Planetside 2, who is starting the outfit?

Discussion in 'Planetside 2 (Public)' started by ColRipper, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Sparkles Staff Member Moderator -= BRONZE =-

I s'pose I can't really laugh too hard. I read that days ago and it only just clicked :D

2. Regulater

Regulater Well-Known Member

ill be checkin it out

3. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

The game is architected to be much more ping-tolerant than the likes of smaller-map FPS games (counterstrike etc), so having a slightly higher latency is somewhat less of an issue.

Also, I picked up my priority beta key out at E3 this year, so I'm down with it ;) (NC ftw!)

4. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

I have a couple of questions for you Planetside 1 vets.

1. Did TOG only play NC or did TOG also have people playing TR and VS? I ask of course because I am keen on the VS for PS2.
    2. If there were multiple groups, were they all on the same server so that toggers could shoot each other, or was each separate TOG faction in a different server?

5. Shrubbo

I don't know Horror, wasn't in TOG then. There will have to be multiple groups as I am not playing no barney mate and you don't want to play smurfs and some want to be those bloody elmos :D

I Wouldn't worry about shooting each other on whatever server. The game is so large even running into each other in the same fight you may not even notice. Remember you are fighting on a continent (64 square kilometers) on a planet (covered with continents eventually) with claimed up to 2000 people per continent.

You need to put aside all notions of combat you may have from your usual FPS games like BF3 etc, PS1 made them look insignificant. PS2 promises to make PS1 look insignificant. It is a persistent war on a planet, a huge war!

BTW this is a good video for anyone that doesn't know about Planetside or wants to refresh a bit on Planetside 2. Somethings are out of date but still a recommended watch.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  6. ColRipper

ColRipper Retired Advisor

You have to remember, Planetside was, I think, the first MMO TOG ever got into, I believe prior to that they only played BF1942 and counterstrike. TOG was teeny at the time too, and there were almost no people outside of Australia. So when they started PS, it was like 15 guys, who had all been squading on the same BF servers, and they all picked NC and that was it. I am sure this time there will be multiple outfits running (although we all know the real TOG will be playing NC :p )

[edit] the Gecko better stay though :p

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  7. Shrubbo

ppphhhht Like there is any other faction worth playing ripper :D

What is this Gecko thing? I was not here at the time.

8. ColRipper

ColRipper Retired Advisor

I wasn't there at the begining, but my understanding is there were only a limited number of choices for outfit logos, and we chose a gecko. I don't know the reason they chose that specific one though, Fox or Father would probably know though.

9. Shrubbo

Ahhhh that's right, it has been a long time for me.

10. FRIENDLYUNIT

FRIENDLYUNIT Well-Known Member

Soooo.... kinda what I'm getting here is that "TOG" should probably have a split presence in PS2?

It could get quite fragmented - empire (nc/vs/tr) x region (aus(Oceania)/na/eu) = 9 potential. Suggest we dont do that.

Do we want to split over 2 or 3, with a match of one primary timezone and a (unique) empire?

11. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

Well, there are no Oceanic servers. There will be EU and US servers.

It is all going to depend on how many players are interested come launch day. There will be a lot more buzz once the game gets into open beta. If only a couple of dozen people are keen then chances are all the TOG gaming would happen in one timezone and faction. Its too early to tell right now I think.

If there is no VS TOG group and the Vanu end up being as much to my liking as I expect them to be then I will be very tempted to join the VS on the server the TOG NC group is in. Just for the occasional chance that I will come across another togger, even if its at the other end of my crosshairs... :cool:

12. Shrubbo

My primary will be NC but I will play other servers from time to time to experience the other factions. Just for... err... tactical purposes only tho.. yeah.. that sounds good :D

13. Derf

Derf Retired Advisor

TOG was a NC outfit ,when you see the vids and they talk about being NC or TR or barney,thats what planetside did to you . It wasn't like other game where you played one side or the other .NC for life........ rolling with a platoon of 30 on TS ,in an army of 500 with other outfits [legion of the dammed ,hoard ect ] that become like brothers night after night.
    It was a game played over time not rounds,so you got to know your mates standing by you as you defended the tec plant for a couple of hours ,then to roll amour with driver and gunner to fight back
    most had alts but only low level cos they ended up as grease in the tracks of a vanguard

GO THE GECKO

14. Shrubbo

This is interesting.....

15. Shrubbo

16. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

The game looks gorgeous. There even seems to be cloud shadow effects in the game. Unfortunately that night is nowhere near dark enough. There will be no point to using headlights on vehicles other than to broadcast your position to enemies.

Its nice to know there are obsolete vehicles in the game as well. That poor tank looked so clumsy and slow, almost like it could barely navigate the little bumps in terrain. I feel sorry for the poor players that have to drive that bucket. ;)

17. Shrubbo

18. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member

Been playing a little Tribes:Ascend to whet my appetite- I'm really ready for this (now if I just get in beta).

19. Shrubbo

The stream is crap but if you are like me you will take anything, 35 minutes of studio game play.

Atrayo likes this.
  20. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

I am half way through it now. It looks fantastic, even though Higby is lacking any sort of skill. :p

I am just way too excited for this game.