[DONE] New member, interested in Destiny 2

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Pontus Karlsson, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Pontus Karlsson

Pontus Karlsson Getting Started

Hi there. My story is probably rather familiar around here. I played computer games as a kid – my first system was the Commodore 64 – and I used to play pen and paper games too. Though I've kept playing games it has become a less social activity over the years. None of my old friends play online with any frequency – and I could pretty much be father to most of the members in the guilds and Discord servers that I join.

I want to join TOG because games used to be something that I did with friends whom I shared common interests with. I don't care too much about making progress or winning: I mainly want to talk to people while I play. And I would sort of prefer to talk with grown ups.

I've been making a career switch and haven't been playing much because of it. Starting out as a software developer has absorbed all my attention. That is starting to wear on me, and also it's hurting my social life. It's my second major career change, and if you add starting a family and buying a house ... well. I basically have no real friends left besides my wife and daughter.

So I thought I'd try and find some of the camaraderie I'm craving, by finding a more suitable online community and picking up a new game to play socially. Bought a copy of Destiny 2 today for that purpose. Other multiplayer games that I've played lately are For Honor, Overwatch and No Man's Sky.

PS: I checked the box about reading the FAQ, but the link was broken. So I haven't read it. Instead I vow to read it as soon as I find it or someone directs me to it.

Sincerely,

Pontus Karlsson

newfulla likes this.
  2. Lucy S

Lucy S Getting Started

So many big changes -- that's gotta be difficult. It sucks when you find yourself alone, friendship-wise. I hope you can find some people to play with here! It seems like there would be a lot of social players around.

How do you like No Man's Sky? I had the impression that it was quite a 'lonely' multiplayer game? I was thinking about trying that one out too.

3. Pontus Karlsson

It's actually pretty great. I've prioritized work and family for a long time and I plan to continue doing so. Joining an online community is just a way to do some socializing when it's convenient I guess. Didn't mean to sound so pathetic :)

No Man's Sky is a lot more fully featured than at launch, I'm told. I had fun doing the initial quests, finding an abandoned space truck and fixing it up and such. It's a powerful fantasy to be able to get in your own spaceship and go anywhere. But the appeal died off after that. It was the same with Elite Dangerous. I guess I'm not entrepreneur enough for that game play loop built on earning money by performing repetitive tasks. Never played with anybody else, but I don't know what you would do. Build a base together? I think you really need to be able to make your own fun to make that work.

4. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Sparkles Staff Member Moderator

Much jibbah jabbah in this application thread. It is a good thing that I am a fan of the jibbah jabbah.

Congratulations! You have past our stringent don't die before 25 application requirement and have made it into TOG.

Keep in mind there is more here than the division for that flaky game you have signed up for. There are other flaky games which all have their own division and other things of wonder, joy and wtf.

Public Forums (Philistines only or less then 25. Same thing)
    Member Forums (General chat, cat videos, VR, laboratories, Steam and Discord invites)
    Member News (If you have a mind like mine you just laughed)
    Simulation and Sports Divisions (This is for simulation and sports games!)
    Strategy, RPG and other Games (This is for err... Strategy, RPG and other Games)
    FPS (Brutal and horrific death. Lots of fun!)
    MMORPG (Also brutal and horrific death but sometimes ponies)
    Operations (The name you picked is stupid and you want to change it? Policies and stuff)

newfulla and CAMMO like this.
  5. Pontus Karlsson

Thank you! And I will keep that in mind.

6. Lucy S

Lucy S Getting Started

Naw, didn't sound pathetic. I recruited my fiance into playing Overwatch with me because I didn't have many people to play with, and now he's addicted -- I wonder if the same would work on your fam? XD

No Man's Sky does sound interesting... sounds like it might be a game I'd enjoy, at least for the early quests. Something to move up on my wishlist!

7. Pontus Karlsson

I think that recruiting any of them for Overwatch or similar is unlikely. But we do play Overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with each other from time to time. And some good old board games too.

8. newfulla

newfulla Captain Americas Army Staff Member Moderator

haha... if you find any grown ups in here can you please let us know. ;P

Welcome to TOG @Pontus Karlsson I have a feeling you will fit in well here. :)

Thank you for letting us know, We have recently upgraded our server and still have a few broken links to sort out. (this is on our to do list)

Shrubbo likes this.