Multiplayer undergeared?

Discussion in 'Destiny (Public)' started by Shazoo, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

had a chance to play destiny before my ps4 stopped accepting discs all together, and was wondering, is the playlist on the left side the only playlist that doesn't use gear you found in game? I decided to try the crucible at level 19 and instantly got crushed by a team of 28's that all seemed to reflect my bullets, before noticing the competitive playlist that said "level advantage disabled". Surely that's not the Only MP that's on a fair playing field? How does the multiplayer work?

2. DataShade

DataShade Getting Started

No, that's the Crucible "working as intended."

Take solace in the fact that Crucible Marks are distributed evenly, and the exotic weapons and legendary engrams are rewarded entirely at random - even if your KDR is 0.01, you could walk out with a shiny golden gun and they could get nothing.

3. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

I seriously hope they fix it, since it reminds me of open world pvp in world of warcraft, where level and gear mattered, and skill, not so much. There's a ton of sites out there now with bloggers, and forums alike complaining about the multiplayer. I'm afraid if they don't adjust it, people will move on. I'm already looking towards Master Chief Collection to get my PVP fix if destiny stays this way.

4. DataShade

DataShade Getting Started

Level only matters because the gear is level-locked. Right? That's the most offensive part: Bungie went out of their way to mitigate levels in some ways - a level 3 weapon and a level 18 version of the same weapon do the same base damage - but then it's like they forgot that you don't pick the class ability you get when you level up, so the best ones for PVP are all past level 15, and that the weapon perks you unlock by levelling up weapons just don't exist on low-level weapons.

It would have been easier - less work on them, better for everyone else - if they'd just made PVP matchmaking level based, or if they'd found a way to tally the XP required to unlock the current subclass abilities and weapon mods and matched based on that.

5. Tassit

Tassit Getting Started

This is all well and good but I leveled my Hunter from 5-17 doing PVP only and managed to get top score every game. Crazy weapons are only so effective if your skill as a player is terrible.

6. Briareus

Briareus Getting Started

The advantages higher level players will have are:
    - All class perks unlocked. Usually the last perk is pretty sweet eg. extra grenades
    - All weapon and armour perks unlocked. Especially on legendary / exotic gear, this can be pretty significant.

That's about it. You'll do the same base damage and have the same health as them (provide you're specced into toughness perks), however as anyone who PvP knows, even a relatively small advantage is magnified.

There are some things you can and should do to level the playing field, namely:
    - Run with an auto rifle at all times, and go for headshots. ARs are ridiculously unbalanced in PVP at the moment. Patch incoming, but in the mean time...
    - Best secondary is either a shotgun in cramped maps (point blank range only), or sniper in large 'vehicle' maps
    - Figure out where the heavy ammo spawns on each map, and make a beeline for it when the 'Heavy Ammo Incoming' call goes out. Use whichever you like, they're both good.
    - Run with other TOG folks and use voice chat to coordinate.

Each of these will improve your PvP experience greatly, especially starting out. For the shotgun, practice a 1-2 move where you get in their face, shotgun+melee for the instakill. If they're not dead, melee again. The biggest one is really coordination though - if there's 3 of you all running together, covering each other, flanking enemies, it doesn't matter what the gear/level difference is, they'll go down.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014