New Medieval Fantasy Sandbox MMO under development

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Flintwick, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

So, there isn't much information out yet, but its rare you get a chance to follow a game from so early in its development lifecycle. It's a new indy development by a group called Forsaken Studios, and looks to be a Low-Fantasy Sandbox MMORPG with some very interesting new ideas.

They have a community forum set up here: Forsaken Studios • Index page

Also, there is a very high level blurb about the game on their Facebook page, which reads as follows:

I can't wait for more information to be released on this one, exciting times! :)

Flint

2. Flintwick

3. Ranja

Ranja Well-Known Member

Looks pretty interesting. I think we will be seeing more companies going the sandbox route and I really think it the way to go. Will be keeping my eye on this. Another one I'm looking forward to is ArcheAge, which I'm surprised nobody here is talking about it yet. Maybe there is a thread but I don't see it.

4. Flintwick

5. Ariya

Ariya Retired Captain

I like the idea of a Norse theme and the houses shown in the art concept are just the thing for it.

What I find appealing in the info is that one will be able to discover and unlock all sorts of new and surprising things while roaming around. That could enhance the feeling of getting totally immersed in the game.

6. Flintwick

I dont believe it is all norse themed ;) Each continent apparently has its own theme/setting leading to lots of diversity. The northern (ice/snow) has strong norse influences.

7. Kess

Kess Retired Captain

Looks very interesting...

Def gonna keep this on my 'keep an eye out for' list :)

8. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

I am not sure fantasy sandbox can work. Not without totally going outside the box.

9. Flintwick

How so? And how do you mean outside the box?

UO did ok, and MO is arguably doing ok too. What do you see as the major limiting factors of a fantasy sandbox?

10. Adina

Adina Active Member

Was just telling my partner I wanted a no to low fantasy medieval mmo...I like the setting. Then he told me about this thread. Here's hoping for the best in a few years or so!

11. solarbear88

I think UO did ok at first as it was rather small compared to a modern MMO and the community was of a different sort of person/player. There are lots of griefing and PKing horror stories to go with UO. I am not sure it would work with the current sort of person who plays MMO's or the sort of community it attracts. When I first started playing online, pking someone was just considered too mean to do without a role play reason. Now it is par for the course.

First of all:

I love the concept for a Sandbox MMO, but it often could be called Grief MMO. Get strong, grief everyone. I think the general levelling process of every MMO causes this to happen.

Outside the box:

I think people need to ditch the kill mob get xp, level something up method. Its been done to death. People have a decade or more of this and they are sick of it. Look at people's reaction to Rift. Its a beautiful, well running game, but people were bored with it after a week.

Sandbox issues:

I think to have a sandbox MMO you need to have a huge world. You need to be able to avoid others to make Sandbox work.

More importantly, you need to have more incentive to work together rather than to fight to make the game work.

The way most of these games work you get a guild of 100 or so and then run around destroying other people's stuff. It seems kind of trivial to me.

And WTF you going to do when a guild gets very large and people are either forced to join it or see all their work go to waste? It seems to happen in all these games.

I think the key to a Sandbox MMO would be to create an environment where it is significantly better to befriend someone than to fight them. This is what Themepark MMO's have going for them: if you get lots of good friends, you can access better content.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  12. Flintwick

I agree with this change, so I guess the key is repercussions, and ensuring that people will not go killing folks willy-nilly, but rather will only do so if they do have a reason to. EvE handles this to a degree with its sec status mechanic, and MO handles this (not very well) with its flagging mechanic. They key then is to come up with something better, that doesn't restrict players from their freedom, but which does make things like murder a less desirable playstyle (unless you want to RP a murderer/assassin/warlord).

