NXE hands-on

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Arep, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Arep

Arep Correspondent<br>Retired Advisor

I had forgotten that I had signed up last week to beta test the new xbox interface. Imagine my surprise when I had an update waiting for me last night. I need to play with it a little more because my buddy was over and we were anxious to play Gears 2 and Nazi Zombies in CoD5. Coupled with the Live connection issues last night I didn't have a lot of time to experiment with it.

Its going to take some getting used to but I think I like it so far. Its definitely a nicer-looking interface. However, as is usually the case with Microsoft, when they make something look better it doesn't always translate into something that's easier to use. The NXE is somewhat of a mixed bag...putting some things up front that you had to drill down through yet making other things difficult to navigate to quickly. That could be part of the learning curve, however.

When you first sign into your profile you are "highly encouraged" to make an avatar. (I say 'highly encouraged' because I think you might be forced to but I didn't try to skip it so I am not sure) the avatar creation is a lot more involved than creating a Mii but the same principles apply. you build your face by choosing from some categorized options. Unlike on the Wii, you can choose from clothing, too. I was a touch disappointed by the choices but I imagine more will eventually be available. (though probably for money) Your old gamerpic is untouched, though you can replace it with a photograph of your avatar.

I instantly went to the Netflix app and downloaded it. You are asked to input a code into the Netflix site to link the box but I couldn't get mine to work last night. I heard it wasn't going to be available until December so that might be why.

You can install games to the hard drive to cut down on load times. Milage varies, check out the list here for some tests: So how much time are you saving? - Xbox 360 NXE Hard Drive Install Chart Keep in mind that it takes some time to install to the hard drive so set aside 5-10 minutes.

There you go...I'll add more if I make any significant discoveries today.

2. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Thanks for the info Arep. Just out of interest, how are the wallpaper themes and gamer pictures effected?

Are they now incompatible?

Had a look at the load times. Seems to be a mixed bag. My main focus here though is saving my poor ROM drive from having another heart attack :(

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. Arep

The old themes still work but obviously the ones made specifically for the NXE are nicer. With the old themes you'll see the main background picture with the page interface in front of it.

Gamer pictures are still usable as well. I know saw mine here and there though I'm not exactly sure where...maybe when you push the xbox button on the controller? I'll check tonight. The ability to replace the pic with one of your avatar was definitely optional. Your friends list is all based on avatars and if they don't have one you just see a shadow outline.

I am going to use the game copy option for the same reasons...already did Guitar Hero and going to do Rock Band. Probably whatever the "game du jour" is and then whatever other game sounds like its drop-kicking my disk drive.

4. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

I'm pretty happy with this update, it should give more and higher VGA-resolutions and a 16:10 proportion to choose from. This should mean better quality for VGA-cable users (and no more 2x scaling). Well, I'll see it tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  5. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

NXE is now available as of 10pm AEST.

I signed into my US Silver account until it prompted to update, so you may need a US account to upgrade.

Once upgraded, you can sign into any account...

6. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

LOL This is the way to do it. Two pieces of black bars, one in the top and one in the bottom of the screen, even on the NXE menu screen. Sure the aspect ratio is now 16:10.

I laughed my *** off when I saw this. Just when I was thinking I should finally insert digital cables, but I guess VGA will do fine in this case. Not worth the mess with audio cables.

I like the new dashboard, or NXE, it's more logical than the old dashboard. Somehow I could not find anything from the old version, took ages, mostly like years, to find even one setting. This seems good.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  7. Arep

From G4:

With today's kick off of the New Xbox Experience, Microsoft will double the "fashion selection" options for the new player avatars over the next few months.

New parts will be marked with a yellow star in the Avatar Creator Tool --perhaps it's a free feature?

Although Xbox Live product manager, Jerry Johnson, didn't specify if these are free or not, he did say that they will be in theme packs.

You can also purchase new items for your Avatar when an Xbox Live avatar store opens next spring.

Microsoft also plans on launching unlockable avatar items based on in-game achievements.

8. UNK

UNK Well-Known Member

ok one of the things that they are not telling everyone is that most xboxs made before june of this year will no longer work with the new dashboard. your xbox will freeze in the dash and during game play then it will 3 red light you. i am sending mine in to be replace/repaired.

