Minecon "scandal" :D

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Obsi, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Ohh... teh interwebs are abuzz!

Seems Notch is not happy with Yogscast.... who aren't back yet, so haven't made an official comment yet other than to say they will comment when they get back...

Notch's tweets:
    Twitter

• We also learned who not to work with at Minecon. Shame.. :/
    • Other than that, Minecon was perfect! :D
    • I'm very sorry about the behavior of the people we won't work with any more. Celebrity or not, you don't f-bomb kids.
    • Yes, Yogscast.
    • Wow. Hate, insults and threats are flooding in from Yogscast fans. I'll stop biting my tongue now.
    • Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop.
    • They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).
    • And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big and that we should thank them more than anyone else in the community. They're total dicks
    • A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "**** you" there instead.
    • Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos.
    • All this said, I'm very tired at the moment, and this will probably pass. I do like the work they do, very much.

Athene has something to say

Total Biscuit has had something to say:
    TotalBiscuit comments on Hate, insults and threats are flooding in from Yogscast fans. I'll stop biting my tongue now.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. BlackD

BlackD Server Admin

Oooh exciting. :D A shame - I love the Yogscast guys, but they shouldn't act like this. :\

EDIT: I remember Athene's first "Greatest Paladin in the World" video years ago, but I can't find the original anywhere. :( Just other subsequent "greatest paladin in the world" videos by him. Anyone have linky?

3. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Notch of course is now on holidays, but part of the problem is Notch humour doesn't equal Yogscast humour. I suspect that a lot of this is a misunderstanding but Notch hasn't exactly handled it very well. At least there weren't any phones being thrown or racist comments. We'll leave that to other celebrities.

Sorontar

4. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

I don't know... I love the Yogscast guys too.... and it I wouldn't have picked them as being divas and nasty...

But I'm watching the Notch interview they did, and it's coming across strongly, and I'm only a little way in, that Notch is taking what they say far more seriously than Yogs intend....

Also he didn't really seem to know who they were, so I don't think he has been watching them, so won't be familiar with them

Like right at the start when they are talking about the microphone, and Lewis jokes has he ever considered a job on tv, and Notch answers seriously.

So I can see how maybe it's come about because Notch doesn't quite "get" them, and they joke about like you would a friend, and Notch doesn't appreciate that maybe.

5. BlackD

BlackD Server Admin

Simon: "Oh, I thought you meant it in a romantic.. setting"
    Notch: "Do you mean sex?"

.. Subtle dude.. subtle. Indeed, it seems that Notch doesn't really get much about these guys at all. And must not be all that familiar if he had trouble picking up who was who just from their individually distinct voices.. Doesn't get their jokes half the time, etc. :\

6. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

In most interviews with Notch that I have seen, he doesn't get any humorously intended or casual comments by the interviewer. I think he needs to utilise Carl better as CEO. Make him more the face of Mojang than Notch. Let Notch be the face of the games only.

Minecraft needs to be less Notch's game and more the work of Mojang.

Sorontar

7. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

I think, whatever the situation was, it was unwise and unfair to post to twitter about it like that...

I can see how people could be disappointed in the Yogscast panel... especially if they expected a Q&A. But then that's not really anyone's fault.... unless it was specified that their panel was a Q&A thing..... it could be that Yogscast felt that rather than talk about them, it would be better to pay tribute to the work of others too.

I note there was mention of not being paid in the Notch interview :D I don't know, but I'd probably expect a company as wealthy as Mojang, to cover the airfares of at least Simon & Lewis to get there and their admission.. since I think they would have been a fairly major component of the event... So I can definitely see how they would ask and try to persuade them to give them payment (of some kind) for being there... and frankly, I think it would be fair enough.

It's interesting too that there are differing opinions of the same events... I've been reading that redit page... there's one account where a friend of someone asked for one of the stage signs, and was later tracked down and apparently a yogscast person demanded to give it back and it was snatched off them. Then later someone posts saying they were the person who took the sign back (an event volunteer, not a yogscast person), and that they didn't snatch it.

And another where someone says they were a volunteer and that Yogscast demanded to be let in to play Cobalt early, and were snappy when told to leave, and a different volunteer says they asked, not demanded, and were not narky about leaving... and they were supposedly also filming and talking to the devs - so more a reporting type thing than an "I'm a celeb, let me in early" thing.

So that shows there are different ways of looking at things.

8. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

(ok, I admit it, I'm hooked.... Apparently Demi Moore and Ashton whatshisface split, and I could give a rats, but this is my kind of celebrity gossip - fascinating :D)

Someone on the Yogs FB posted this, which would be hilarious if true:

9. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Well, it would be true to form for Notch:

10. Misnik

Misnik Retired Architect

As far as being paid or not. speaking from experience ( I have actually run several gaming conventions -make the nightmares stop- ) It really comes down to if they were invited as guest speakers or not. If it was we want you to come to our convention and have a Q/A panel and other events then they should ask for compensation.

My first con that I worked on we had Margret Weis and let me tell you it is not cheap to get someone with name recognition to show up :) The last one I was involved with was almost 16 years ago so I'm out of practice. Vendors are the devil spawn :D I mean it was great fun actually.

11. Stuman

Stuman Guest

12. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Yeah, I thought it was a little strange that Mojang had to ask for people to put their hands up to do panels a couple of months ago. I wonder if MinecraftTeacher et al were all treated the same as each other. I mean the Bukkit crew did a panel, but they are now partially employed by Curse. I am never sure who you would have considered to be professional speakers. But as you said, it might depend on whether they were invited or not. I recall that Deadmau5 only came for the afterparty because Mojang paid for his airfare. I suspect that he would have been regarded as a guest because he was professionally providing a service to them by DJing/performing. I don't know whether the Yogscast crew would be regarded as the same.

Apparently, not all the Mojang staff and Minecon attendees were well treated by the nightclub staff at the afterparty. Some people didn't like Lydia's bubbliness and the way she aimed for the younger audience when speaking. Stuff happens. As a whole, it sounds like Minecon was a success, but Mojang may leave it to the fans in the future. We will see.

Sorontar

13. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Not sure I would call them parasites, but yes they profit off of Mojang and maybe should remember that, Mojang and Notch own them nothing.

14. DarkDuck

DarkDuck Guardian Captain

The thing here is two fold
    1 the british humour is sarcasm and wit. notch seems to lack this understanding
    2 professionalism. matters of pay etc need to be addressed privstely. the matter in which notch addressed this was wrong, if the yogs said what is claimed then that is not good. but is no excuse for this behaviour. very disappointed by notch tbh

15. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

yeah I don't think it's fair to consider them parasites really - I mean, they do sell merch and take donations on their site, but presumably a fair whack of the profits from that go to server hosting for their website/forum and their public minecraft servers (they did have 2 until recently, now they have one open only to subscribers not just any old man and his dog).

In a general sense, no Notch/Mojang don't owe them anything... but a convention is made better by the events and people who appear at it, and the addition of people like Yogscast, who do panels and whatnot are really essential for something like Minecon.. Not saying they need to have them specifically, but they need to have people who are well known in the community.... to help boost the amount of stuff available for the paying guests. So in some respects, yes... Mojang do owe them and everyone else who was part of the event, because they overall help carry the event.

16. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Perhaps Notch should watch lots of Blackadder and Yes (Prime) Minister.

Sorontar

17. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

18. Sp!at

Sp!at Well-Known Member

Yogscast have a symbiotic/parasitic relationship with MineCraft. Yogscast wouldn't survive without MineCraft and MineCraft is better because of Yogscast.

1. Yogscast should be paid for their attendance. Minecon would have been much less without them.
    2. Yogscast should have been given guidelines on what they were to present. Both Yogscast and Mojang have zero experience in running conferences and it shows.

I know from first-hand experience that humour across different cultures often flops on its face. And that makes it even funnier when relived afterwards. :D

19. DarkDuck

DarkDuck Guardian Captain

actually Yogs Cast was huge prior to Minecraft, they review loads of games and get sent games by developers to review.

This is what hte youtube has offered in the world, an viral advertising ability. either way both have profited, hence it's a symbyotic relationship (Yogs paid for their mine craft soo, that means minecraft is getting free advertising...)

frankly Notch I think over reacted this is a storm in a tea cup

20. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

I'd write it down to Notch being tired. Also he's never been very good at keeping his mouth shut when it should be (Bethesta lawsuit for example). I'd say he's the typical engineer; good at putting stuff out, but very bad at keeping stuff in ;)

It's weird though that he doesn't get their humor, typically Swedes like British humor, Monty Python for example are very popular in Sweden.