MW2 DLC = ripped off!

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Harry Reems, May 19, 2010.

1. hoppy

hoppy Guardian Captain

So why release the game for the PC then if they aren't focused on it (as you say)

2. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Because people will buy it, irrespective of how much time or effort they choose not to put into it ...

3. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Jig's right, with a few rare exception, you should now try to see most cross-platform games from a different perspective. The PC market alone isn't big enough to support all of it's potential niches, Valve has a few of them covered due to it's history and multiple revenue channels, and you'll get the occasional developer that is very PC centric and trying to cater to a particular niche market, but the majority of large budget retail games will play by different rules.

Does this mean PC gaming is crap?

No, not at all. PC gamers get all of those cool developers like Valve, Blizzard, Ironclad (Sins of a Solar Empire), and a slew of other indy developers cranking out small and large titles alike to cover a massive range of game types. We also benefit a lot from the console market. If it wasn't for all the console gamers forking over truckloads of cash we wouldn't see anywhere near as many large budget action games as we currently do because it just wouldn't be possible to build those multi million dollar games just for PC players. We should be thankful that we get fruit from both trees, some of it may be a wee bit sour to our lips, but we have it none the less.

Of course that doesn't mean we aren't stung when we loose IPs like Call of Duty to the console development lifecycle, but after a time something or someone usually steps in to fill the gaps they leave behind. Although I'm still waiting for Blackfoot studios (ex Red Storm devs) true PC tactical shooter after Ghost Recon & Rainbow Six went console.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

QFT...TF2 and the support they give it, is like an ad for their sales platform.

5. camdy

camdy Well-Known Member

jig alot of people don't enjoy having to install a 3rd party program to play a game eg:total war game that was the only reason why i re-installed steam but you will find most people install steam because of the games valve makes and valve make an have made some top selling games and they still sell alot of those games years after the release date.

now with cod4mw2 well they stuffed up not only for the pc gamers but also for the console gamers too yes this game was marketed toward the console side but the cod franchie is a pc marketed game thats where they make their money thats where they build up the community and i think you missed the point Jig your looking at activision where as we're looking at CoD.
    its also the 2nd attempt to make a console only CoD game and its the 2nd time its failed

6. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

That there is quite a significant statement. Activision, or EA for that matter, have a obligation to maximise their return. If they decide that customer loyalty and satisfaction would do that better than producing short life blockbuster titles then you can be certain they'd be doing it. Unfortunately they don't and looking at it from that angle it's hard to blame them (as much as I hate the result as a PC gamer).

Just look at the huge second hand console game market, if that's not proof positive of the generally short term life of console games I don't know what is. There are of course exceptions (gamers and games) but there's little motivation and likely increased risk creating games with extended lifetimes if it's not being effectively monetised.

For these companies, customer loyalty has become a question of "Will the majority of gamers who bought version X of this IP last year at full retail price, buy version X+1 of this IP this year at full retail price". Whether we as discerning gamers like it or not, the masses will buy, thus the company directors would be fiducially negligent to instead try and extend the game life with significantly reduced returns.

As I've alluded above, CoD is just an IP asset of Activision and to them one that engenders loyalty (at least up until now, and likely for a few more years despite recent events). You can't separate CoD from Activision, it existence is inexplicitly a product of Activision's goals.

Activision's profit from MW2 would tend to dispute such a statement (when viewed in light of my discussion above).

All that said, I refused to pay for what was served up under the name MW2 and wouldn't pay $15 for what was essentially 3 maps which I wouldn't perceive as being value to me.

7. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Really? I'd still pay $15 for three well developed maps if it was for a game I played on a nightly basis. I mean, that's less than a pizza which will keep me happy for about 2 hours, after which I'll just feel fat...er.

I find it quite odd how a person's sense of value for money skews to extremes when it comes to video games.

8. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

I just spent $19 on pizza and $40 for scotch...............now what game to play?

9. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

we've been spoilt by years of quality PC titles

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Haha, yeah. Well, either that or we were just to stupid to know that they were crap.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  11. Mr5.me

Mr5.me Getting Started

Spinning around a planet called Sun, you too ?
    = ripped off! - max 1 $ - in some time it will probably be in the game at purchase

The Call of Duty: Black Ops Release Date: 09/11/2010
    they say .... £34.99 for Pre-order

I did boycott the dlc and did buy bc2 for 20 euro on g2
    - as said, mw2 was a cod4 optimized version with some new environment

12. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Sales figures suggest otherwise.

Infinity Ward defends UK MW2 PC sales News | PC | Eurogamer

"...more than 1.7 million sales in five days ...the PC version accounted for just three per cent of that figure..."

