Play Of The Game

Discussion in 'Overwatch (Public)' started by Dr. Worm, May 29, 2016.

1. Dr. Worm

Dr. Worm Active Member

Reaper & Mercy Combo

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

To me, Play of the Game seems broken. All it does is highlight a multi-kill and not any actual plays that may have helped secure a victory.

I played in a few games where the PotG was all of a two kill streak. Not what I would consider a PotG, really.

I suspect Blizzard will change it somehow in the future as more players get smart about preventing or avoiding ult multi-kills.

Besides... http://www.zam.com/article/579/a-list-of-scenarios-overwatch-would-consider-plays-of-the-game

3. lunawisp

lunawisp Active Member

UK, Bletchley - home of the codebreakers!
    I hope they change it. Just basing it on a multi kill does nothing for the support characters.

4. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

5. Zeigfried

Zeigfried Active Member

I'm not sure why people get so angry about it lol

6. Ares.osx

Ares.osx Active Member

I've actually being giving this a bit of thought lately when I'm on the can (ya know, the best place to do some REAL thinking).

Their formula could use some adjusting for how it handles checkpoint timing weightings. From what I can gather they allocate points to a thirty second block for each kill / rez, weight the scores based on the difficulty of each kill (this has been confirmed by a dev) and also weight the scores based on proximity to an objective.

What I think they need to do is increase the weighting for plays that occur closer to the end of an objective / checkpoint roundtime (so 1 second left on the clock scores better than a play with 10 seconds on the clock). They also need to add points for assisted kills for the support characters, so Mercy does a rez and that person she rezzed 10 seconds before round end goes and gets a multi-kill, that's really her round with that clutch play. Would be cool though if it could change view / perspective to the other player after she rezzes so you can view the entire scenario and context of why it scored the play of the game.

Another thing that should be scored is how many abilities were used within that play, it could give an indication as to the difficulty of the play. For example a Reaper gets a kill, wraith walks around the place to avoid death, allowing his teammates to flank then teleports back into the fray to get another kill - effectively shutting down the actions of the opposing team. I haven't spent enough time on the crapper to think this one through yet - maybe later.

In the end, the devs have prioritised "cool" over "impact importance" when selecting the play of the game (this also has been confirmed by a dev in the same article they confirmed their kill difficulty weighting).

7. Shadowkiss

Shadowkiss Active Member

I've had a play of the game with a three player res and kill when capturing the point. So there is some sort of weighting to support but it is heavily skewed towards the multi kill.

Or perhaps it was just a dream...

8. Vixen

Vixen Retired Captain

Have to say when played the beta saw a few Healers get PotG. Mostly Mercy with some multi res.

Yes it is biased atm, but honestly, you're usually having too much fun to notice, and when you do get that PotG you're all the more excited for it :)

9. Zeigfried

Zeigfried Active Member

I like it! I'm sure it will get better and better as the game goes on.

10. iHale

iHale Overwatch Captain

If the current PTOG is the baseline, its a great starting point. Blizz will improve it moving forward, i do find it hilarious when you see Torbrojn's PTOG's a huge chunk of them is staring at a wall or running back after dying LOL.

If seen quiet a few Mercy PTOG's, probably less for the rest of the healers, unless its a lucio bounce 4 people off a cliff situation :). The tanks comes down entirely to how they are played, lots of Reinhart play of the games with his stun, less of winston and zayra then any other tank. BUt as mentioned its definitely tied to kills and multi-kills.

I think their wording of the event slightly offsets the basis of the calculations. Its more like the "highlight" of the game, as opposed to the "play" of the game. As you can see when you leave a match you will have personal highlights for that match that weren't displayed.

11. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

It is possible for Torbjorn to get POTG without his turret after all :p

12. cromag

cromag Well-Known Member

13. sTeeL_AU

sTeeL_AU Active Member

Solid use of the Q button.

14. sTeeL_AU

sTeeL_AU Active Member

I play Zarya a lot and think I had about 4 or 5 POTG in a row the other night. Shes actually really easy to get POTG with Zarya's ult.

15. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

Two back to back POTG, I was most stoke getting my first quintuple kill on Ilios :)

16. Foxman

Foxman in the hen house Staff Member Moderator

Shit man, those are some awesome moments.

17. Xukisy

Xukisy World of Warcraft Leader -= SILVER Patreon =-

My 5 for with Junkrat Tire. It was PoTG but didn't have OBS recording at the time.