I understand your conserns here, and have seen it myself, but then this is why a lot of modern sandbox MMO's dont have levels. Yes, you have skills that improve, but you will never run into someone 50 levels higher than you, and so powerful in comparison that you can't do a thing to defend yourself.
    As above, take out levels, and give players progression options that dont involve killing. In a true sandbox, there are a hundred other things to do besides killing something, be that crafting, trading, social aspects, exploration, even invention in some games.
    Also, if you do wan't to be a fighter, in a sandbox you can approach that in other ways too. Perhaps you could be a gladiator, and gain your experience fighting in an arena, or join an army and train up in exercises and sparring sessions with your fellow soldiers.
    The key is freedom.
    And we are seeing sandbox MMO's get ever larger. MO is reasonably large (64 sq km), and it is possible to avoid people if you want to, and by all accounts this new sandbox is going to dwarf the size of MO by a very large margin. You will certainly be able to carve out your niche in the world, if you so wish.
    Fully agree, and for this there could be a couple of approaches. One is to make the environment so harsh and unforgiving that some areas you will NEED friends to be able to plumb its depths.
    Another is to provide the mechanics for massive collaborative works, such as huge building projects (ships, rebuilding towns), mining projects (excavate an aincient collapsed tunnel), magical rituals (many mages working together to perform a summoning), religious framework (people coming together and forming churches to gain the blessing of the gods)... or any of many things. Plus, given the right tools, players will invariably come together and find things to do as a group.
    But, on the other side, if you implement a good enough faction system, even PvP will draw people together, fighting to protect each other against a common foe.
    This is actually an example of people working together, but I get your point, and I also believe that a lot can be done to counter this threat.
    Perhaps make the cost of large groups grow exponentially (in terms of costs, logistics etc), so groups dont benefit from being an uberzerg? But, ultimately, you can't stop this in any game really, but you can put in mechanics which make being a tyrant who runs around with a group of hundreds wiping everything out a less appealing concept.
    I think there is a bit of an illustion with themepark MMO's, because while you are working towards a common goal, you are still mostly only "friends" with those in your guild, which is actually quite a small group. The harshness of a sandbox actually does a lot better at pushing people together, for mutual protection and support. Also, with sandboxes, there are so many more factors to consider, which means you need to know or be friends with many more people... maybe traders from far off towns, or crafters, merchants, sailors... or perhaps you are just looking to forge alliances to ensure the safety of your lands...

I do see some merit in your comments, but I do have to say your experiences of Sandbox MMO's and my own seem to differ slightly, and I honestly believe that a new Sandbox game, with the right ideas and approaches can overcome a large portion of the issues you forsee. Not all, but then if all were fixed, where would be the spice? :)

Flint

13. solarbear88

I am under the impression MMO can go one of two ways if you want to make a Sandbox MMO.

1. Make the area very unforgiving so that characters band together to overcome it - similar what you mentioned. Base the game on exploration and resource gathering from killed mobs.

2. Remove the traditional MMO elements. I could see a lot of potential in a Minecraft/Stronghold/Dungeon Keeper hybrid. Where you and your mates build both your fortress, city and town together AS WELL as design the enemy dungeons in your area. Thus shifting the focus on building something rather than destroying. More people working on your area, more land mass to use, more points to spend, faster levelling of your area and your character. Yeah tie your character's level to what you have built, not what you have killed. Then adventure in other people's dungeons for items or item currency. PVP could involve fighting in a RVR type area then taking and rebuilding the fortresses there with the points your town has earned.

14. Flintwick

Thats actually an interesting concept, having personal development based off the development of the associated group/area you represent. The issue here of course is that at one end of the extreme, people may all flock to the most powerful entity in order to gain the most benefits, but on the other end if you only count contributions to growth, people would constantly look to start fresh in order to get the most benefit from early growth.

Its an interesting idea though, which I might suggest to the team. Thanks! :)

Flint

15. solarbear88

Yeah I think the raging success of Minecraft indicates that there is potential in building and not destroying. I have about 5-6 kids in my year 10 class that all play. Its kind of amazing considering how low a teenage attention span is, how ugly the game is, and yet they love this game.

I actually have been thinking about this game concept for a while and think it could really work.

16. Ariya

Ariya Retired Captain

What I would like to see in sandbox mmo's is smaller guilds - where you can invite 25 members maximum for ex. Then you allow these guilds to form an alliance that consists of 3 guilds to avoid one guild monopolising the whole server.

I'm also surprised to see that so far there are no options in sandbox mmo's such as forming a family, a teacher/student relation or an ingame marriage. Being in a relationship like that would not exclude being in a guild and alliance. Players can also be given a bonus, such as better health generation when you are in range of your family and so on. I've seen relationships like this on themepark mmo's and quite like them.

They are especially good when you are already teaming up with one or a few players in which you can put a lot of trust. (I wouldn't engage in a relationship with just anyone).

17. Flintwick

A new model render has been released, entitled Aaldnarech Longhouse:

[​IMG]

And a low quality cloth simulation test video was posted too:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  18. Flintwick

Rob Steele, the Creative Director at Forsaken Studios, has posted a very lengthy post on his vision of what he indends their MMO to become (subject to technical limitations etc). Its a very interesting read!

Original: The Vision

Flint

19. Flintwick

First creature model released - the Irrithi, complete with the following description:

For the images visit: Forsaken Studios • Login

20. Flintwick

For anyone who has tried to access the forum posts, but couldn't due to needing to register, they have relaxed the requirement now so you can read all of the various forums to your hearts content without registering :)

That is all.
    Flint