Over the Horizon

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Zhul, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

The debacle that has come with EI taking possession of Horizons from Tulga has finally pushed me to my limit. It has been no secret that I have disliked the direction things have taken with EI’s acquisition of Horizons. The billing situation has been absolutely intolerable, especially since people are not even able to cancel their subscriptions with the current setup. Because of this I have been forced into canceling the card I use for online gaming.

The situation with the Horizons community has also taken a turn for the worse. After the previous moderation lockdown, people that criticized EI were openly flamed or had their posts altered or deleted by the forum’s volunteer moderators. One community member, in order to make sure his account was banned (and thus no longer billed) sent a threatening PM to one of the volunteer message board moderators (it basically said, "I hope you die a horrible death."). While this was an act of desperation on the part of the subscriber because they wanted out - the method used was completely uncalled for. In lieu of the threat, EI has once again locked the forums. Some people that have been outspoken against EI have discovered that their forum accounts have been banned with no explanation given.

Therefore, with the community tearing itself apart, forum moderators running out of control, and my being forced to cancel my credit card (to be absolutely certain I am not fraudulently billed by a group of shysters masquerading as a gaming company) I have had enough and am washing my hands at the whole thing. I have decided not to reenter the world of Istaria (active account or not) and to anyone from the Order of the Black Shadow that visits the forums, I apologize for not saying goodbye to you in-game.

Since I am in the process of buying a house and moving, I have decided to take a brief break from the MMO scene. I will be playing some of my poor, neglected single-player or limited multiplayer games until I am moved in and all set up (which will be sometime in September). For those interested, the games I will be playing are: Civilization IV, Rome: Total War (and the Barbarian Invasion expansion), Pirates!, Star Wars Battlefront, and Call of Duty.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  2. Sente

Sente Active Member

Sorry to hear it taken such an ugly turn.

A break can be good at such times, in particular considering important real life events going on. Even if you are not playing, you always have the forums here to pop into ;)

3. kiwiitis

kiwiitis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on the latest Zhul....Goes and rechecks visa!

4. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

What a nasty turn of events. This must be horrifying for the developers of Horizon, seeing all their work being used in such a way.

Anyways... Civ4 4tw! :grin:

5. Ingo

Ingo Well-Known Member

Sure ain't looking good. My one year sub doesn't run out until Jan 2007, but I've set reminders to check on the credit card situation In Dec to see if I need to cancel that card.

Which is all unfortunate since I've been playing more Horizons as it has almost no impact on my RSI problems.

Meh. It may be time to load up Baldur's gate and try to run it naked or something.

6. Laquette

Laquette Well-Known Member

Well, I'm willing to take a look at it. Who knows? Maybe EI can pull their head out of their butts and turn it around.

What server/shard/zone are we all on?

7. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

Ijs and I were on Order, a few other folks were on Chaos. However, I have to advocate that you do not play this game! Your financial information is not safe with EI! Do not even try the 14 day free trial, because you still have to enter your financial information. IF (and only if) this clears up and Horizons is still running, then you might want to consider trying it out.

Honestly, unless someone buys it from EI there's no way in hell I will go back. EI is commiting a federal crime by not allowing users to cancel their subscriptions - and they have taken extensive measures toward strangling the community uprising it has caused.

You can find more information (a LOT of reading) here:
    Discussion on EI's federal crimes.
    Discussion on silencing of the community.
    GU Comics issues a consumer warning.
    GU Comics speaks for an outraged community.

8. FrankBuck

FrankBuck Just Joined

I never thought I would say this, but the last 14 days has made me very happy that I played on Unity.
    GN has had loads of problems with Unity, but never anything remotely as abyssal as EII's billing problems. With GN we could at least cancel our subscription when we wanted.

I fear that Horizon, which is a great game, has no future. I really do not think that EII has the skill to manage this game, and it will slowly (or quick if they continue as they have started) die out.

