My impressions of PvE so far

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by Thymos, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

In all of my tests, I didn't get to do much PvP, because I was pretty enthralled with the PvE. I also didn't get to participate each day of each test. I've been in the tests since last summer.

I will say that the game improved significantly from the summer to the most recent test. The starting area in Cold Harbor was refined, the starting island in Eslweyr was polished.

Every time, I either played a Sorcerer or Nightblade. Both characters, I would use a bow as my primary weapon. As a sorcerer, it was very easy to use Dark Magic to hold or knock down enemies, but it was a little slow. I would use a hold, but it would take another second before I could get my next arrow pulled all the way back to shoot. Over time it got better, and the hold would last longer. The first attack skill you get, dark shard I think , which isn't listed in my other thread, is a little slow to activate, but it is pretty powerful and does a knock down.

I didn't care much for the Nightblade, because most of the abilities are melee specific.

I loved exploring, finding skyshards, doing quests that would just pop up, then while doing them another one appears and taking that one. It was sometimes impossible to turn in quests, because I'd be on my way back (not using their fast travel to wayshrines), and I would find 1 or 2 more quests or caves to explore.

I'm running out of time right now, I'll add more to this later.

2. Thunderfire

Thunderfire Just Joined

Looking forward to all the reports as I am not in the beta...at least with the NDA lifted it will take my mind off of COOKIES!!!!

3. Xyth

Xyth Getting Started

I played PvE in 4 beta events and the game has come a long way since the first beta event I was in. The player feedback has been listen to and addressed, and that is very encouraging as I expect they will continue to improve the game based on our ongoing feedback.

I initially was fairly certain I would not buy the game on release, but frankly I have come to love this game. The early leveling is intentionally slow to help the player really learn what is needed to survive after level 10 or 15. Things get much tougher then, and if you don't have the dodge and interrupt mechanics down pat, you will not last long alone. Mobs get faster and kiting is much more difficult later on. If you don't understand how synergy works and how to take advantage of it in groups you will be a liability in tougher dungeons. Take 1-10 slowly, practice your technique and enjoy the scenery!

There are still major annoyances in PvE (the limits placed on grouping on solo quests for one big one) but these will be worked out. There are no latency issues, and crashes are fortunately few. Fair stable all in all.

Each base character class is useful and fun to play. I have tried several combinations of all 4, and at low levels they all work and are fun. I didn't play far past L20, but I can say I died a lot more often from unexpected adds. Crowd control (roots/stuns) or evades are very needed for the squishy types. The mob combat AI is much better than in most games, and they will root you so their friends can smash you better. However, the mob alert radius is poor so I rarely found any need for normal sneak, and never needed rogue stealth unless escaping from trouble.

Dungeon fights take good team work and I was not able to solo any of them, which I have done in other games. Mobs are harder to agro control, but a good tank can still hold boss attention well enough.

PvE outside of dungeons is different in that there are fewer mob spawns just hanging around waiting for you to level off of. Doing quests are the best way to find experience and mobs. I did farm mud crabs for leather scraps though when I was a medium wearing type. My biggest complaint about the wilderness is there isn't much out there that you wouldn't find by following quests. There are occasional nodes to harvest, a few chests and mobs, some side quests, but not much else to interact with. I hope they finish adding interesting and random items before beta ends.

All in all I am really excited about playing this game. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about game play or characters.

4. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Crafting was phenomenal. On one of my characters, both bosmer, I found a breton style book and was starting to make breton style armor. It was funny, because people were asking me why I looked so different.

5. Wyst

Wyst Active Member

United Kingdom (well sort of United anyway)
    I think peoples early impressions of PVE will depends largely on how they spend their initial points. Getting to level 3 is basically just following the introduction tutorial. If you spend those 2 points in restoration staff and/or crafting and leave yourself no dps then life is tricky even early on.

It seems obvious, but even at low levels, pulling mobs on your own terms is far preferable to accidentally getting aggro or running heedless though mobs to get somewhere else and hoping they de-aggro. Even the chaff mobs, which most toons can kill simply, have a similar range of special attacks as a character which means that if ignored, hurt.

