Need help with Farcry2

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Wayfarer, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

So, y'know, I've just been driving around, stopping at checkpoints, shooting everyone, burning the place down and moving on. Occasionally I pick up a mission from one of those gunshops, blow up some arms dealer, then return to the gunshop to buy myself a new gun. But they just offer me another mission.

What am I doing wrong?

2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

lol - you're persisting!! :D

I gave up at around that point... apparently you do that repeatedly for a few weeks (game time) and then it'll move you to an entirely new area - that's seemingly much the same, but there you'll get to drive around, stop at checkpoints, shoot everyone, burn the place down and move on. Occasionally you can pick up a mission from one of those gunshops, blow up some arms dealers, then return to the gunshop to buy yourself a new gun... but you'll just get offered more missions...

I think :)

Wayfarer likes this.
  3. SgtMech

SgtMech Retired Moderator

I managed to persist and complete Far Cry 2. It took me a week to finish it.

You need to complete a few missions for the arms dealer before new weapons become available.

The arms dealer can only offer you so many missions though. You need to go to the Two HQ of the warring factions (in whatever the town was called, the no fire zone) and they will give you missions. Also the under ground will give you missions so that you can get the malaria medicine.

The key I found to surviving, is to place a new weapon in the weapon cases so each time you go to a rest stop you can replace it. That prevents you from having jams etc. Also I tried to get the boats and Jeeps with the Grenade Launchers. You can use the stand off ability to blow the crap out of check points then drive on through with ease (Or snipe them). Moving at night time also makes it easier to get around as the AI has made it so that the bad guys can't see you to well at distance.

Collecting all the diamonds isn't necessary. It doesn't get you anything other than a couple of extra dollars. You should earn enough from the missions to get by.

Wayfarer and Ned like this.
  4. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I fricken Love this game, I will have to disagree with you on the Collection of diamonds tho.

Collecting diamonds while not be essential, expands the game by letting you have more options in terms of weapons and equipment.

The Cammo suit is a must but at 45 Diamonds is pricey.
    If you cant afford the weapon upgrades, just being able the buy the weapon isn't that useful. The dart gun is terrible until you get both the reliability and ammo upgrades.

You will never be able to afford everything if you just do the missions.

Wayfarer you should also be getting missions from the two factions and also the odd malaria quest as well as the arms dealer ones, your buddies at mike can also give you tasks to do.

Far Cry 2 Fans host some fantastic maps for the game with every Diamond, patrol route and more mapped out.
    Its less of a Spoiler and more just good info if your interested here are the links.

Leboa (First area)
    Bowa (Second Area)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
    Wayfarer and Ned like this.
  5. SgtMech

SgtMech Retired Moderator

I by no means am suggesting not to collect any, just that if you go out of your way to find all 200+ it is a waste of time. You can get by without having to find them all. I had a single minded approach to the game and didn't buy all the weapons, just got what I needed to approach the game from a certain perspective.

I bought Sniper rifles, Grenade launchers and an UZI (or was that MAC-10?). This allowed me to complete all of the game with ease. I stayed back from points and sniped, then moved in with the grenade launcher and Uzi to mop up. It was the best combo for me.

6. King_Rocket

I played the game on Hard (or hardcore whatever) and whether it was due to the increased difficulty or ammo restrictions I never could keep the ammo up to either the Mac or the Uzi as the enemy never seemed to use it.

Man this game would rock with some Co-op.

7. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Thx guys.
    So. Run a few missions for each gunshop then buy better bigger guns and upgrades?
    Besides buddies, is there anyone else who doesn't shoot you?

8. welshman

welshman Well-Known Member

Have You ever thought about going up to these guys at the checkpoints Way and having a chat with them, chew the fat, crack a tinny or two, remember they are the ones minding their own buiness until You race up in your Urban SNAG Wagon, jump out and without even a "By Yer leave " prooceed to burn their sh!t down....No wonder they don't like You:p;):D;):p

9. King_Rocket

With the gunshop missions it doesn't matter which you choose, they all just give the same set of missions. Don't bother trekking out to the most remote one you can find for a different one. This also applies to the Cellphone tower assignments. Buddy missions are worth undertaking on the basis that they increase your reputation and how the npcs treat you.

I found this confusing at myself but after you see the civilians in the intro taxi ride you wont see any more, The developers removed all non combatants from the final game. So apart from the odd cease fire zone and buddies, every one is out to get you. :)