My FX5900 Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Father, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

As I was up for an upgrade of my GFX card (GF3), I waited for the 9700, 5800, 9800, 5900.

So I finally got this FX5900 about week and a half ago now and my experience with it has not been all that great. The worst problem I experience with this card is constant screen flickering like my monitor is bad but if I put back my GF3 it's gone.
    It's not just me, it's heaps of ppl out there.
    I even swapped the card around etc, the only solution to the problem is taking the power cord out of the card as it comes with a sepereate power plug.

Card performance goes way down but the flicker is gone.
    The store is willing to give me a full refund as they have confirmed the problem as well.

I am contemplating sitting tight and wait for a fix but if pulling the plug out of the card solves the problem I can't see a software driver fix this.

The only option I have would be to get the 9800 card after all.
    Anyone exp with this one?

For those of u who have a 9700 card did that one come with a seperate power plug?

2. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I'm not really sure Father abotu the 9700. I don't recall there being one although I actually think there is. I'm too lazy to take the lid of the box so I hope someone else can answer that :)

3. puppet

puppet Getting Started

Yup the 9700 has the seperate power cable hell even my 9500Pro does and I have not had any problems at all.

Well actually I forgot to plug the cable in and it gave me an error screen on boot but once I plugged it in everything was cool! I have been extremely impressed with my 9500Pro and would love to get a 9800Pro if I had the money but the 9500 will do for now! I have not looked back since switching from Nvidia to ATI

4. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Now that's laziness for ya!

Time to get a window in your case, Rickety. :D

As Puppet said, the 9700 Pro has a separate power connector - and the forums around the place do suggest that you use a separate power line (i.e. not shared power with anything else like a hard drive) for the card.

I had a couple of issues with installing the software suite straight off the CD - caused some "Delayed Write Failed" errors, but this was apparently due to a bad Athlon XP fix with DirectX 8.1 that was included on the CD.

Very happy with my 9700 Pro now though.

Just out of curiosity, how much was the FX5900?

5. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

From the sounds of it Father, I think your card is narked or you were sold a dud. Get a RA replacement from the shop and give the new card a try.

Considering the fact that these video cards are so powerful these days, I reckon there's only a small margin of error available for these cards. Also, I'd consider the fact that nVidia and ATi would only make a chip, test it at a particular "rated" level and if the card isn't able to run it at the set parameters, then they test it at the next lower rated level, and the next until it meets the mark before they sell it at that mark.

Sounds to me that your FX5900 chip only barely made the mark, so they sold it as such, any less they would have sold it as an FX5600 chip.

Get a replacement IMO. Or get a swapsies over for a 9800Pro. Performance wise, they'd be so much on a par in real gameplay benchmarking terms you wouldn't notice a difference.

6. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red

Love my 9700 Pro. I use the separate power connector, works great with the nForce2 board.

7. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

The FX seriew are crap imo.

Too may people with issues like this, and also with performance issues.

I would go the 9700 or get something like a GF4 ti 4600 or when it comes, 4800 deluxe. my ti4600 ROCKS, 1280 x 1024, 72htz refresh and 150+fps with everything turned up, aa at 4x I drop to 60fps.

And get a good brand. No MSI, or LEADTEK etc...

8. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Amen to that, brother! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the OT Father, but Cailith - do you install the ATi control panel software as well?

9. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red

Yes I did. I installed the software that came with the card, then the Catalyst 3.6 drivers over the top.

10. Hugo a gogo

Hugo a gogo Well-Known Member

From everything I've read the whole FX range of cards blow

I don't have one and you can't always believe what you read but I'd say get out while you can and grab a 9700 or something similar

btw I'm still running a GF3 ti200 (overclocked) and I get a 3dmark 2001 score of 9500, in fact that card and the ti500 still rate in the top ten cards on 3dmark scores even today, based on that I'm sticking to my trusty Leadtek GF3 card till a new game such as HL2 or Doom break it

11. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

That's a very interesting problem. What wattage are you using in the comp? (compared to all the other things hooked up, that could be an issue) Also could the refresh rates on the monitor have anything to do with it?

I'm hoping I don't get that trouble with my Asus FX 5900 Ultra. Hopefully it will arrive at the shop late today or tomorrow and that they don't get shafted due to low supplies of the card.

12. Major_Mess

Major_Mess Retired Captain

What brand is the 5900 Father?

13. Father

It's a leadtek A350 Ultra my vivo, 256 meg model.

I'm exchanging the card tomorrow for a 9800 instead, tried everything possible, it clearly seems to be a manufacturing fault accross al FX5900 models regardless of brand.
    The hardware forums are full of it.

9800 will be a challenge as well no doubt, every card has problems but ususally drivers fix em. The FX one is hardware and I can't see any other solution.

14. Melski

Melski Well-Known Member

Hi Linflas!

I got myself the stock standard 9800 Pro last week. Never installed anything but what I downloaded from the website before I installed. No problems at all! It does have it's own power and I have actaully installed it with the power cables that are connected to the hard drives too and no problems. I have a 350w power supply too - should be able to handle anything anyway.

That's what I was first thinking when you said you were having problems - sounded like a lack of power. but still... good luck to you. BTW its on a P4 3.06 800mhz, everyone else seems to use amd so I thought Id add that. everything rules cool

15. Flame

Flame Retired Captain

I got the A350 Last Saturday and I havent noticed any problems.

As a matter of fact, I havent noticed much of a performance increase either. :?

Though the performance is very high.

16. Dillon

Dillon Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your problems Father.
    I have the FX5600 and from the day I got it it has performed extremely well.

I have no complaints and I am very happy with the card. $ for $ it is probably one of the best purchases I have ever made for my PC.

My first choice was the ATI 9800 but I was talked into buying this card and using the left over dollars to buy other things. I must say I was glad I listened this time round.

I hope the new card is everything you want and need.

Good Luck

17. Father

Got the 9800 today, I feel a windows reinstall coming up :?

I suppose that was the good thing about the nvidia, all cards run on the same drivers.
    Now if I go to my GFX control panel I have tabs for both Leadtek and ATI despite an uninstall of the nvidia card prior to installing this one.

Haven't tried games yet.

18. Father

Flicker is gone in games!

Performance is slightly lower then other games in SWG, the FX was a tad faster but still ran SWG slowly to be honest.
    That 3D engine requires a super computer.

So far so good, I just need to figure out how to get my refresh rate up in games, nvidia had a control panel for this in their latest drivers but this one doesnt seem too.

19. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Father, you should use a little program called "Detonator Destroyer" to remove all vestiges of the nVidia drivers from your system - last I checked, an XP version of the program was in the works, but this was quite a few months ago, so it might be out now.

ATi's Catalyst drivers are now up to version 3.6. Download those, and the ATi Control Panel install files separately. Don't get the complete package download that include their WDM stuff - unless, of course, you plan on doing some video streaming/inputting/etc.

SWG does seem to be quite, um, resource hungry. ;) I've found that when I visit a new area, the hard drive access light goes crazy and it gets a little choppy for a while. However, once loaded, everything is smooth as. I've factored in another stick of 512 PC3200 RAM in for next month's budget, so that should help.

20. puppet

puppet Getting Started