New tactical shooter on the horizon

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Crowman, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Crowman

Crowman Getting Started

One of the original devs from redstorm entertainment, John Sondecker has been dropping hints about an upcoming tactical shooter from his company Blackfoot studios that will put the Tactical back into tactical shooters, the thread is over at http://www.ghostrecon.net/

Heres the thread, he's giving us a steady stream of info and its all sounding very intrigueing so far, this may well be in the wrong forum but as it was a fps I thought it was pretty close

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41105

2. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

This sure sounds interesting.
    I was a HUGE fan of the original Ghost Recon, and I'm still looking for a game that could take its place - which I just can't seem to find.

I'm not too interested in most first person shooters, what I like in a shooter is exactly what Jsonedecker describes:
    A game like that could actually pull me back into the tactical shooter scene, :)

3. Porky

Porky Well-Known Member

why dont ya check out this enter and click on trailer...if ya want authentic,tactics, authentic,recreated battlefields, brothere in arms..i love it, but not too many know of it..

or here click on media ,movies, e3

the 3rd game has been delayed till 07/08 :(..probobly gonna take advantage of dx10..but its a great game.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

Hey, I like the look of it - the character dialogue in the trailer reminds me of Operation Flashpoint (another game I enjoyed a lot). Any idea if the multiplayer's cooperative as well as competitive? I must admit, I like coop a lot better than PvP.

5. Porky

Porky Well-Known Member

yes its co-op...from IGN :So far we've only seen the single-player portion of the game, but we do know that the game will include a multiplayer mode, and you'll be able to play co-op online. However, you won't be able to play cross-platform between the Xbox 360 and PC. Randy said that Gearbox would love to do it and that the code to make the PC and Xbox 360 play together online would be fairly easy, but Microsoft doesn't want to allow cross-platform gaming at this point.

this is interesting:

He did say that the X360 and PS3 versions will look slightly better than the XP version, but that the Vista-based DirectX 10 version will look the best. While there is no specific release date as of yet, Randy said that the game may launch before Vista is available for the general public. However, Gearbox is already working with the Vista tools, so they will include the code in the box so you can upgrade your PC version to the full DX10 effects when Vista is released...maybe alot of games ,including different versions on dvd?.. the 2nd game Earned In Blood has a co-op mood with split screens if ya choose and many different skirmish modes to play against...

6. Wiz_74

Wiz_74 Retired Journalist & Advisor

hehehehe well that didnt happen :(

7. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

lol, yea, was thinking the same thing, ;)

Thanks for all the info Porky!

That settles it, I'll have to go buy a new graphics card this spring after all, it looks like there may be at least two (tactical shooter) gems coming out this year.

:bigthumbsup:

On a side note, is GRAW worth looking into? It doesn't look like it was able to fill in the foot steps of the original Ghost Recon. Last thing I heard people kept complaining that it was so darned buggy, so they stopped playing it altogether.

8. Wiz_74

Wiz_74 Retired Journalist & Advisor

I really enjoyed what I played of it, however my gfx card ran it so slow it wasnt funny and I had never played the other GR games so have nothing to compare it to. I think most of the bugs got worked out in the patches however.

Another good Co-Op game is Rainbow Six Vegas, but is also has some very heavy spec requirements :(

9. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

Just thought I'd bump this thread to remind people that BlackFoot Studios are still working on their unnamed project which should see its release in 2008.
    If the devs stick to what they're saying, this game may very well cater to the original GR fandom (in particular). :)

10. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Lets hope! :D

11. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

BlackFoot Studios

12. Spectre8

Sounds a little non-descript... but exciting nonetheless. Curious that they can't name the engine though... I wonder why that would ever be. The skeptic in me thinks it may be because they still don't have one...

Holiday season?? When might that be? Middle of the year? Hope so. Either way, it sounds good, and has the right "feel" to it. It's all in the execution though.

13. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

Yea, I'm not really sure what to think either. The FAQ in particular is incredibly vague, it could apply to just about any game.
    I think "holiday season" probably means Q4... :(

Here's their explanation of NORG (the dev's concept of making a game):

At this point I'm just scratching my head and thinking: "NORG? Whatever. Give me a reason to like this game as much as I liked the original GR, and I'll be happy playing GB for the next 3-5 years!" :D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  14. Spectre8

Look, I like the concept of "NORG" but the bottom line is... will this still be fun to play?

So realism huh? I don't want to know what it's like to march into a battlezone with a 200 pound pack on my back, plus the massive wieght of my light machine gun and ammo... not to mention radio comms, rations, and all the webbing that goes with it. I also don't want to play a game that doesn't give you much of a chance. Sending one small team into a battlezone just isn't realistic.

I'm enjoying the mod for BF2 - Project Reality. It's great. Much better (in my mind) than vBF2, but realism? Hell no! Since when does a soldier "respawn"?

So... the balance of gamplay and realsim is always a very tough one to manage. There needs to be just enough arcade-like action to make it enjoyable, it's got to be hard enough to be compelling, but easy enough to be playable... A VERY tough balance to find.

However, this internal marketing hubub sounds too much like they haven't even started. Lets hope I'm wrong! :D

15. Crowman

Crowman Getting Started

There was a big discussion somewhere on gr.net about realism and gameplay and too much of one spoils the other so it is a really fine balance, this is the game a lot of the gr.net folks have got their fingers crossed for, me included.

16. Colin

Colin Just Joined

Hi all just poped in say to get a much better idea of the game and the people on the forum go over and have a read, you will see some really good posts.

Ideas that are talked about and tried out by the dev team.

It really will be a game thats built around its community.

The pdf news letter is a must as well.

Older gamers as you and me like to work in FPS teams and take things just a little slower, this game will be tailor made for us.

Nice site guys.

17. Colin

Colin Just Joined

I think if you go over and take a look at the forums and read, you will get a much better idea whats this game is about.
    It really will be a game built around the community.

Also check the pdf news letter as well.

Nice site guys.

18. Crowman

Crowman Getting Started

Nice double post Colin, I'm assuming its Colin from Gr.net?

19. Colin

Colin Just Joined

Yes sorry about the DP strange, hi mate.

20. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Brother in arms Hells highway is shaping up to be a winner in the TFPS stakes, I still play Earned in Blood.

Totally agree Spectre8. Next thing games will give us is Post Traumatic Combat Stress Disorder.

Jia likes this.