Nintendo Switch - I'm getting one!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by Ebonytears, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss Staff Member Moderator

So, my eldest muttered something about needing to pay money off a pre-order for a 'game or something'. Being his mum I latched onto the 'or something'. I know his girlfriend wants a Nintendo Switch so I started giving him a hard time. He finally admitted it was a Nintendo Switch, I started teasing (parental prerogative).

He finally broke and said 'Yes it's a Nintendo Switch, no it's not for my girlfriend it's for you for your birthday'.

There are not many moments in my life where I have been left speechless but this completely floored me. No one has ever spent that amount of money on me for a present in my whole life. And no one has ever jumped over all the things I need and just brought me something purely because I wanted it.

I had a total geeky freak out moment. Then I went into total geek meltdown when I realised what this meant. This meant ZELDA!!! I started blabbing on about my need to pre-order and how it was more open world etc etc. He stood there with a totally confused look on his face. Why would I need to pre-order? Why did I think he would by me a console and then not get me a game to play on it, that would just be silly.

Nintendo Switch AND Zelda for my birthday!!!!

I threw myself at him and gave him the biggest hug (making all 6ft 7in of him totally uncomfortable - he's 19, past big mum hugs now) and told him he was my favorite.

He spent a fair amount of time reassuring me that he would not make me wait until the 14th, that I would get an early birthday present. I can't wait!!! I'm like a little kid counting down until christmas :rolleyes:

Then my daughter made everything even better by saying 'Isn't Nintendo the one who does Mario Cart?' OMG....Mario Cart 8!!!

I'm in total geeky heaven right now :)

2. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

Hmmmmmmmm...........so he has a girlfriend and your being buttered up with a new console and game. I hear alarm bells going off. Are they being safe?

Just joking. Enjoy your new console and game mate. So jealous. It shows you raised a good bunch of kids.

3. Ebonytears

My son keeps laughing at me because I'm totally fangirling at the moment

One of the guys in at EB games is super excited about the Switch and, whenever I go in there we can spend a ridiculous amount of time geeking out over the switch and the games.

I have now pre-order the Zelda carry case and the Zelda stickers to bling my Switch. Also on pre-order the zelda cartridge case and Fire Emblem Fates Warriors. On Wednesday I will be pre-ordering Mario Cart 8 and the steering wheel accessory; also Super Mario Odyessy. Later on will be Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I like the way Nintendo encourages pre-orders. They usually only send a very small amount of the games to stores at release. Everyone knows that so they pre-order to ensure they get the game. Smart on Nintendos part because it reduces the number of potentially unsold games, saving them money. I love pre-ordering....I pay off a little bit each week and then, at release I get my game!

4. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Division Captain

Guess I'm not alone since I've preorder those also. :)

Ebonytears likes this.
  5. Ancient_One

The Switch has a lot of potential. I like that it might amalgamate the other handheld games into a single all encompassing device. I really hope that this works out for Nintendo in a big way.

If I wasn't watching movies and TV shows on the train already on an iPad, I would be playing games for sure on a Switch. I'm very excited for the future of Nintendo.

Keep us updated on your experiences.

6. le_gigs

le_gigs Just Joined

Yep - I'm getting one too! Great for me as I commute nearly 6 hours a day for work, 3 days a week.

I just launched an online service for tracking your games and consoles (what you have, what you want etc.) and for fun, the first member's survey question is, "Are you excited for the Nintendo Switch?". So far 100% of members say Yes. LOL

7. Ebonytears

This is so awesome!!! It actually makes the click sound when you dock or undock it which is cool. There's a variety of ways you can use the controllers so you can actually tailor it to how you play. Some people were a bit wary about the configuration of the buttons on the controllers but, I have a 2ds and the button configuration is almost exactly the same so it's super easy for me. The controllers sit comfortably in your hand, fingers almost naturally resting on the top buttons. Switching from tv to small screen is fluid and easy with no loss of game-play at all.

