Oblivion aka crash-a-thon!

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by insomnia, Jun 5, 2007.

1. insomnia

insomnia Getting Started

I've recently decided to give Oblivion another go, basically I hoped the patching Bethseda has been doing would fix a few of the insane number of bugs. I also wanted to give some mods a go, in order to fix some of the incredible moronic game-play vanilla Oblivion slaps in the face of it users. So I decided to get Oscaro's Oblivion Overhaul (seemed to be the most loved overhaul mod out there).

Having the newest patch up and running, and OOO newest version aswell, I was ready to enjoy Oblivion again (or should I say for the first time?!). OOO is brilliant at sorting out some of Oblivion's shortcommings, and I had really gotten into things, with about 9 hours of game play, when the game fist crashed.

No biggie! After all, I had played Oblivion vanilla, and knew this was bound to happen at some stage, so I saved frequently. Too frequently it would seem. My oldest save is of me outside about to enter a Aelyd ruin, which now crashes upon loading. All other save games are inside the ruin, which thanks to OOO is not possible for a level 2 character to fly through (or even get through at all) - and make no mistake, I think this is a good thing. Finally dungeons are a challenge, and finally I can't expect to get through anything at any level.

The problem, however, is that when I try to exit the ruin and the game attempts to load the outside world, Oblivion crashes again. So I tried an even earlier save game, one where I'm about to exit the sewers underneath the Imperial Prison (last place where you can make changes to your character, and a very nice place to have a save for later games so you dont have to waste time running through the Tutorial-Quest). Again, as I attempt to enter the world, the game crashes.

I suppose the only thing left to do is to try to start a new game, should that crash too, I'm going to have to reinstall Oblivion, patch it up again (for all good that does...), and consider to mod with OOO again, running a chance of the exact same thing happening all over after 10 hours of game play.

Alternatively, I can just give Oblivion the final boot, and regret the day I ever bought this scandal of a game...

2. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Have you tried using a console command to zap yourself to, say, Imperial City?

Try lowering video settings, lower sound acceleration settings ...

3. insomnia

insomnia Getting Started

Cheers Jigs, it worked. For some reason it seemed loading the 'greater world' was a problem, but it seems it still crashes radomly (as it used to before any patching was done), and almost every time I quit the game...

4. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Have heard from a few friends that have the same problem..

.. I must admit to being very surprised at how unstable Oblivion seems to be?

5. Attee

Attee Well-Known Member

I'm currently playing Oblivion with a mid-range system. I dont have any crashes but I does freeze up sometimes when loading or when I try to bring up my quests.

6. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

I've got a bit of a dated system too, and have put many, many hours into it. The exceedingly few bugs I've seen make me think this game is almost perfect. It's crashed on me only two or three times, in well over 100 hours of play. Probably two of those times have been from my system just not being up to it.

Getting a new beefy vid card soon, so it'll also be looking like a beauty too!

Sorry to hear that so many have problems with it... but that's the major downside of the PC world. Everyone has differing specs. Can't please all the people all the time... Very fortunately for me, I'm in the "Pleased" category!

7. Gilderan

Gilderan Well-Known Member

Yeah - I am getting the CTD yet again after updating the vid drivers last night. Must say I have NEVER had this much of a problem with a newly installed game.

Maybe I might give Dark Messiah a go - can't be much worse !!

...and I thought I had the issues with it resolved last night :(

Anyway - I have mailed the support people. Will let you know if I get a response.

8. Gilderan

Have also tried loading from previous saves - last save was in some ruins - but to no avail. Have tried with all vid settings and again to no avail.

It is a real waste of my time actually as I have not really had more than about an hour at most every few evenings to geek off and I have spent it this week trying to work around slopping coding (or so it seems from the complaints on the distributors forums).

9. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Buy a PS3 and play on their.

Never had a problem. :p

Sorry doesn't help your situation. :cool:

10. Sandro

Sandro Well-Known Member

Well, I'm kind of glad to hear that other people have problems with Oblivion, I thought all my troubles were solely due to my crap PC, maybe that is only half my problem.

11. Gilderan

Cheeky bugger!! :D

12. Gilderan

Did manage to get the game going last night - had to go to the video settings and click the use defaults button. Resetting back to defaults (even though that was what it was on when the problem began) seemed to correct it this time.

Will post up any more findings from this weekend.

13. Spectre8

Lets hope we don't hear from you for a long time!! :)

I mean that in the nicest possible way! :p

14. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Sometimes in games it's better to stick the default settings then to try and boost it for better visual effects.

All you end up doing is put more strain on the program/video card/CPU/monitor and the end result could be sh-t.

15. Gilderan

The weird thing was that on Saturday night I could not for the life of me get Oblivion going - changed / disabled nearly everything. Then Sunday - started up fine when I created a new game.

16. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Have to say the amount of crashes I had with Oblivion originally were a shocker, constant CTD, was driving me mad!
    One of these things or the combination of fixed it:

Ended up disabling all the autosave features
    Using Nvidia Driver 93.71
    Turn off xfire (whenever I did have a CTD I had an xfire chat window that had just opened)

Have to say that it's running rock solid now, still playing Oblivion to date!
    But I feel your pain as I went through it myself.

And I literally am to scared to update my video drivers since, I just don't want to take the risk that something might cause my Oblivion to CTD again.

17. Spectre8

I just did a few tweaks to "help improve gameplay" and yep, down she went.

There are a few .ini modifications to help the CPU load, such as reducing the shadows from the grass, and the number of tree replications. I basically did all of the listed tweaks in the recent Atomic PC mag... and had crash after crash! Never thought there'd be much difference in the tweaks! But back to the backup, change two big ones, and now she's fine again.

BUT... new video card on its way, so hopefully it'll be smooth sailing. Awesome game, and totally addicted!

18. Coot

Coot World of Warcraft Leader

I did a windows update last week (Framework something or other patch) and when I tried to open Oblivion it would fade out halfway through the intro sequence. Just wouldn't load up. A system restore to before the update did not help. I ended up removing Oblivion completely, redoing the update and then reinstalling the game before it would work again. Weird! :mad:

19. Gilderan

Had a good session on Oblivion yesterday. The only way for me to get it going is to shut down all other apps (Skype and XFire) then run the reset settings to default button - click my heals together and say "There's no place like Oblivion"...and presto - it works !!

What a game - open ended - no class restrictions - nice graphics. I wish I had a better rig to run it on but that will have to wait till later in the year.

20. Spectre8

Played it so much this year, it's astounding! I think it's fair to say I'm well and truly addicted! Clearly, the best game I've ever played. Open ended?? Holy crap, I played it to death (or so I though) a couple of months ago, and now, I've put in even more hours with a different character, and I've hardly replayed any of the missions!

This game would have to have the best ever replay-ability! First time I played through, I did the main quests, many of the little ones along the way, and some of the Mages, and Fighters guild ones. This time, Shivering Isles, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, and just finished the Mages Guild line too! Lets just say that getting my fame higher than my infamy was not easy! :D

Astounding levels of detail and story telling. I just love it!