Old hardware you still own?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by Rog69, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Celem

Celem Active Member

oooh, got a few gems in my parents attic now i think on it.
    Amstrad CPC 464 that I rescued from a skip about 3 years ago.
    Later Amstrad, cant remember the exact model any longer, played Brabben's first Elite on this with the georgeous wire-frame ships. Nice to see folks still remember this game as evidenced by our post count ratings:)
    ZX spectrum +2 but few games for that, it had a nasty habit of chewing tapes.
    amiga600, bought direct from the irvine factory a few months after general release, played the original civilization (6 floppy disks >.<) and railroad tycoon, both meier classics. Upgraded with the 2mb chip RAM through the trapdoor expansion, another 4mb RAM through the PC card slot.
    still got most of the bits from my 486 25SX too, no monitor though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. Tulgar

Tulgar Battlefield Leader

Lol! I forgot all about the Amstrad! I actually think this was one of the first computers that got me into games! 2 of my mates had the Amstrad. I have some vague recollections about some platform game with crappy sound and some other racing game where I think the track narrowed the longer you played.

3. poida80

poida80 Guest

It depends on how classic you mean I still have my old Dreamcast and Ps lol but as I stated in my intro post I am trying to put together a retro-console arcade which will feature all consoles from the Atari onwards with hopefully a tv for each of them...or at least a lot of aerial double adaptors hehe:D I will submit pics as it develops but is going to be a little slow in getting it done.

4. poida80

poida80 Guest

Forgot

i also want to have a few of the older pcs...vic20 (anyone remember voodoo castle?) and an amstrad...ahh leisure suit larry how ive missed thee lol :rolleyes:

5. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

On the PC front there is only a Win98 machine that has moved to the back of the couch. Everything else is either still in use or a single backup pc if one dies and needs to get repaired.

On the console front though I have a fair few systems. Intellivison with lots of games, keyboard (very dodgy tech) and voice module. NES, SNES, N64 with plenty of games (not too many N64 ones though). Atari Lynx (1st gen) with a ton of games. Sega Megadrive (1st gen) with the add ons for Master System, MegaCD and 32X. A couple of PS1 for link gaming.

Only things hooked up these days are my PS2 and Wii.

From around 1990-2003 I was buying 1-3 new console games every 2 weeks. By the end my PC use time diverted me away from console use.

One thing you should be careful of with hoarding old PC parts. I have a friend who is just like Deadfyre in that he helps people all around his town (usually the kind of people that can't afford to go to a shop to get things done) with PC problems and he tends to get to keep the old parts. Being on a pension he also made a little extra cash selling movies to friends. Someone got pissed off at him and evetually the cops did a raid and seized everything. Due to the ammount of old unusable tech in his 2 room apartment, the cops thought they had smashed a large piracy ring and the local paper even reported it as a multi million dollar operation. Some really nice detective work there. Case is slowly on it's way to getting thrown out of court after well over a year of police delay tactics. /end of Anti-establishment rant

6. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

LULZ at cops... I don't think some should generally be allowed anywhere near computers.. dumb terminals at most :p

7. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

Well, let's see...

I still have the first computer I bought back around 1992 with my own damn money lying around here somewhere. A Packard Bell 486SX-25Mhz desktop I used to play DOS games and mess around with Windows 3.0. I currently have an AMD K6-2 400Mhz machine set up with Win98SE so I can play some of those old DOS games I have and enjoy (like Conquest of the New World Deluxe).

I also have an Atari 2600 Jr. Rev A with a mess of cartridges. I even have a modified cartridge with an IC "dock" soldered & wired up to accept loose chips that the games were programed on. I remember buying it from someone who used to dumpster dive Atari's plant in Sunnyvale. Not sure why it doesn't work anymore, never got around to tearing it up and looking at how it was really done.

Of course, I have a NES, Super NES, Nintendo64, GameCube, original GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance, all with games I've kept.

I used to have a Commodore C64 that I'd play pirated games on. I even used it up until 1994 with a 300 baud modem to connect to Quantum Link, the precursor to America Online. But, had to get rid of it when I moved to Japan while I was in the military. I miss it.

