Mining Turtle Restrictions

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Cheith, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

Hi,
    curious on the mining turtle restriction to one turtle, and the reasons why.

Only real reason I am asking is I am confused. Based on the rules I can have any number of turtles chopping trees, tilling and harvesting, moving stuff around but only one mining turtle.

One programmed turtle can never mine anywhere near as quickly as a quarry operating at full power - assuming you just don't wish the turtle to disappear into the distance until it runs out of fuel.

So, just wondering if one mining turtle is a bit over restrictive.
    Thanks,
    Keith.

2. Gedarn

Gedarn Retired Captain

CPU wise a mining turtle takes as much resources to operate as a 9x9 quarry. So only one of each.
    It's not about not letting you have more than one it is about trying to help the poor server.

white_bear_84 likes this.
  3. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

But why would a mining turtle use more CPU than say a tree chopping turtle?

4. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

This is where I am confused - as Daed says any turtle will take an equivalent number of resources. The main difference with a mining turtle will possibly be that it breaks blocks at a greater frequency than any other turtle you program.

I will happily leave things at just one mining turtle, but there just doesn't seem to be any real logic unless the limit was one turtle full stop. Otherwise it makes more sense to say that you can have a maximum of X turtles running, doing whatever you wish if it is a server load issue.

5. Gedarn

Gedarn Retired Captain

The logic comes from people deciding that they can have 20 of them. So the one mining rule stands.

6. OranjeJus

OranjeJus Freshly Squeezed Staff Member Moderator

Yes, destroy all turtles! Throw them into a volcano!

Good work Cheith.

- OJ

7. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

As cheith said though someone can have 1 turtle dedictated to mining but 19 turtles doing other things and thats okay which makes no logical sense. I think that is the point cheith and daed are trying to make. Me personally i dont use turtles anymore at all, so it doesnt effect me really but i understand the confusion on it because the rule is very confusing lol.

8. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

Sorry, this doesn't make sense. So, I can have a couple of dozen turtles doing things like farming and moving stuff about, but as long as only one mines I am fine.

Not that I intend to do such a thing, just logic checking. I have no problem with rules, just get a little confused with those that make little sense.

But, if it is one for mining, whatever.

PS: never brought this up before as this is the first time I have played with mining turtles

9. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

From what I understand it is because the mining turtles cause the same amount of lag as quarries; I do not know if other turtles have the same impact.

I would only assume the other turtles are far less CPU intensive or not used as much generally?

10. OranjeJus

Ok, as no one seems too keen on the volcano sacrifices, how about recycling them instead?

Turtle soup anyone?

- OJ

11. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

All turtles are pretty much the same - they continuously execute a program while running. The only variability comes in their block breaking ability.

Mining turtles can, in theory, break blocks pretty quickly but (at least in my experience) nothing like a full speed quarry. This is especially true if you build a smart turtle that, for example, strip mines in the way that you or I would to cut down on cobble generation. The turtle also does not continuously feed a pipe/tube system with blocks adding to even more lag for the quarry.

Like many of these things, though, it depends on how you program the turtle.

Maybe I should just go back to an mfr automated tree farm, feeding automated charcoal generation, feeding 2 boilers, driving 13 steam engines and with all the piping and gates that entails just to support a full power quarry. That would cause less lag than a single turtle, right?

12. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

I suspect the soup from these turtles would have too much of a metallic taste for my liking!

13. DeeP

DeeP Retired Captain

I personally think the restriction re 'mining' turtles as opposed to other turtles had allot to do with people gathering huge amounts of resources super fast, which in turn requires much larger storage set ups, more items going through transport pipes and people getting to high end machinery allot faster..... which then creates a larger load on the server as a whole

Slowing down the resource gathering gives us a chance of delaying the inevitable struggle we have seen the servers go through when allot of people are at end game with their machinery.

Not everyone has the hours to spend daily racing to end game so allowing the server the best chance as a community to last a little longer makes sense to me, and I am personally doing everything possible to take my time this time to lesson my own impact on others (just my opinion :) )

14. Bru

Bru Guardian Captain

Mining turtles run constantly.
    Other turtles spend a lot of their time in a sleep state.

The difference is chalk and cheese as far as server load goes.

15. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

Now that makes sense. Does that mean we are also limiting laser drills to 1 per person? It seems only fair since those take a tremendous amount of infrastructure to run.

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Active Member

Any of you turtle guys used them with a personal anchor? For me the turtle stops when I leave the area.

I've got some plants in the range of the anchor and they grew while I was away so it appears to be working apart from the turtle.

Only way I can do it atm is to place a quarry to keep the chunks I'm mining active.

17. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

Afraid not. My turtle mines long strips so it would not really help me. If I remember correctly your anchor only holds down a total of 9 chunks (3x3 with the anchor at the center), so if your turtle went outside that it would stop.

18. DarrenM

DarrenM Active Member

Mine does strips as well, but I put the anchor/quarry 1/2 way down so I should be able to set it to do up to 46 blocks long. 2 spare spots for the turtle and for a chest behind it. Since we're limited to default with the quarry the max is 32 which is probably enough really. Just wasn't sure the anchor was working properly.

Guess I need to get the deep dark set up so I can put a max size quarry as an anchor, with the personal anchor hopefully keeping my base active to receive the goods.

19. OranjeJus

My quarry consists of:

1 iron chest
    1 void pipe
    1 diamond pipe
    1 cobblestone pipe
    1 aqueous accumulator
    2 water source blocks
    1 steam dynamo
    And a quarry, obviously

I'm about to upgrade it with a hopper to get a top-to-bottom 9x9 hole in 1 run (instead of the 2 extra refuelling visits it currently needs.)

I start my quarries from level 44 at the moment, and guesstimate around 1 minute per level so about 45 minutes to dig a hole.

Not being allowed more than 9x9 just makes things require a bit of effort to pick up and move the setup over and over. Hence why I run slow at low power, otherwise I'd never have time to RTB and work on my house and garden. If I had a tesseract... well... I haven't even seen an enderman yet so...

Wait, I think there was a point to my story somewhere...

Nah, just I have a slow quarry it seems...

- OJ

20. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

I thought that was only on the old server, when did we go back to the max 9x9 rule? Did i miss something somewhere? *is confused*