9. Pure Mongrel

I updated the XBOX I got at launch and I have had no troubles with it so far (Touch wood).
    You sure it was not just your xbox's "time"? It seems an XBOX does not become ... umm ... a mature XBOX until it passes it's right of passage at a Microsoft authorised repair centre :D

10. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

UNK, does this mean pre-Falcon era, or an era after certain Falcon versions. I'm not sure, I guess they on at least V3 on Falcon now and some people seem to have got something called a "Jasper", which seems to be the newest version. That might have a 65nm GPU, I guess. I just guess.

Falcon still has a 90nm GPU (yet the CPU is 65nm), they used more glue and better cooling systems... but... the GPU still generates a lot of heat. Or is it the DVD-drive or HDD, then I dunnot know there might been something with the other components too.

I have no idea about this thing. My XBOX 360 has just yesterday beginned to freeze when playing Fallout 3. Still no RROD, and I'm not sure if it's Fallout 3 related problem, or is this console now digging slowly it's own grave... I guess I see it soon, if there's something to see.

11. UNK

UNK Well-Known Member

my xbox was made 2/21/08
    for the dates and times associated with the failure there is a thread in the xbox forums some one started but they might have removed it by now.

12. Pure Mongrel

My son and his friend have been playing HALO 3 all night with the launch XBOX and they have not had any problems.

I gave CoD5 a fair go on my Elite and no problems with freezing. The only issue I had was that when I treid to load CoD5 to the Elites hard drive (about 4 times) I kept getting a "This disk is dirty or scratched error". So I swapped hard drives with the launch console and it loaded no issues.

Funny thing is when I swapped the hard drives back and tried to play CoD5 off the hard drive it would not let me. A message stating that I could only play the game on the console I loaded it on. So I deleted it and then out of whim I tried reinstalling it with the Elite. This time it worked no problems.

Very strange :confused:

13. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

I was mostly thinking about three possibilities here. You probably know these things, but I had to try to figure out that mess in xbox-forums, in some way.

1) New games and updates seem always create an "oh this game killed my XBOX 360"-effect, and it's just a final blow to a console, that's motherboard has warped and solders fractured.
    2) A firmware update is a sensitive process. One can always except some random difficulties for some random people, because sometimes flashing a firmware goes wrong. (for example distortions in the electric current). An update for XBOX 360 may contain a firmware flashing procedure.
    3) There's some diversity on the technology used in XBOX 360's. It's possible that a firmware update may create difficulties in some electronic apparatus having a wide diversity of hardware used, but this is something I just don't know. I have no intention to research a XBOX 360 rom and try to figure it out, and I don't know if it is that kind of an apparatus or not. So this is just a guess, but it's not uncommon, - a firmware update can create problems to all kind of electronic devices.

There was a lot of complaints in xbox forums, I could not find the thread describing manufacturing dates, etc, but seems a lot of people got different kind of problems with this update. I guess it's a mixed bag containing all those three types of problems and something I can't figure out.

I guess.

Good luck with the new/repaired console you get.

14. UNK

UNK Well-Known Member

yeah its just odd that this is the second time an update to the dashboard has ruined my xbox BTW the first xbox i had i got on launch day never had a problem with it until the first dashboard update. and I was using that one sometimes up to 48 hours without ever shutting it off. The second one I got after the dashboard update fried the first one lasted about 6 months then 3 rrod. Then they sent a third one which was fine until the cd started getting stuck all the time then it would finally, every game I put in it was just a message popping up please insert this disk into an xbox 360 (which I thought was the funnest message ever) that one was replaced as a matter of fact everytime I have sent my xbox in to be fixed they replaced it with a brand new one whith the current one i have now which was made in feb. this one was working fine for about 3 hours after the update then like I said it started freezing during times I was in friends list then during game play and finally the 3 rrod happened so back it goes hopefully they will send me another NEW one that will have no problems. but I will always keep the warrenty (extended well worth the $60.00) one up to date on it. that way they can keep replacing them at no cost to me. this was just to let everyone know there is an issue with some of the xboxs they know about it and are trying to fix it. but with even 100-1000 people effected by this that trashes their xboxs thats still what less then 1% of 1% of the total number of xboxs sold on launch day so nothing for them to be concerned about.