9. Laquette

Well ok then, Zhul. I'll just be staying away from these people. :D

Just looking for a fun MMORPG that isn't WoW or EQ2, atm. Thanks for the info 'bout Horizons.

10. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

Is there no way to join and sign up with the EU server?

11. Ijs

Ijs Active Member

Good luck with that!
    Picture two trains on the track, on a collision course, and they don't know how to use the brakes. One is frantically reading the manual, and the other is screaming "I'm not stopping until you repair my damn engine and fix the stupid brakes!!!"

:eek:

I think you can still sign up for the Unity server, they are billed by a separate company.

However.... that particular company had major issues with Horizons owner Tulga Games before the EI Interactive buyout. From what I've read, the Euro server has not been patched or updated for the past few months. For whatever reason, it seems GN/Digital Brothers stopped paying Tulga a while back. (Some speculate GN heard rumours of an impending sale, which would have been around E3 and decided to stop paying Tulga.... Or Tulga stopped sending patches/updates, knowing they were selling, which prompted non-payments from GN.... or something else. Bleh, whatever... it's ugly).

Basically, EI Interactive, as of last week, had NOT cut a deal with Horizons' Euro distributor GN/Digital Brothers (yet). EI made a proprosal and are waiting for a response, according to the last info.

So if you sign up for the 2-week American trial, you're locked in indefinitely (and paying via credit card after 2 weeks!) until they fix the cancellation bug. If you sign up for the Euro server, you're getting an upatched game.

(On the bright side, the American version probably won't be patched for several months either, so really, no loss playing on the Euro server!)

EI should be able to resolve both scenarios eventually, but Zhul's advice stands. You are better off waiting for things to settle down. That could be a few weeks or more.

I've been trying to cancel for the past week. They've got until the 29th before it becomes a major hassle for me.

In the meantime, I'm digging into some popcorn waiting for the train wreck. :D

12. Paksenarion

Paksenarion Retired Captain

yer all nutz ... jump! jump! before it goes over the bridge railing!

13. Laquette

Has the train crashed yet?

14. Ijs

Ijs Active Member

Lol, no not yet. It's a slow moving train! :)

Actually, I think they're working very hard to fix things. I've been dropping by the forums, and you can tell they are heading in the right direction. It just seems to be sloooow. Mabye too slow, imo.

The billing issue is still being worked on, but you can at least cancel now. You have to give them your account name, and they can cancel it manually. I just got word a coupld days ago that my account had been successfully cancelled. That's a step forward!

If it looks like a game you want to try, jump in!

15. Laquette

I'm thinking of trying it for 14 days. I installed the game last night, but something gave me pause. I can't register on the community forums. Is this because I don't have an active account yet? I don't really know if I feel comfortable signing up for something I won't be able to fully use. If I have to be a 'paying member', I can understand that. (Cuts down on trolls and ex-players flaming and stuff).

Still, I've read the boards (I can surf 'em at least) and the community has me intrigued. Seems to be some solid and friendly players. Enough to make me seriously consider taking the plunge to play.

Last question...which server and character/race should I start with, just to get my feet wet? I don't mind re rolling, but I want to see and do a lot in my free 14 days.

16. Ijs

Ijs Active Member

They did have problems with ex-players and soon-to-be ex-players. Closing the forums to only paying members was something they said they wanted to do. I guess they did it.

All I can recommend for class/race is try a dragon, and try a biped. The dragon's are fairly unique in MMOs (make sure dragon chat channel is up). I bet 90% of the player base has a dragon main or alt.

HZ bipeds are standard fantasy fare, except you need to multi-class. Really need to. A lot.... for a laugh, try making a pixie for a few levels, then make a half-giant. The difference in perspective is noticeable.

Otherwise, it really doesn't matter much for biped race. By the time you max out your 4-5 different classes, just about any race has its benefits. (That was a dev's recommendation when asked in-game for advice... choose whatever one you like).

Good luck with it.

As for Order or Chaos, flip a coin. I haven't heard one server is better than the other.