New board games I've been playing

Discussion in 'Pen and paper games' started by Bort, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

bookdepository is a good place for FF games too - they often discount, and free shipping (which is less of an incentive if you have an actual shop you can go to).

2. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I'm finding myself thinking more and more about Terra Mystica....

Didnt realised how highly ranked it was on bgg (#6), pretty impressive.

If anyone wants to try it online, there is an online portal here

Terra Mystica

And someone did an AI only version here

TM AI

Both look a bit...basic, you probably need a good understanding of the rules before you can use them

3. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Had a couple of games of Rampage (new game from the designer of 7 Wonders/Ghost Stories). This is pretty different to those, its a dexterity game. Based on the old Rampage arcade game, you each take control of a huge monster. Each turn, you can move (by flicking your disc around), drop your monster on a building (if your disc is touching it), breath fire (you put your chin on your monster and blow), or throw vehicles around (put it on top of your monster and flick it).

The buildings can be several levels high, and they're all held up by meeples in the corners. Once the meeples fall off, they can be eaten.

For a silly, dumb game based on destruction, theres actually a bit of strategy involved. The meeples are in different colours, and you're trying to collect sets of each colour (6). Any meeples not in sets are worth -1 at the end of the game, so towards the end you're judging if its worth taking meeples.

Its pretty good fun, buildings and meeples sometimes go in some pretty unexpected directions, so thats always a laugh.

Also played: Jungle Speed - this was fantastic fun for a quick filler game. Play a card, if a symbol matches someone else, you have to be first to grab the totem in the middle of the table. Very simple idea - but just great fun. And theres a few special cards to make it interesting, one can change the matches to be on colour (instead of shape), another makes everyone grab for the token.

Had a quick game of Nations - lots to that one, bit overwhelming at first. Interesting tho.

Yesterday I played my new deck building game: Legendary, based on Marvel superheroes. We got beaten by Magneto, but it was fun. Great artwork on the cards, as you would expect.

And then we played Thunderstone, yet another deck building game! It dragged on a bit, but it was good fun still. The owner of the game said we had (randomly) a bit of a crap setup, so the game went on a lot longer than it should have. What I found strange was that monsters you kill go into your deck - which doesnt seem to serve much purpose, apart from filling your hand with rubbish you cant use. Sometimes you can reveal a monster of the same kind you are attacking for a bonus.

4. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I havent played it yet, but picked up a game thats been on my radar for a while now. The game is Dungeon Petz, by the acclaimed Vlaada Chvátil (Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker).

Its all about sending your little imps out to buy and look after dungeon pets, and eventually show them off and sell them. Its a worker placement, but the theme looks amazing, and there are a few interesting decisions to make.

Your little creatures have their own needs, which change as they grow older. If you fail to meet their needs, they may get violent and escape, mutate, or just die of boredom. Oh, and they will also poo in their cages - which for some reason makes them less attractive to a buyer.

I've only had a test game so far, but the manual is a cracker (as Vlaadas often are), so i cant wait to get it on the table. In spite of its cute appearance, its actually a tough game (I hear).

5. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Played a couple of games of Eminent Domain over the weekend - really easy to learn, but bit of depth to it. Its a space based deck builder, similar in some ways to Race for the Galaxy, but much easier to learn. One game and you'll have the basic idea. I've played about 5 or 6 games of Race now and some bits still confuse me a little.

ED seems more elegant and friendlier. Neither game has a lot of interaction between players, apart from the role selection (where you can follow someone elses role).

Relatively cheap ($40 odd I believe), compact, quick to play (45 mins).

6. Spice.

Spice. Team Fortress 2: Vice Division Captain

I've owned Eminent Domain for a while now. It is a fun game but much like Dominion there isn't much interaction, either following or dissenting each round. The expansion bulks up each of the roles and adds a purpose to the different size ships. I've been hunting for a copy but it's always out of stock sadly.

7. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Looks like Milsims have a copy, also Games Empire

8. Spice.

Can't see the expansion on Games Empire, only the base game.
    Milsims has it on backorder like 90% of their items.

9. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Gah, didn't read properly - you meant the expansion, sorry. I just bought it a couple of days ago from ozgameshop, but it's showing as out of stock now, not sure if I grabbed a copy even, no dispatch email yet.

10. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

11. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Quantum is really good - just amazing. Played 2 games today. Every time I play some new combination comes up I hadnt thought of.

So easy to learn, but great depth.

12. Aramar

Aramar Getting Started

Looking forward to having a game of it soon!
    Looked interesting when you guys were playing it yesterday

13. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Hey, Aramar! Good to meet you yesterday!

Its a great game

14. Spice.

Hopefully I (or someone near by) will acquire a copy soon.
    The SUSD review was quite glowing.

15. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Well-Known Member

Just bought Thunderstone Advance and a few expansions off Ebay. The family enjoys Dominion so hopefully they will like this one too.

16. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I've only played it once, but thought it was more interesting and thematic than Dominion

17. HenriDeacon

18. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Good deal!

I've been getting into the deck builders lately - playing a bit of Eminent Domain, Legendary, and tonight had a game of Core Worlds.

19. HenriDeacon

I bought a card shuffler from BigW for $12 for games where a lot of shuffling is needed. I didn't trust shufflers so ran a standard deck of cards through it a dozen times, with no damage at all, then ran Dominion cards through it, and also some smaller sized cards. Have not tested it with Ultrapro slips yet.

It riffles a full deck in under 3 seconds with no damage so i'm happy. The capacity looks to be around 120 cards. So pretty good buy for the price.

20. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Only $12? Not bad.

Stopped off a Big W today to have a look at one, website says they have stock, but none of the shelf. They said "maybe its still on a pallet, try later in the week".

sigh.

Last edited: May 4, 2014