[TOG] Player from India can't access forums.

Discussion in 'Contact TOG' started by Saelwise, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Saelwise

Saelwise Lord of the Rings Online Officer

Hello all, I've been trying to access the forums / website for sometime now and it seems that I just can't get it to open . I'm just checking to see if its a problem on my end or if there's something that can be done to fix the issue. I can access the website / forums from a proxy server. I cannot using the original domain name. I do reside in India and have had problems on certain websites before. Not sure if I was to post this here so if there is another section or link to make the above request I would be more than happy to do that . Thanks Saelwise

2. BoneInspector

BoneInspector Brains Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Hello Saelwise,

I've copied the post for you below. Admins do try to tell everyone about this stuff and a quick search under announcements shows the problem.

Currently we have only banned around 2.72 Billion people (yes that number is correct).

For the last week we have been fighting a losing battle with a dedicated group of spammers who have been targeting Australian forums. TOG was not the only target, as exactly the same spam has been landing on other popular forums based here.

In the last 4 weeks we have had around 500 threads/posts created by the same group of spammers. We have been banning IP blocks, but they just keep on using alternative blocks in India, there were multiple accounts being set up per day to get around our blocks.

Whole forums were getting the first page swamped by spam threads - probably as a retaliation on banning their account (this is a common reaction).

In the hundreds of thousands of IP addresses that were blocked before taking the decision to block the entire range not a single legitimate TOGger was identified.

Eventually the decision became one that if we were to maintain the functionality of the forums with the current staff we had only one choice.

There is no authority in India that we can use to block the misuse of the internet by these individuals, its a bit like the windows scams that are based from there.

So we took the only viable approach so that the majority of TOGgers could continue to enjoy the site.

3. Saelwise

Saelwise Lord of the Rings Online Officer

I was afraid as much. Being a person who works within the IT field I can understand the decision taken. Nonetheless I can still access the website from a proxy server so that works I guess.

Thanks again
    Saelwise

ReaperSmurf, 2_islands and C4 like this.
  4. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

Thanks for being understanding.