New board games I've been playing

Discussion in 'Pen and paper games' started by Bort, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I played an intriguing game on the weekend, called Tomorrow. The world is in danger of over population, so its up to you (as a world superpower) and others to kill off enough of the population so you dont lose. So its cooperative in that sense, but if you dont all lose, then someone has to win by themselves - you score points depending on how many of your own people survive, and how many people survive in territories you control.

Everyone starts with different numbers of their people tokens - like Russia has only 3, but each one is worth 5 points (if they survive...). While everyone has military and nukes, some countries will have more than others. Each country also has its own special power.

Nukes are bad too - they count against you (in points, and they move the track the wrong way, towards the "everyone loses" point).

I didnt quite know how to play this, its a negotiation game really, which I'm terrible at.

2. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Well-Known Member

Time for another update on my collection. Just ordered :

Smash Up
    Smash Up - Awesome Level 9000 Expansion
    Forbidden Desert (enjoyed Forbidden Island and Pandemic)
    Colossal Arena
    Qwirkle (saw that on Tabletop)
    King of Tokyo - Power Up!
    and a bunch of card sleeves to protect various games...

Lately been playing a lot of For Sale, No Thanks and Lost Cities, all good family games. Although Lost Cities is a 2 player game it also works well with 3 players by adjusting the scoring.

3. Spice.

Spice. Team Fortress 2: Vice Division Captain

Finally got to play A Game of Thrones on Friday. Despite looking daunting, it was surprisingly simple to play. I've played several heavier games like Eclipse and such, but the other 3 normally play much lighter games. Still everyone enjoyed it immensely and looks like we'll play it again this Friday!

4. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I went out to LXG (League of Extraordinary Gamers) on Sunday, first time I'd been there. Pretty big group, probably about 40-50 people, in a school hall, so plenty of room. They were actually doing a 2 day special, with tournaments and prizes, but I just play casual...

They have a couple of hundred games available for club members too, which is a pretty good deal, try a game out before you buy it.

I ended up playing a game called Poison (good filler, must try and find it) - card based, all you do it put cards into one of 3 cauldrons, if the value is more than 13, you have to take all the cards there. The lowest score wins, so you're trying to avoid taking cards. Unless you have the most of a colour, then none of them count. Easy, fun, game.

Also played Blueprints, interesting game, I like it (make buildings out of dice)

And a couple of games of Fairy Tale, which is a drafting card game. Starting to get the hang of it a little, after 3 or 4 games.

And managed a couple of games of Sushi Go too.

Tried to get Ginkgopolis going, but it was vetoed (too long with 5). If people dont know the game well, thats probably true.

5. Dressy

Dressy Guest

Board game? My group of experienced gamers didn't feel it was simple to play lol

Good game though. Hopefully have another game this weekend.

6. SnorriHT

SnorriHT Active Member

LXG sounds like fun! I'm back at uni, so not much gaming at the moment, though I did play Wizard Kings, Propehecy and Sentinels of the Multiverse amongst others over the summer break. I'm currently learning Gears of War and Combat Commander.

7. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Played a new game last night: Quantum. Really really fun - its a space game, but its a bit abstract. It has dice to represent your ships, so the value tells you how far it can move, and its combat strength (lower is better).

Each ship type has its own special ability - from an extra attack, to being able to swap position with another ship.

The object of the game is to construct all of your quantum cubes. Each planet on the board has a value (7 thru 10), and you have to have that total in your ships orbiting the planet to be able to construct a cube.

Combat is easy: each side rolls a die, adds the value to the ship value. And the attacker will either win (and destroy the defender), or be repelled if the defender wins, he cant be destroyed. So - no downside to attacking really.

Its surprisingly tactical, the ship abilities really open up possibilities.

I also got smashed in a couple of games of Race for the Galaxy, but I've only played against people once before (played the pc version a little to learn).

8. Spice.

Didn't get to play Game of Thrones this week, but I did get to try out the Firefly boardgame. The mechanics seems fine but overall our game wasn't incredibly exciting, I also think we got a dud mission though. Couple of people were keen to try it again so we'll see how it goes.

Also have a few more games on order. My poor, poor wallet. :(

9. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I played about half a game of Archipelago today. I knew it would be a tough slog, and that we probably wouldn't finish. It's a sprawling beast of a game, that SUSD called "ethically dubious". Their review of it is hilarious.

Shut Up & Sit Down | Review: Archipelago

No idea what I'm doing yet, I spent a good couple of hours with the rules, then watched some videos of it in play (Rahdos series of videos are excellent), and then actually attempted to teach it today. It's all so inter-connected, it's a tough one to explain. Luckily the other people wanted to play, and we're all keen to have another go (so keen we're not inviting anyone else, because we don't want to have to explain it all over again).

Love the concept tho - explore the islands, harvest the resources, but watch out for the native population. If they become rebellious, you can all lose the game. You have frequent situations to solve, that involve giving up resources. If you can't (or won't) give them up, the rebellion track moves up.

Each player also has their own secret game ending condition, and victory point condition. Including a separatist card, who wins if the island does fall.

10. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I hear ya

11. Spice.

Oh, how I've pined for Archipelago for a while now. Really want to play a crunchy game like that but unfortunately I don't think anyone else in my group does.

12. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd hate to try and teach it if the group wasn't into it

13. Bayland

Bayland The Doctor Staff Member Administrator Moderator

My new to me played list:

Stone Age
    Glass Road
    Nauticus
    Castles of Burgundy

All very good

14. Spectre

Spectre Active Member

I have to get around to taking the following out of their shrinkwrap:

Cornish Smugglers
    A Study in Emerald
    Bora Bora
    Viticulture
    Bruges
    Amerigo

They are coming in faster than I can get around to play them.

Spec

15. Spice.

Finally my order arrived, a few filler games to balance out my collection.

A La Carte
    Love Letter
    Timeline
    Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension.

16. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Played Ascension last night, thought it was great fun. Very easy to pick up. Kind of like Dominion, but more killing.

17. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

This always sounds to me like the sort of game Moss (IT Crowd) would do on his web site

18. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Well-Known Member

Had a 3 player game of Colossal Arena. Pretty easy to learn and lots of trying to eliminate other players creatures. Really liked the level of interaction and backstabbing each other. Played in around half and hour.

[​IMG]

Post up a pic of a game you have played this weekend ...

19. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Played 2 new (to me) games last night - Risk Legacy, and Terra Mystica

It was only the 2nd game of Legacy, so nothing has been opened yet. I won (woohoo!), and took a quick snap of the city I got to name (I'm so proud...).

(scuse the crappy phone pic, it looked in focus when I took it)

[​IMG]

I think theres too much luck in Risk Legacy for me to really get into it, but it was hilarious when people lose their entire army against a lone defender, and when someone just sweeps across a couple of countries and wins the game (like me!).

Terra Mystica was initially confusing, but I liked it. So much to think about, its a bit of a brain burner. I can see why its a popular game.

20. RzA

RzA Active Member

just brought some new board games added to my collection. Age of conan , Nexus Ops , Arcana revised.

Found a place in melbourne that had fantasy flight games really cheap