$$$ on ESO

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by diabolic_malice, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Xyth

Xyth Getting Started

I support the cost of the game and the monthly fee. A well funded game allows for ongoing quality and development. It will lower overall user base size, but that base will consist of more dedicated players. If Z can balance the revenue/expenditure equation with this smaller base I have high hopes for several years of amazing adventure in this game.

2. Thunderfire

Thunderfire Just Joined

Hi all,
    WooHoo first post ( other than application ) on this site...ok now on to the meat of the subject.

I fully support the fee as the fee supports the game.I have seen games where bugs never get fixed, improvements don't come or come very slowly, given there is no guarantee with a fee that will improve, loss of income is one heck of a motivator.In fee games your vote gets noticed because the bean counters start asking "Hey, how come revenue is down?"

My other thought ... I played WoW for 6 years from beta, and that MMO so captured my attention that I cannot fathom how much money that game saved me over that time, not only from buying other games but if you think about it, an entire year subscription is maybe 2 nights out. I would venture a guess that most of us have stayed home at least that many nights to play a game or 2 :)

Trimethicon likes this.
  3. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Welcome to the boards, Mr. Firefighter. First, I would like to thank you for what you do. Second, great post to jump into these boards.

I fully agree. It's pretty cheap when you compare to other forms of entertainment.

4. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

I don't mind paying for the game and a subscription, but then all content should be free wich it isn't.
    They already are trying to nickle and dime you like a free to play MMO.
    They put a playable race and ingame bonusses that give an unfair advantage behind a paywall wich i find totally unacceptable, because they bloody well know that the fans are going for the more expensive package.
    Who knows what else they are going to put into micro transactions.
    This would be ok if it was free to play but it's not they are charging you for the game, they are charging you every month and they are nickle and diming you with micro transactions.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Some of that is speculation. Only time will tell if they're going to be continuously nickel and diming.

I see the Imperial Edition as something standard to the industry. There is a race included, but until this announcement, the game was without it. The rings aren't the only items in the game that are going to have experience gain boost. The mount isn't something you get at creation, you still have to get mount training at the appropriate level. The pet is of no value.

There is no advantage to having the extra race. When it comes to PvE, I always feel that you're not competing with others. So what if someone is levelling faster than me, I'm going at my own pace and enjoyment.

6. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

We still have no idea if the imperial race can be unlocked through some other way in game. It may sound like a huge advantage but it is not as substantial as it may sound at first, especially if it can be unlocked as a reward for in game activities. Everything else in the imperial edition, with the exception perhaps of the mini vanity pet, is already in the game and can be purchased by anyone regardless of whether they have the imperial edition.

It may give you a slight advantage in the early stage of the game but by mid-end game it will count for nothing.

7. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I am pretty sure that the rings will end up getting replaced by something else pretty quick just for the buffs to power or defense.

8. Thunderfire

Thunderfire Just Joined

Thanks Thymos...tis good to be here!

I have gotten the collectors edition of several games ( I mean, that's really what we're talking about here ) and most of the time anything of benefit in the game is offered in some other way to everyone else, It's more about the item being unique to the people who get that edition than actually giving someone a gaming advantage...other than the useless vanity items i.e. pets

Like we are going to give everyone who buys the collectors edition the glowy green +25 light saber of death, everyone else gets a gnarled stick ( with the same stats ) - I could see it going something like that. Either way I am stoked about being in a social game again and look forward to being able to chat away with you all while harvesting my 4,837,109,396th herb or whatever

9. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Welcome to TOG!

10. razalom

razalom Well-Known Member

I am happy to pay $15 a month as long as the game is good enough. I personally dislike the F2P model on MMO's as in general you still need to play $$ anyway to get the most out of the games. With a pay to play model everyone is in the same boat so to speak.

11. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

I must admit, I feel a little dirty paying the Aussie price for the base game, what a ripoff.

I don't have any issues with the sub as that's standard, but paying a higher price for a digital game based purely off geographic region is just wrong.

12. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

^^ I agree

Paying more for a digital download due to location is just gouging.

I didn't like it back in 2011 (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...ng-robbed-cartel-post3317609.html#post3317609) and I still don't like it now.

HOWEVER - I have changed my opinion slightly in the fact that MMO's that use a subscription based model, do offer a cheap form of entertainment when compared to other options that are available to me. IE Two people going out for dinner can cost anywhere between $80 and $250 and that represents roughly four hours of entertainment.

It also seems that the ESO website has not been configured to correctly detected Aus/NZ geolocations and is offering the game purchase in Euros, in error.

Apparently they are in the process of fixing this.

13. diabolic_malice

diabolic_malice Active Member

I bought it at green men gaming for about 65 bucks (standard digital) with a voucher of course. Have fun on the beta this weekend!

14. kiwiitis

kiwiitis Well-Known Member

I can't understand the aborrance of 15$ per month good heavens it's only a coffee twice a month for me and wifey and a scone each.
    Bought it at GMG for 79.06$NZ

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  15. Canberra

Canberra Active Member

bought my imperial edition at getgames.com for US$69.00. my other option was paying $95 for being in Australia.

16. Avonus

Avonus Active Member

I'm just a bit annoyed that they want to charge me a sub it would appear in Euro's when i'm not part of Europe.

Hell New Zealand is about as far away from Europe as you can get.

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Black Desert Online Captain

I sent them an email about being charged Euros from Australia. They said they were trying to fix the issue.

Because we're further away from Europe than the Yanks are... and we have our own currency. Unless they thought Austria = Australia.

18. Vladimere

Vladimere Retired Captain

I'm actually fairly lucky, someone gave me a tip on a place where I could buy the Imperial Edition for £40 (US $66, 48 Euros). So I bought 2, one for Mrs Vlad and I. All I had to do was use a proxy to make it think I was in a different country so that I could place the order and whammo ! :)