$$$ on ESO

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by diabolic_malice, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Snowbull

Snowbull Retired Moderator

Paying for the game covers the development cost.

Paying subs pays for the on going support and infrastructure costs.

If you don't pay subs then you definitely will have an in game shop of some description that provides a revenue stream.

I personally don't like micro transaction in game shops. I do use them when they have something I want but I feel soiled when I do..

I would rather not pay the $30 per month out of our budget but when I consider what I would spend for other forms of entertainment if I didn't have it, then it really is trivial.

And no, I really don't see a lifetime sub being offered now, will look at it if they do one though.

2. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I'm ready for this. My wife and I already have a plan for this game. I'll be setting up the recurring payment on a credit card that I do not use to basically put some activity on it. This is one step in helping us build up our credit rating. It will be the only thing the credit card is used for.

3. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

To me, it is an early adopter tax, but I am prepared to pay it. I know that so many months down the line, the upfront price of the game will be cheaper. Longer still, it may or may not go f2p. But right now, I'm in between MMOs that I enjoy and would like to fill that gap with ESO. It will cost me and my husband 18 pounds a month between us. That monthly cost is way less than a meal out for us.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Captain

It's basically the same with me. Even with the subscription I think it would take about 11 years until ESO takes as much money as SC has from me.

5. Kaliante

Kaliante Getting Started

That really is the issue for those who enjoyed the single-player games. If TESO is financially successful, we will not see another offline Elder Scrolls game for many years.

6. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

That is incorrect. ESO is being developed by Zenimax Online Studios. While Bethesda Game Studios are what make the Elder Scrolls Series. Two separate entities under their parent company Bethesda Softworks.

We'll most likely still see Elder Scrolls games.

7. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

I don't think that will be an issue. The team at Zenimax Online making Elder Scrolls Online is different from the one at Bethesda making the single-player Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. They share a parent company (Zenimax) but are otherwise separate.

I think Bethesda will continue alternating between single-player Fallout and Elder Scrolls games for the foreseeable future, regardless of what happens to ESO. Elder Scrolls is their baby - they're not going to let another team steal it from them.

8. Cahiry

Cahiry Elite Dangerous Captain

They have stated that development of the next TES solo game is under way.
    TES series is to lucrative to stop making them.

9. Kaliante

Kaliante Getting Started

Really? Please provide a link to the official announcement that The Elder Scrolls "6" is now in development. I didn't see any news to the effect that it was officially underway. They are advertising for jobs for a new game, but I am not aware that TES6 has been announced as that game. I would be very interested in seeing your source for that as I would really enjoy another offline game in the series.

@ Thymos and Cromulent :
    What do you mean my statement was "incorrect?" My statement was an opinion as were your comments, and your comments are not supported by anything more substantive than my opinion. To state that a different development entity under Zenimax is developing TESO is not an argument against what I proposed.

World of Warcraft was spawned from the highly successful Warcraft strategy series. Following the success of WoW, we have not seen a Warcraft strategy game for 11 years! Is it the thesis of you two that Blizzard couldn't muster the resources to simultaneously have separate development teams for WoW and an offline Warcraft IV strategy game? You are wrong if that is your belief. My belief is that Blizzard didn't want to make competing products. An offline strategy game and an online MMORPG in the same Warcraft fantasy universe have far less overlap than TES and TESO in their consumer base. My opinion is you are wrong if you think Zenimax will release products that compete with each other in a far greater manner than two strategy/MMO Warcraft products would ever have done.

I will bet you a thin dime against my next paycheck that we will not see an offline TES if TESO is a substantial fiscal success. Zenimax/Bethesda are far too savvy to draw subscribers away the online game by releasing a competing offline game. I would say that time will tell which of us is correct, but I don't think that TESO will be a long-term subscription success, so it is a bit of a moot point.

10. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Sorry, but that seems like you are speaking from fact. It doesn't say, "My opinion" or "my feelings are."

Blizzard also destroyed the continuity of where Warcraft 3 was heading in the story. Plus they managed to change some of the lore from Warcraft 3 in WoW. So there is quite a lot of overlapping mess. ESO is set long in the past, to not affect the next Elder Scrolls game.