This is not a WOW clone. Not sure how to highlight this strongly enough, but there will be a massive number of reviews, comments, whinging and so forth now the NDA is lifted and inevitably everything new in the genre gets compared to the juggernaut which took over the MMORPG world. I have been through multiple games since WOW's release all of whom seem to have tried to drag the WOW players away from WOW by being a similar game in a different park, and it inevitably leads to those comparisons which mean that the WOW players always return to WOW as the new copy just isnt WOW. To do a direct comparison is like comparing cake and pie, or considering another thread, cookies:)

Questing is still main source of levelling xp and the quests vary in innovativeness. Quest rewards initially seem random, but actually seem to ensure that whatever build you look to be, you leave the area with about the same number of useful drops/rewards and there has been some complaints that you should be able to choose a useful reward from every completed quest. I prefer it the way it is as it certainly opens up the usefulness of crafting to fill the gear holes

Most stuff during the two betas Ive been in is standardly soloable unless it is deliberately group content. There were 3 quests which relied on me to be specifically solo in order to complete them, although the jury is out as to whether people think this is a good or bad thing. If you are used to working out encounter mechanics and so forth then these encounters may take a few tries, but assuming you get the hang of blocking, dodging, interrupting etc then they are manageable regardless of build.

Group content seems to fall into 3 categories, open public dungeon style encounters, dark anchors and full instanced group content. The first will probably require at least a semi organised group to complete once the initial levelling zerg has passed it by, but if there are other people about then it is easy enough to try and leech your way behind them (although there isnt really any leeching in the game due to how loot works)

Dark Anchors should propbably be an organised group before even attempting, although I believe again that if you happen to be in the area you can assist and gain credit

Instanced dungeons will be the thing clearly familiar to most mmo players, requiring a properly organised group covering all standard necessities. This in particular seemed to generate the largest amount of ingame whining during the betas I was in. The main focus of this complaining was over the large percentage of people who had "wasted" spec points and therefore were not good enough to go into the first dungeon. I personally ignored all the whinges on the assumption that the groups failing had issues more relating to inexperience of the encounters, the game overall, and how to make a spec work as much as people having spent half their points in crafting etc.

The 3 biggest drawbacks so far for me were that a few key quests seem to remain bugged in a very annoying manner. The other 2 drawbacks were that I was permanantly in inventory issues (my problem not the games) and that it is hard to decide how best to spend my points to best able me to enjoy my character as there are soooooo may options, again more of an issue with me being me than with the game.

I resolved the latter by already designing 9 characters, 1 for each race, covering all bases, almost certainly all to be miles away from the finished FOTM specs which will emerge but which all currently look like I will be able to bimble around doing my own thing and also able to help out when required.

This is not a game where your initial class defines you forever, but where you define your class. This is also an issue for me as people who know me will tell you, I have no class:)

Wyst

6. Xyth

Xyth Getting Started

I also want to point out that you can respec at the level 18+ area waypoints, so when you start just make sure you use your early points for some decent DPS, and keep your weapon and armor upgraded every 4 or 5 levels and you will be just fine. Early crafting this armor and weapons are very easy, just pickup iron and leather and wood as you go (jute for cloth was harder to find) and at least make a full set of gear around L5 and again at L10. Later you can respec and create a character most to your liking based on what you learned at earlier levels.

7. Puchu

Puchu Active Member

The combat system (melee, bow)

First of all i love The Elder Scrolls, ive played Arena when it came out and some Oblivion but many hours of Skyrim. I was in the last two beta weekends.

I loved the combat in Skyrim, the melee and bow mechanics were just awesome.

In Eso the combat system is like Skyrim but i see it more as a lite version, its missing something, the depth while you hitting a monster with your bow or melee weapon, it feels like you playing Skyrim but using plastic toy weapons, the melee animations are ok but the bow animations are under par in my opinion. The range is pretty close also, but what me annoyed the most is the lack of arrows, you dont need any at all, your bow comes automatic with arrows.

