New member knockin on the door

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by RCM, Jul 14, 2004.

1. RCM

RCM Just Joined

Howdy folks. This site sounds interesting. I'm gettin tired of these kids on daddy puter typin every cuss word they can dream up in responce to forum posts. Gets kinda old fast.

I'm 49, young at heart, live in good ol Tulsa Oklahoma, land of the tornadoes.

I'm into Battlefield 1942, EOD, DC, and lately mostly Battlefield Vietnam.

Been workin on a map for Vietnam for bout the last 3 months. Lot's of work but kinda fun once you get the hang of it.

Anyway, any battlefield vietnam fans here?

Do you guys do mapping?

Do you let folks post links to their custom maps so folks can try them?

Hear the one about a three legged dog that walked into a bar and said "I'm lookin for the man that shot my pa"?

2. Chesty

Chesty Well-Known Member

Hell yes. I think you are gonna regret saying that you can map. We have a long term vision to have an all aussie Lon Tan map and I am sure the guys working on this would appreciate any input they can get. I think we might even be able to organise some scrim on said maps.

We have 3 squads of Vietnam atm and can I say that the Tiger squad is very reputable and competetive. Not to say that the others arent - I am just really biased.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

3. RCM

RCM Just Joined

Ok, gonna try to set up the link in this post. Little new at this linkin business.

Fort Apache

Lots of screen shots there and you can download if ya wanna try it. No bots, but you can wander around in single player to check it out.

What follows is a few replies to questions I've had which might be of help. I've learned a lot on this map but prob only scratched the surface on the whole mappin thing.

Someone asked why I didn't use overgrowth?
    I started this map usin a geforce 5200. As I worked with overgrowth, undergrowth, etc, my lag would just become annoying and it just didn't run very well.

So I decided to place trees only where I'd want them and things ran a lot better computerwise. So I kept mappin.

Later on I upgraded to a geforce 5700 overclocked card which helps a lot. I hate the idea of spending hundreds of dollars to run a 40 dollar video game. But the game does run better.

I'm concerened if a guy with what I had before will be able to run this map though. I'm now runnin an Athlon XP 2500 with 1 gig of ram and a Geforce 5700 LE factory overclocked. No lag with all sliders set to medium.

So I just kept on with placing trees depending on the view and whether or not to partly block the view, flight attack paths low to the ground, mortor firing positions, etc.

Someone asked bout shadows and why some things are not tied to near by flags.
    I used the Cambodia light box. I didn't think there were shadows in that map used but if you look really close, they did run shadows but they are very suttle. Moon shadows I guess.

I've always turned off shadows for game performance anyway. But thats just for vehicals as far as I know.

Some objects are placed just for transportation and tied to a non-cappable base so they will continue to spawn. Like a scooter you may find at a hut that was left by the owner but you can steal it. It's a big map and long way to run on foot if you got shot down and had to bail.

Some things won't spawn untill a flag is capped. Then you can use them if you know where they will be.

Some things are placed so you can use them and will continue to spawn after blown up. Like the howitzer hid in the hill side bunker behind the farm house will play hell with the rice paddie village.

So... if you own the rice paddie flag, you may want to send a squad out to take the known arty position. If you don't you may not have the flag for very long.

Just because you took a flag, and moved in your equipment to defend it, doesn't mean you get to keep it with no effort.

Health and ammo is also hidden here and there. They knew you were commin in advance so they prepared a few things.

So anyway, these were my thoughts and ideas and resulting map. I appreciate any feedback and the time anyone spends to do so.

I just hope it's fun to play :)

ps: sorry if you have trouble with the link. It's really cheap file storage but you get what you pay for I guess. I noticed sometimes I have to click twice on the "photofolder view" button to get the thumbnails.

But hey, it's bout 3 bucks a month for 100 meg storage. Limited to 20 downloads a day too.

Oh ya, forgot to mention the only way to get the alternate view in spawned vehicals is to have them tied to a flag as far as I know.

So to have some objects in the game at the start I tied them to base flags. Seemed like the easiest way to me.

A few of my fav screen shots...

The big bad fort...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My burning log pile (put in just for grins)...
    [​IMG]

Beach shot, no babes, sorry...
    [​IMG]

Standing in chest high water about to storm the beach and take the town flag...
    [​IMG]

This is one of my fav areas. I have the water in the paddies just shallow enough so you can lay down and shoot or hide. The water effects look really good when you shoot into the paddies.
    [​IMG]

These last ones were made with hud off and zoomed with binoculars. Makes for nice screen shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did tweek the water color to match the fog and sky better...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chesty

Chesty Well-Known Member

Heres the history on the Long Tan map;

Aussie Voices
    Project Status
    More

btw for your urls use this format;
    "Type the text here"

Maybe one suggestion. To keep a couple of the flyboys happy have at least 4 choppers on. We have some awesome pilots and its always fun to shoot them down.

5. RCM

RCM Just Joined

I must be too new to get to those links yet, but I'd like to check em out sometime.

6. Chesty

Chesty Well-Known Member

Go change the subject of this thread to "new member" or something like that. Then the admins will find you and grant you access to the private forums. They wont necessarily look at this straight away.

7. RCM

RCM Just Joined

Ok, bout got the buggs out lol.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Been here 30 min and feels good already. Glad I found this place.

Gotta hit the sack but will be back for sure.

8. Quant

Quant Active Member

Welcome aboard. You need to state you have read the FAQ and accept the AUP which are listed at the top of this forum.

Once you have confirmed that, as you have met our minimum age requirement one of our admins (eg. Janus) will come along and grant you full membership and access to the private forums including the links to the Long Tan project.

9. ContraVersE

ContraVersE Retired Captain

Welcome to TOG! Maybe you will try CoD as well...

10. viking

viking Retired Advisor

Welcome

welcome mate :D

Got a cousin in Tulsa.

11. Drebin

Drebin Well-Known Member

welcome aboard :)

12. OBI

OBI Active Member

Welcome to TOGland jcm :)

13. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

greetings and welcome to TOG :D nice job on the map,yeah the US BFV guy's are building their team ,you will do nice there ,in fact TOG|Cornbread is in your neck of the woods,i think he's in the next state over from ya,he's one of the guy's who you'll see here in the USA,be sure to check out the BFV private forums,lots to read in that one,have fun,see ya on the battlefield :wink:

14. ozbrat

ozbrat Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy r stay

15. Jonty

Jonty Active Member

Hey RCM,

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay at TOG :D .

16. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

Hiya mate!

17. Belta

Belta Active Member

Welcome to the TOG Community :wink:

18. crowtree

crowtree Retired Captain

Welcome to TOG mate. Nice work on the maps. :)

19. GiTFiDDle

GiTFiDDle Active Member

Hey RCM! Welcome to TOG :D

20. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Hey welcome bro! Yeah we were desprate for mappers...everyone wanted me to do it back when I was still playing BFV (or I kept hearing abou tit anyway) but I have no Idea how to do any of it ;)

good job and that map looks cool.