Microsoft: Hardly anyone plays FPS games on the PC anymore

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Drac, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

Too true. It's like listening to F%^kn Ke$ha and Katy Perry all day. They can mrket garbage to a large audience and make money, so they do.

I also disagree about Tribes being the progenitor. Bunnyhopping was taken from Quake, at the very least.

And yes, Auto-Aim is for console kiddies cos they can't aim properly. With the mouse you can decide where to shoot, with the sticks you can only decide which way you want to turn. Not that people don't get very proficient with the sticks, but they still can't snap-shot, and their marketplace suffers from being entry-level and oversimplified.

and yes, that Kudo Tsunoda guy is a tool, or at least a mouthpiece. He has a bright shiny new toy so he has to pimp it or he gets fired, so he becomes a douche. I don't see this transforming FPS gaming any more than i saw FPs gaming transform chess. It works, so you can't mess with it. People still use treadmills when they could be out running. PPl will still use the mouse because it's a great way of creating an experience, complexity and integration are one thing, realism has nothing to do with it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Thank the gaming gods for Blizzard eh? ;)

3. Cindax

Cindax World of Warcraft Officer

What an absurd thing to say but when they say 'Hardly anyone' I assume they mean 'several million' people play FPS on the PC each day.

Snott likes this.
  4. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

I am one of those individuals that has all the console as well as PC'c.
    All platforms have a place. I finfd that on a console I can sit around with my kids and play games and generlaly stuff around with them. The PC on the other hand, the headphones go on and it is more an individual thing. Most people have access to PC's and the internet, it is my opinion that we will be heading in a new direction with gaming as the free to play move increases.
    The reality is developers go where the money is, this is because companies are driven by profit and want a competitive advantage. This also means that there will always be a space for the PC market. What will happen is that if Microsux drop the ball on PC games, which they have, someone will step in to fill the void

5. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

Maybe if people actually bought PC games, more developers would make them.

But you don't.

You whinge about how the games are "dumbed down" without even playing them, then complain when they decide not to make them any more.

Games are a business. Always have been. Always will be.

You want things to be different, then get out there and agitate for revolution and overthrow capitalism.

Milt likes this.
  6. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

I do buy them. I bought a few in a row, realised I had spent over $300 on sub-par games then decided to be more careful in future. Once upon a time games were tested and released in a playable state - and made for PC input devices. ;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Ha! You say that "you" presumably meaning the reader, doesn't buy PC games, or give them a chance?? Buddy you've picked the wrong forum for that sort of comment! :p

I've bought more than my share of PC games in the last 2 years, and most of them haven't warranted more than two days of play if they were lucky. Most games are crap. Always have been, always will be. It like golfers. Those who make it into the Pro levels are less than 1% of the better golfers out there.

I bought dozens (probably hundreds) of crap games in the nineties - same in the last decade (even more!) and most don't make the distance. But recently, they've been getting "worse" because their target audience has changed. Its a statistical fact that there's more easy money to be made with console games than PC. So they make them for console and release them on PC. It's logic, it's business, and it's crap.

But I'll keep buying crap until I find the next Desert Combat or Oblivion or EVE or whatever it is, and then I'll play that for 12 months straight :) And that there is the addiction :p

Snott likes this.
  8. delaford321

delaford321 Just Joined

The last FPS I played on a computer is Quake 3 Arena, that game was awesome. Wish I could play it on the Wii now.

9. ticklenut

ticklenut Well-Known Member

blasphemy q3 Wiirena. imagine strafe jumping lols

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  10. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Agree...

Wii = few drinks and some laughs with the missus and friends, also good for friends kids to keep them happy when visiting

360 = Some fun arcade games with mates and FPS with mates that wont HTFU and buy a PC also love Fable <3

PS3 = Fun here and there with missus and friends also some good FPS to play again with mates that wont HTFU and get a good PC

PC = My $#%*ing zone and as stated above headphones on and "Gaming in Progress" door knocker active, don't even think about bothering me will bullshit women unless its food, beer or a combination of both!

X_X

11. delaford321

delaford321 Just Joined

Wiirena haha

Damn this loyalty to the Nintendo and Apple. I'll never play a decent FPS. At least I got the new Goldeneye for Christmas. That's close.

12. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

The first game really wasn't that open ended. I mean, if you play it over again you still end up in the exact same locations and talking to the same people no matter what you do. It was just really good at disguising the train tracks you were glued to. Heaps of games have done that since but it's a bit like a magic trick, the first time you see it you're like "ooh wow", then if they do it again you're like "meh, seen it, lame".

13. goto

goto Getting Started

if this is anything to go by im guessing pc is still tops

14. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Oh that's so naughty. Halo was originally written for PC, but MS scraped the work so they would have a game for the upcoming first release xbox. I remember the hoo-haa about it. They game studio was going off at the mouth about the dastardliness of it and how the game was dumbed down to a fraction of it's potential. They rewrote history

edited a few moments later...

Here's what "really" happened...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  15. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

My question is why the hell would anyone play an FPS on a console? They are crap for FPS!

All of my FPS is on PC, and I have a PS3, PS2, and Wii, that my kids use, but I wouldn't touch an FPS on them. Well I lie, I tried, I hated and I will never buy another for them. PC is like 100 times better for FPS. If FPS went solely console I would give up the genre I prefer rather than swicth to console.

Alternatively, give me a mouse and keyboard for a console and I will play on them.

16. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

+1 to FPS for PC

However given a little time it can be ok ... Killzone 2 I enjoyed, then again I guess if it was on PC I would have played it there LOL

I think you can use mouse and keyboard with PS3? Not sure on gaming though?

17. Zudalian

Zudalian Retired Captain

If the devs actually made PC games for us to buy instead of just re-releasing console based games redone into PC format where you need a controller, people would buy more. Until then its bascially like beating your head against a wall until you have only a bloody stump left.