launches their new DX11 cards, although if they keep draggin their feet i may have to switch to ATI (not a big fan).

3. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

The great thing about ATI cards, no more "nVidia driver has stopped responding" issues. :p

4. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I'm also waiting for the NVIDIA GF100 to be released.
    That with Windows 7 equals fun times :mrgreen:

5. JON2010spb

JON2010spb Just Joined

i wait Nvidia Fermi :(

I NV fan.

Metro 2033 will likely sooner than Fermi :(

6. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Wasn't there going to be an announcement on the GF100 today/monday?

7. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

This is my first ATI card ever, and I've no regrets at all. Very pleased. I'd still like to see what nVidia's going to put up against them though.

8. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

hmmm eye candy. :)

hmmm Crysis: oblivious it's not a in-game screenshot but with Dx11 is a distinct possibility?

[​IMG]

but this is a screenie... not too much different from Metro?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Fermi = GTX480 (GF100 was the internal name).

Dynamic tessellation is interesting, but I'm still wary of how much of an impact DX11 is going to have, given we're smack bang in the middle of the 360 and PS3 lifecycles and neither of those machines can use it - I just can't see a lot of developers going out of their way to support it unless they're doing a PC only title. Further to that, most companies doing PC only titles don't develop for top-end video cards unless you're a fool like Crytek and want everyone to pirate your "rich kids only" game.

10. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

11. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Dynamic tessellation on DX11 games does look very nice, especially when it's in relation to anything cloth based like flags, clothes etc and it's nice to see water behave more lifelike when it ripples properly as you enter it.
    I run duel ATI HD5850 cards in my rig and sadly the only game I have at the moment the uses DX11 is Colin McCrae's Dirt 2 game. Battlefield Bad Company 2 out very soon will support DX11, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out against the current DX10 beta. :)

12. Leevers

Leevers Guest

Vulcan you mention the game DiRT2. I must admit as far as DX11 games go, DiRT2 has definitely set a benchmark in high end gaming. The likes of BC2 and other DX11 I am yet to see come anywhere close in comparing in quality and all round fantastic performance. I only have the 1 ATI HD5870 and getting 80fps with everything maxed on DiRt2.

Where video cards are concerned, I won't be purchasing another Nvidia again as ATI has just blown any of my previous experiences I may of had with Nvidida. The future may tell another story, but for the time being I'm one happy bloke.

13. Leevers

Leevers Guest

14. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

As far as Dirt 2 goes, the game looks pretty much exactly the same in Direct X 9:

YouTube - Dirt 2 - DirectX 9 vs DirectX 11 Split Screen Benchmark

Like I said, developers are not likely to spend that much time developing for DX11 specific features when the two biggest platforms, the 360 and PS3, don't support the added features it provides. Up until about 6 months before the release of the 360 a lot of games were still built to DirectX 8 standards with a few DX9 bits tacked on for almost the same reason (like Half Life 2, NFS:MW ect) the only game that really pushed DX9 in 2005 was FEAR.

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

16. Leevers

Leevers Guest

I wouldn't even take into account consoles in my posts as I don't use them, but I have seen DiRT2 on console, and as I have it on PC it does look a lot better than console. I read somewhere that when comparing console to PC, you'd be looking at console gfx settings set to medium as opposed to PC's high.
    Regardless of DX support on consoles, as for graphics and gameplay.... this is the most detailed and realistic game I've played to date, and I still think it's a benchmark.
    The likes of BC2, and other DX11 games currently out, I'm yet to see anything that can blow me away as much as this game does, and I look forward to future releases where focus and time is spent on the finer details of a game.

Forcing DiRT2 in DX9, and then playing it in DX11, noticeable difference on PC.