My FX5900 Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Father, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Got my FX 5900 Ultra on Monday. Had a few hassles with the install. Every time I tried to uninstall the previous drivers and card, XP would automatically put them back in again after a restart. Tried out the Asus enhanced drivers 44.71 and they were a heap of crap. Switched drivers back to 44.03 and I got 3 times the performance or more on 3D Mark 2003. Didn't quite get the score that is on Tomshardware (they don't list there exact settings for a full comparison), but I put that down to the fact I only have a 4xAGP slot. Not using the Asus smart doctor utility as it was causing serious lag when booting up sometimes. Also lost 2 Asus tabs in my Advanced display properties settings, but I'm not too fussed as the card does what I want it to do.

I tried putting my MX440 in my other computer as the TNT2 in it has just about had it (ghosting lines in opened windows and web pages), but the comp didn't want to accept it. It would either just freeze after the wallpaper appeared and had a green dotted line along the top of the screen or constantly restart from that screen. Luckily I will be doing a full upgrade on that comp when my tax cheque comes in.

2. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Nightlife, how loud is the FX5900? I've heard that they are very noisy and take up both the AGP slot and the PCI slot next to it. Is this true?

3. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

It was only the first version of the 5800 that was loud. This card sounds as normal as any other card at the moment. I haven't noticed it getting louder when I play a game (mainly because there are few people that would play games without sound so you wouldn't notice it).

While this card doesn't have a screw in plate that goes over the PCI slot as well, the fan/heatsink does hang down just above the PCI insertion point. So unless you have some PCI gadget that is flat on the top and you don't mind overheating the card due to lack of breathing room, you won't be using that PCI slot.

4. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

5. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Man you guys are screaming. I was and am so proud of my Gainward Geforce IV ti 4400. It kicks but, and only when I move every slider in the properties section all the way up does it start to flicker at all. Tweaked em all down just a hair and it runs like a race horse.

Always been a diehard Nvidia/\Asus/\AMD guy tho ;) ATI is a tough sell although I do use em when I need a cheap card. /duck =) JK

(yes I know what you guys are talking about isn't cheap LOL. but they do have some of the cheapest prices on low end cards around) What are the High end ones going for now?? (too lazy to look it up)