11. Samcharles

Samcharles Just Joined

I've played a number of MMOs and they have almost all started with the cost of the game being $40 - $60 and a $15 monthly fee. I have no problem paying this for games that I feel are good games in my opinion. I know it's always a risk as any new MMO could become F2P or even tank completely. With ESO it's a risk I'm more than happy to take.

12. diabolic_malice

diabolic_malice Active Member

I am just glad my wife does not play MMO 30 bucks a month cant do it, actually she does not play at all even when I offered to fund and build her a RIG. Yet she gets jealous if I have a female companion in my games :?

What would be the best option digital copy or retail and where?

13. Cahiry

Cahiry Elite Dangerous Captain

Sorry bad wording I was referring to to the "job add for their new game " that most sites are putting down to being TES 6 Dev team.

14. Kaliante

Kaliante Getting Started

[Post removed - Breach of AUP/COC/Forum Server Guidelines]

Should you wish you can edit your post to comply with the guidelines. Please note that reinstating an offending post, or replacing it with content that is in breach will result in the post being deleted and may result in further action.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  15. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I'm truly sorry, again. Also know that I am not trying to start a fight here.

Blizzard did mess entirely with the lore of where the story of Warcraft 3 left off when they came up with WoW. It was for the purpose of creating a 2 faction MMO, but it still would make it difficult to salvage the storyline, especially since they are still continuing it with more and more expansions to WoW.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  16. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Guys,

Since the trend MMO wise has been F2P mostly although "Arena Net" with "Guild Wars 1 & 2" offered buy to play with no monthly subscription. Gamers as consumers start to question when publishers / developer studio's buck that trend overall. Perhaps the global economy is getting better for some, but that may not include the average household. Here in the States at least households have been spending less on their entertainment dollars versus other years.

Some consumers may wait it out to see if Zenimax / Bethesda has a successful retail launch of the game. Since it took Bioware / EA only 9 months or so to flip SWTOR to the F2P business model. Many are comparing the two game titles in a similar light whether its deserved or not.

Actually my bovine friend when the original "Everquest" launched in 1999 the monthly subscription cost was $9.99 a month US. Unless your thinking of "Everquest 2" in 2004 that probably has kept the industry wide rate of $14.99 a month.

For myself i'm struggling whether to stay with an existing F2P game title aka (FireFall). I'm already committed to EQ:NL via a "Trail Blazer" founders pack. To see if ESO does well after its first few months after launch without converting to F2P. Or bucking my hesitation to buy a rather more fully fleshed out MMO game title with a subscription there after. Those 25% off pre-order codes you folks are posting are quite tempting to say the least. ;)

17. AlphaGamma

AlphaGamma Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Settle down folks, play the ball, not the man. :)

18. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

I believe I paid $15 a month approximately for the Dark Ages of Camelot back in 2000 or somewhere around there. Same with Star Wars Galaxies and Eve Online. All three were package type sales before the subscription.

Regardless, I remember going to video arcades a long while ago and for an awesome 5 minutes at the most, except for a few games, it would cost me 1 quarter to 50 cents.
    in today's time for something that exceed that 5 minutes by a long shot... the price for half of what it would cost a regular candy bar today this is an awesome form of entertainment!

FEE2Play, as it is frequently referred, holds the case of advancement by the almighty dollar. Subscriptions retain the integrity of everyone on the same field.

in the end, if people don't want to play the subscription game - well more power to you. Games after all, are designed to cater to certain groups. Best to everyone in deciding whether this game caters to your desire.

19. Sloffe

Sloffe Well-Known Member

My issue wasn't with the subscription cost but with the cost of the game. Asking $90 dollars for a digital download is a bit steep in my opinion. I've since found there are online shops asking $50 - $60 which makes me scratch my head. For the shops to make a profit selling the game Zenimax would have to be selling them to the retailers for at least half the retail price that Zenimax is asking but they're quite happy to overcharge their direct download customers.

20. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

That's very true, but Zenimax are by no means the only offenders. With every game release I've bought recently the digital download cost was more expensive than Amazon and all the usual game retailers, and sites like GMG were cheaper still.