$$$ on ESO

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by diabolic_malice, Feb 11, 2014.

1. diabolic_malice

diabolic_malice Active Member

After buying the game for 60 - 120 odd bucks depending on what addons you want, playing it for 30 days and then forking out an additional $15 a month just to play some more really worth it?

I was about to buy it but suddenly backed away when I saw the money you need to subscribe after and it didn't even matter if you purchased the imperial kit or not.

After 30 days I am sure I would still be playing and not be sick of it.

piece of gold for your thoughts or 15

2. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

I want TESO to be relatively successful.

Successful enough they continue the series, but not successful enough they decide to continue the MMO.

So I pre-ordered (I do on most big MMOs anyway - I have the Conan box set which was something like $150 and played it for maybe 3 months LOL) but like most MMOs, I don't see myself playing for more than 3 months.

Then again, I'm currently subscribed to SWTOR much to my surprise, so who knows?

3. diabolic_malice

Maybe I am just being too cheap, if the subscription cost was lifted I would of ordered the game by now, but that is not going to happen. I would even settle for 5 bucks a month

4. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

$15 a month = .50 cents a day... What does a cup of coffee cost? How about a soda? A simple candy bar? YET play time is whenever, however long available each and every day and game play extends the time to drink that coffee or soda, or eat that candybar... in fact, It exceeds all three together. What today actually costs .50 cents and provides what an MMO provides?

My .50 cents worth :)

5. diabolic_malice

I would not mind paying 50c a day if I didn't have to initially buy the game, but that also means you need to cut out coffee, soda or candybars just to play. Passed out players everywhere lol.

Isn't purchasing a license for your game to play online for as long as you please enough? What if ESO does not deliver what is promised and you have subscribed?

They could of sweeten the deal with a longer subscription with the imperial version at least, for 3 months even at least that's money well spent.

Am I being too dramatic about all this? Or do you think its unfair on how much we spend to play online?

6. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

If you live in Europe or Australia, then it's overpriced. Otherwise, I'd say it's fine. It's what we've been paying for years for games like this. Only recently have players begun to expect more for less.

7. Cahiry

Cahiry VR Crack Dealer Officer

The box price get's the company there production money back for making the game, rumors are saying 200 Mil spent for ESO.
    The sub pays the ongoing cost of running servers and customer support etc plus its their profit.

8. joeshmoe554

joeshmoe554 Well-Known Member

I've been paying the subscription fee for SWTOR since it was released and I still love that game, so I definitely don't have a problem paying a subscription on an MMO. Though I will have to consider if I want to pay 2 subscriptions or possibly reduce my play to one or the other. I've already pre-orded the physical Imperial Edition as I want a map of Tamriel to go alongside my current Morrowind, Cyrodil, and Skyrim maps, and I can definitely see myself playing the game for a month.

I'll probably decide whether or not to renew my subscription around that time.

9. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

World Of Warcraft
    Upfront cost - $40 to $60 depending on what package you get
    Monthly costs - $12.99 to $14.99 per month depending on what length of subscription you get.

SWTOR
    Upfront cost - $60 to $80 or depending on what package you get
    Monthly costs - $12.99 to $14.99 per month depending on what length of subscription you get. recently went F2P

Most other AAA MMO titles are the same.

CAUTION - Basic maths ahead.

Now try this.
    Example Game 1
    Upfront costs = $100 (on average)
    6 months of game time = 6 x $15 = $90
    TOTAL = $190 for 6 months game time.

Number days in 6 months = 6 x 30 (average) = 180 days (best case senario)
    Number of weekend days per month in 6 months (max play time) = 6 x 8 (average) = 42 days (worst case senario).

Cost per day
    Best case senario = $190/180days = $1.05/day
    Worst case sneario = $190/42 = $4.50/day

I dont know about you, but I spend $4.50 on coffee every day before work. I'll happy spend that on a hobby that keeps me sober and at home.