The special attacks you buy from skillpoints can be dragged to your quickbar and while using youre mouse buttons for normal, power attacks and blocking you can use the special attacks with the right keys on your keyboard what gives me the feeling missing a third hand, using my right hand for controlling the mouse and my left for moving around and while doing that also pressing the right special attack buttons feels abit strange and unconfortable.

8. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Getting Started

Finally!! :)

I went into the last beta with reservations about this game, I came out the other end somewhat obsessed and counting down the days to release.

The first 5 levels are slightly boring, but to be honest, combat is different to other MMOs so it was nice to just ease myself into it and get familiar with it, bind my keys how I wanted them, etc etc.

Firstly, playing this game on ultra settings is amazing. I spent a lot of time just taking in the sites. All three starter zones are beautifully detailed and really made me want to explore every square inch. The main cities you eventually come to are stunning, alive and real. The world builders have done a great job.

The class system really won me over. I rolled a Templar, dropped points into the healing tree, and equipped a Restoration Staff. It wasn't long before I found soloing with this build a little painful. So I equipped a Destruction Staff, and loved it. The sheer amount of customisation is brilliant. The amount of freedom is brilliant. I cannot wait to get in again and play around with more builds. I ended up putting my Templar in Light Armour, and putting points into Magicka regen.

I ran all three level 12 dungeons. The LFG tool works pretty well. I like that it does not automatically port you to the dungeon or disband you afterwards. That way, if you find a good pug group you can stay with them. The dungeons themselves were lots of fun. Not difficult, but not a walk over. Some large groups we wiped on, and some bosses as well until we worked out the mechanics. From a healing perspective - the Templar with his larger heals and the staff with the HoTs worked extremely well. It took a little while to get used to no targeted healing, but it ended up not really being an issue, you could pretty much figure out who the heal was going to. Loot was ok. A lot of locked chests to open with those lockpicks, so save them up. You do need to share that loot out though, as it is not auto distributed. Bosses drop stuff that everyone can loot, and the first time through offers a quest with a nice reward.

The other thing I really liked, and discovered because several main quests were bugged - explore and you will find. You come across quests in unlikely locations, so explore. I was always finding things to do, and I liked that the game was not holding my hand all the way.

The one thing that I currently think is a bit of a fail is the anchor points (their version of rifts). I tried one, it did not seem to scale with the number of players....everything seemed to die a split second after it spawned....I got no xp and no loot. Then it bugged out for the rest of the beta.

Overall though - I LOVE this game. I could go on and on and on about all the little things I love.....and I've only just scratched the surface with my level 13 Templar :)

9. Snowbull

Snowbull Retired Moderator

Bugged quests were annoying, but I only found one I could not overcome with the old log out and back in again method.. This will only work if there are multiple versions of the area running which will happen a lot during roll out. If there are no alternative instances of the area running you can't luck out and find a non-bugged version :)

10. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

I read in chat that you could over come some bugs by hitting the F1 key. Especially the bug where you can't move after receiving the quest. I hven't tested it out though.

11. Erebos

Erebos Active Member

The bug where you kind of get stuck in a conversation or in crafting but with out an UI and unable to move can be solved in a few ways. Most drastic one, re-log. Slightly less drastic, reload the UI. Less intrusive still, open in game mail.

12. Clownface

Clownface Getting Started

yeah, /reloadui command is your friend

kept on happening to me when chatting to npcs, quest givers and vendors

13. Xyth

Xyth Getting Started

Or go to the addons tab of the menu and click on the reload U button. That will get you unstuck.

14. BlackIce

BlackIce Guardian Captain

Ah. Thanks for posting this. I didn't get very high in the stress test weekend, but I did play enough to purchase my copy the next day. However looking at the skill builder trees had me wondering about respec options.
    Even with my limited play time, I could see decisions that would easily change depending on your group makeup. eg the Nightblades strife skill. The upgrades to allow it to heal others vs bonus heals on you really rely on if you have a dedicated healer or not. As this can change as people setting into their roles, it would be terrible to not be able to change later on.