Zelda...seriously this game is epic! I can interact with so many things..cut down trees, roll boulders...spend a ridiculous amount of time jumping in puddles, because I can jump anytime now. There were some people who grumbled about graphics not being realistic. Nintendo has never really done into hyper real graphics. PS4 and Xbox try to put you into the game, Nintendo makes characters you become emotionally attached to. For Zelda, instead of including alot of detail they used color instead and it works, it really does work. I'm not really noticing the graphics at all, I'm having way too much fun looking around, cooking apples, killing mobs and rolling boulders :)

8. Ancient_One

That is excellent news and a good evaluation of the console and game. Thankyou for sharing. Your absolutely right. Nintendo has always been about game play and enjoyment. ie. fun. My wife, kids (adults) and I dust of the N64 to play Mario Cart from time to time. It's a game we totally enjoy even to this day. Nintendo games are like that. Memorable and fun.

I could buy one myself but then I have so many other devices in my life. I'm so glad you're enjoying your game and the console. Feel free to keep us updated.

If anyone else would like to share their experiences please feel free.

9. Ebonytears

I played on the tv for 6 hours last night. My son kept wanting to play the PS4 and pointed out I could 'switch' so he could do this but I refused - wanted to play on the big screen first :) Battery life in the controllers is awesome. After 6 hours they're still plugging on. I found time just flew by, there's so many things to do in Zelda. And the freedom to run around and interact with the environment in so many different ways is awesome. I died a fair bit too...running out of stamina while climbing a mountain causes you to fall. I froze to death in the snow. I got too close to the fire and burned. I got crushed by a rolling boulder. I also stood too close to my own bomb when I detonated it ... and died. This definately isn't a game that holds your hand, and that's part of the fun - exploring, dying, learning what works and what doesn't. I'm still in the starter zone...there's a chest I need to get that I froze to death trying to get. I have a warm coat now so I'm heading back up the mountain :)

10. Ebonytears

Ok have had some time to play in tablet mode. Initially it feels a little strange because it's wider than most handhelds but you get used to it quickly. I also found that my shoulders and neck didn't seem to feel cramped as they can when playing handhelds. Weight wise...I didn't really notice that it felt all that heavy compared to a normal tablet. I cannot give you a verdict on battery life as I forgot to look at the clock when I started :rolleyes:

This was fun. I didn't feel like I was missing anything because it was on a smaller screen. By using color instead of detail Nintendo has made the transition from tv to tablet almost flawless. I didn't feel at anytime that I was having trouble seeing anything (I sometimes find myself squinting on the 2ds) Basically it was exactly the same as playing on the tv except portable.

11. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

:bigthumbsup:Ebony.

I got my Switch just over a week ago. The daughter has been playing Breath of the Wild like mad. She loves it.

I quite enjoy it myself. I like the fact that I don't feel rushed. You learn the basics in the first several hours of gameplay (moving, camera, gathering, etc.), then are given the tools you will need to start actually influencing the world (bombs [unlimited BTW = win!], magnet [Magnesis], stop items [Stasis], and freeze water [Cryonis]), and then you are set loose. I love the minimal music and the full environmental sounds. I love being able to save anywhere. I love that it's very "Hey, I wonder what's on the other side of that hill?" friendly.

I've been taking the game in relatively short bursts of 2-4 hours and I don't mind it in the least.

12. Ebonytears

Yep that's what I love about it too. Yeah I can follow a quest line, but it's ok to just wander off and do other stuff if I see something interesting 'over there'.

I've also found that I enjoy playing the switch as a hand held just as much as on a big screen. I don't feel like it's cramped or I'm missing anything. Graphics are sharp and sound is clear. I tend to play until the battery on starts to go flat (around 3 hours) and then put it down.

I love the versatility. I can play on the big screen or as handheld. I can take it anywhere with me.

I have so many games on preorder now that it's becoming just a little embarrassing. Going to finish off paying for Mario Cart 8 next week and really looking forward to that (so is my youngest son who will be playing it with me the most). Then I have another 3 on preorder and seriously considering Rine as well.

People say Nintendo makes games for kids. Not true, their games have so much depth - you just need to be willing to dive in :)