Best of all, my father has kept the old 6-switch Atari VCS - CX2600 I played as a kid. I suspect it may actually be the "heavy sixer" version that was manufactured in the US, though I haven't confirmed it.

My dad also has our old Apple ][e he bought for us "school age" kids back in the mid 1980's. We were already using them at school and we convinced the parents that we needed to have one at home to do homework and such. We had the DuoDisk and Monitor to go with the mess of games and applications I spent my hard earned money on.

Anyone still have a working Merlin? I do! But, I'm missing the box, instruction manual, and battery cover.

8. Rachelle

Rachelle Just Joined

i still have my NES here but i dunno if it is still working.

9. Squeezer

Squeezer Active Member

Amiga 500
    Commodore 64
    and Vic20 ( No power supply )

10. ^42U^ C. Fodder

^42U^ C. Fodder Getting Started

Would a demo disc from a Playstation magazine for the PS1 count?
    Number28 that is....make a good place to sit my coffee cup.

Yeah,some of the old game rocked...miss the trader game Elite....damn those Thargoids!

11. cougar75

cougar75 Getting Started

I've got two C64's with two disk drives and one tape drive stashed in a cupboard with a pile of games, I've also got and old PSX lying around somewher and I might even have an Atari 2600 as well. I did have a second generation Mega Drive but that's gone to live with my brother.

Unfortunately none of them get out much although I have been toying with idea of playing a bit of Buck Rogers RPG on the C64 recently.

(also thinking of tracking down an old Amiga 500 as well)

Long live the retro hardware!

12. lupin

lupin Retired Moderator

Although I play almost everyting via emulators now days I still have a decent collection, most of which all have original boxes.

Arati 2600
    Intelevision
    Vic20
    C64
    Amiga 500
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    Mega drive
    Original game boy.
    As well as the current crop of consoles.

I'm trying to convince the wife to set up the spare bedroom as a little retro games area, along with my mame cabinet.

And I'm always looking on ebay for those nintendo game and watch games.

13. paygem

paygem Well-Known Member

I've got a serious addiction to video game consoles and games... I have an Atari 2600 (and 30+carts), 2 NESes (30+carts), 2 SNESes (20+carts), 2 N64 (30+carts), 3 Sega Genesis 1 w/32x (50+carts), 3 PSXes (50+ discs), Gamecube (20+ discs), Xbox (20+discs), Dreamcast (20+games), 2 Sega Gamegear (20+ carts), Gameboy, 2 Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advanced (30+ GB carts), Nintendo DS (new so only 2 carts so far), Xbox 360 (10+ discs), Wii (10+ discs), and I feel like I've forgotten something...

I used to have a Sega CD - it was my sort of 3rd system I got, but pawned it for my first SNES - still have 2 Sega CD games though.

Should I mention of all of those I maybe play Wii twice a month...... that might change (see new thread which brought me here)

Last edited: May 22, 2008
    Tulgar likes this.
  14. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

On that same note...

Did I forget to mention that I still have the very first 3.5" demo disc from PC Gamer's Premiere issue? The Vol. 1 No. 1 disc has the demo for Theme Park. Don't have the magazine itself, though.

15. jayMPH

jayMPH Getting Started

I still have my gameboy. The very first gameboy and some game and watch.

16. ex-oh-dus

ex-oh-dus Just Joined

I own an Amiga, a snes, and old old game gear that's in the roof! :)

17. AllSchoolGamer

AllSchoolGamer Just Joined

18. jayMPH

jayMPH Getting Started

Just recently I found my SEGA Genesis inside a box that is being kept in our garage and it's still working.:)

19. AllSchoolGamer

AllSchoolGamer Just Joined

Yeah I had the same experience with my dreamcast. Was in a smelly old box in the garage with other junk for about 5 years...pulled it out and it worked perfectly, opened it up and it was clean as a whistle.
    I can't really imagine being able to do that with the 360 or ps3.

20. MTDOS

MTDOS Getting Started

Nice collection All School Gamer!

I have a couple of old school Sheen and Conrad 'Colour TV Game' systems as well as my C64, PS1(x2), Snes(x4), GC, WII, MAME Arcade Cabinet and 1 game and watch game. I am planning on collecting the Game and Watch LCD games but some of there are pretty expensive now : )