15. Unmnemonic

Unmnemonic Getting Started

Fun, beautiful, compelling, but will it survive?

I've played in the last three betas. I haven't played *any* ESO content in the past, no Skyrim, no nothing. So I'm coming in with a pretty fresh perspective.

I was drawn into the lore by the opening sequence and storyline setup. I wanted to find out more about these high-level antagonists who have set the stage for your story, ally with them, combat them, whatever. Hopefully it will be more than just the empty backstory that lore plays in most MMOs; early indication is that it will be a big part of your character's story.

The game is visually beautiful, as good as anything out there. Sounds very good too. Voice acting is solid, I'd say as good as GW2 but not as good as SWTOR. However it seemed to improve a lot on the last beta so perhaps it will surpass the later by April.

Solo questing and combat are pretty conventional, yet feel fresh. It's a little simplistic, having only 6 skills active at a time (in contrast to older games like DDO or EQ2 in which you need 80 hotkeys). You don't even get an in-combat weapon switch ability til 22! I like that enemies can do the same things you can (block, power attack) and that you must pay attention, not just spam skills. I've mostly played a tank (Orc DragonKnight), and usually didn't find solo, at-level combat challenging. I needed to play vs. level+4 foes to have interesting fights. I expect tanks are easier to play in this regard, as in many other MMOs.

Quests always seemed to have a decent story around them to justify the killing/exploring needed to complete them. The mechanics are smooth, modulo the aforementioned bugs. Key quests had serious problems, including an apparent queueing bug that would allow only one person to fight a quest mob at a time. This is quite a serious bug for a game so close to release; hopefully it's a beta limitation and not a design flaw in their quest mechanic implementation.

This seems like a game in which you can gimp your character very early. For example, you get to choose a weapon in the tutorial, and apparently you can't change it until a different one drops for you, or you craft/buy another. If you pick the wrong weapon from the rack, you may find play painful.

More irritating is that you need to equip armor of the desired type in order to earn skill-ups for it. I was really feeling gimped when I didn't find any heavy armor for a long time. On the plus side, once I found some, skills seemed to catch up fast, so maybe this is a non-issue. And even if this doesn't truly gimp you, it's bad design to make a player feel like they are being gimped due to unlucky drops etc. In any case a better tutorial would be welcome.

Crafting system is quite conventional. Alchemy is dead simple - gather, craft, and quaff what you make. I never did figure out Enchanting - I would craft some augments that were apparently for weapons, but was unable to apply any of them but one. Perhaps I missed something basic? Or perhaps a better tutorial is called for. Blacksmithing seemed to be the most useful craft, but it seemed the most tedious, with emphasis on deconstructing what you make, and needing to grind to get the components to enhance your creations as desired. Looking at the big picture, crafting seems OK, just very un-innovative.

Which is my main gripe/concern for ESO. I see very little innovation/distiinguishers from other MMOs. I like the game but fear it will be an expensive also-ran, moving to FTP in a year with a marginal player base. Does a game really *need* to be innovative in order to be successful, and to jazz *you*, or does it simply need to execute the state of the art well?

16. Unmnemonic

Unmnemonic Getting Started

Yep,
    ESC / click Addons / R
    FTW! I was getting repetitive stress from doing this :)

17. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

One thing you must realize is that it is not really trying to be all that innovative. Many of the design elements have come straight out of the previous single player games.

18. Valdur

Valdur Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I didn't have that much time to play the last beta (which was my first) but the few hours I spent in there I got bored in the newbie zone in the first hour.

So,may be those who have been beta testing longer can answer this, is it me or do the early levels need some reworking?

19. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The early levels have been reworked quite a bit. It was much worse. However, as everyone else says, once you get off the starter island, things change.

20. Valdur

Valdur Well-Known Member

Thanks,can't wait for the next Beta then :)