The cost is reasonable considering the alternative. A Blue-ray will cost you $30 for 2 hrs entertainment, dinner about $50 per person for 3 to 4hrs max, going to the movies is about the same, the pub is anywhere between $20 to $200. Sports or any other regular activity are about the same too. My gym costs me $15 a week for @#$% sake.

Edit- Missed this... I took too long to type my response :)
    o7 I salute thee

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

I hear what you are saying. I tend to disagree as my most favorite MMO's over the past 15+ years have started w/ the initial purchase and all held monthly subscriptions.
    A couple in it's final days switched to fee2play w/ only one continuing due to it's brilliant structure (EVE Online).
    DAoC, SWG, EVE and a couple others all started with an initial fee & monthly subscription.

Enough people are eager to pay.

In the end, ESO is charging for the product and holding a subscription. You will decide whether it is worth it to you or not. :)

11. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

enjoyed beta, I don't mind paying the sub. alternative entertainment just as expensive if not more.

12. cowkiller

cowkiller Active Member

i played 14 years of EQ 1 - 2
    3 years WOW
    paying 15$ per month + expansions

ESO is ether going to win or die in the first few months i have zero problems with 15$ a month
    EverQuest 1 was 15$ per month on release so far nobody has gone up in sub fees
    even knowing that min wage has gone up it stayed the same

so the question is yes or no
    pay to play might be a dying a slow death but who knows

13. Kaladan

Kaladan Active Member

I have no problem with paying a subscription as it helps pay for the infrastructure of the mmo as well as content updates over its life.

I am used to paying a subscription however, so it's familiar ground. For those that are fans of Elder Scrolls and have not paid a sub before for a game will likely find a sub to be a bit of a stumbling block.

14. Wakalu

Wakalu Getting Started

I don't understand why people are so upset about the monthly fee for this game. I feel like it keeps out some of the riff raff and trolls, not to mention the money goes to the support and future of the game. $15 is less than going to the movies once in a month, which only provides about three hours of entertainment. I imagine i will put at least three hours a week into this game.

15. diabolic_malice

Hmmmm I can take the plunge and buy it and not have to worry about the subscription in 30 days and explaining to my wife where 15 clams a month is going.... Can also phase out on playing anything else till 2015 if its good enough. You know what I will do it thanks for the responses guys appreciate it lots. This will be my first MMO so be gentle

Sytes likes this.
  16. Kaladan

Kaladan Active Member

A sub is something you just have to put into perspective in regards entertainment and your expectations. As Wakalu pointed out, think on what it costs for certain things and how much time to you receive in regards to that.

For example:

• Going to the movies, 90mins to 180mins
    • Going to a motorsport event, all day or perhaps 3-5 hrs
    • Take aways/food/drinks - duration of consumption
    • MMO $15US - a month
    Also what does a subscription do:
    • Full access to the game (if it has a free to play option)
    • On going income for the upkeep of the infrastructure
    • On going income for updates whether to fix bugs or new content, and therefore staff continuing to be employed to maintain the quality
    • Generally means there will be a better community as you don't have the f2p riff raff that fill chat with obscenities. Of course this can still happen in a sub game but it will be a lot less
    In the end though you have to figure out if it is worth it for your time. So with that in mind you could buy the game and get the 30 days that is included and see how you go.

Of course it would be a substantial amount of money to be spent if you decide within the 30 days that it's not for you as you then have game on your pc that you cannot access.

The key to really enjoying these games that require a sub is to be in a great guild. And since you're here you're off to a great start!

:bigsmile:

17. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Cheers towards your first MMO. :)

18. diabolic_malice

Well if I catch the train for a month instead of driving to work for a I can afford it. The next 4 weeks is really going to suck. Pardon the French.

19. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

I dont mind subs at all. It will probably save me money since I tend to drop a lot into in-game stores.

Now I am just waiting expectantly for the membership options to be released. Crossing my fingers for a reasonable lifetime sub option...

20. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

While this would be awesome I don't think we'll really see this (lifetime sub). I would have expected to see this as part of a pre-order package?