Slow Sales = No Respect for Modern Warfare PC Players | GameLife | Wired.com

"The boxed PC version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sold around 170,000 units in November ... Compared to the 6 million units the game shifted on consoles in one month, that’s a rounding error."

13. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Do those sales include steam/d2d? Would those sales out strip retail?

I know GamersGate and Impulse boycotted MW2PC. Not sure if Gamestop's digital purchases are tracked either. I can't imagine digital sales would make up more than 50% of the PC volume but sales wise that's been a big unknown for PC for some time now.

I was thinking it'd be interesting to see how quickly Starcraft II hits 5 million, but then realised Blizzard has it's own digital store and only they will keep track of sales volume on it, so we may never really know.

14. camdy

camdy Well-Known Member

simple put pc gamers are not going to buy a crap multiplayer and the reviews stated that

15. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

true...apparently a decent percentage of the console buyers never/rarely went online

16. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

With the general trash that comes from pub gaming online, more so with FPS games, I'm not at all surprised. In fact, I'd probably be more worried for humanity on a whole if all 6 million were online yet the trashiness was still the the norm.

17. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

Playing an FPS on a console, for me, would be like trying to drive a car while standing on my head :)

If the console kiddies are willing to splurge out $15 for a couple of maps that's their loss. I'll stick to TF2 and happily have an abundance of new and diverse maps that cost a whopping nothing! :D

18. Harry Reems

Yes true, I am writing it from a PC perspective. Though it was also released on the PC. This means that I am within my rights to complain about the concept of charging $15 for something that was actually offered for free with other versions of the PC COD series.

Personally I am more amazed that people are willing to even buy this tripe. The amount of people that whinged, moaned, bitched and complained about the lack of dedicated servers. These same people went out and bought it in the end. Then those same people seem to condone paying $15 for something they have gotten for free the past 10 years? What is wrong with this picture?

This sort of stuff becomes the sign of the times if people allow it. I made a vow I would NOT buy this game due to a lack of dedicated servers. I have held true to this promise. The $15 MP upgrade has just bolstered my reason to not buy this game.

I must admit I borrowed a copy and played the underwhelming and extremely short SP component, but I never bought it :)

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  19. Mr5.me

Mr5.me Getting Started

Spinning around a planet called Sun, you too ?
    If they got paid for the map pack

they maybe should get another job,
    since that map pack was a bit, wast of time

As said, many people create maps and for no money at all

So I see this threade as legal topic and fell it is right to say
    - hey I fell there is something wired here, is this a ripped off or what ?

and as we all know, we love new maps, I even know players
    who track servers with maps they have not played before
    ( I have and do this me self )

Even Unreal Tournamt goty still have players
    that plays the game - and there monster hunt mod
    was allso a made of the good hearted people
    - and have many maps is there not for ut goty ???

And truth is, we sometimes donate some $ to a cup of coffee
    when we see all the free work they do - not to mention the respect we fell
    to those good hearted people, creating fun for all players for free
    in there spare time .. cool, respect man !

As the STALKER Complete packet from artistpavel.com

Maybe they should have hired some of the good hearted people
    to create a map pack for mw2 instead of pulling our leg on us

and yes, pc players like the community around the game
    they like it so much, as if it is not there, they fell
    they miss out something, same reason why players join clans, game community's probably

So talk about market sells but dont forget pc players way of playing
    many games would be forgotten without the good hearted people

Do to the have ever good a game is, after some time you get bored of it
    and new maps or mods form the good hearted people is a most
    so that we still want to play that game

Try selling the mw2 map pack to the Unreal Tounament players/ community, goty,2004,ut3

what would there respond be ?
    have hard they ever tried to show on market sells to justify Such a map pack as mw2 dlc

I'm quite sure those mappers would need a new job .. but this is just my opinion

- did I say anything about the server join, wating ... and you can not have a
    favorite server list :w but that is just my view as a pc player :rolleyes:

20. Harry Reems

We do also feel the same way about DVD's as well. It's been proven that the more extra's there are (or DVD's in a box) will attribute to sales. People are not willing to pay $30 for a single DVD movie, though they will pay $32 for a double.

I don't even really think it is all to do with a sense of value. Modding and mapping has been around for so long, taking it away takes away not only consumers access to new content that has been designed by a modding community, it also takes away from aspiring game developers.

If modding had never existed. We would not have had games like TF, CS and DoD. All of these games became enormous commercial successes.

Valve, i have to mention again. They released their sales figures in 2008. Counter-Strike, while being completely free to download, still sold 4.2 Million retail copies as of 2008! Half-Life, in 2008 had sold 1 million copies (stand-alone, not including through Steam) every year since it's release!

But hey, while Half-Life has probably sold well over 30 Million copies over every platform it was released on. MW2 will most likely reach only half of that at most. So they need to suck up the other revenue from somewhere.