New Releases Portal 2 Map & Workshop Users List

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by click, May 10, 2012.

1. click

click Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. click

click Well-Known Member

Here are two I have made.
    Both maps are made in hammer before the new editor was released.

[​IMG]

SP_Insulated
    700+ downloads

[​IMG]

SP_Level_25
    600+ downloads

Enjoy

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  3. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

5 maps available now, check out my Prison Escape map :D

steamcommunity.com/id/MadMaxToo/myworkshopfiles?appid=620

The link need to be pasted into the steam workshop to see them. Then subscribe to them, then go to your queue in portal 2, and it gets downloaded. Might require a portal 2 restart between subscribing and appearing in your queue in the game.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
    click likes this.
  4. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

Just Played Max's 3rd map...Very nice. Links work if you are already logged into steam via web browser. Then just "sub" as Max said

5. click

click Well-Known Member

Can't wait to get home after holidays and try everyones new maps.

6. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Cheers Mixa, I can't believe how easy it is to make a map now. Of course it means it is easy to make bad or overly simplistic maps, and if everyone publishes these it may be harder to find the good ones. I think there is a voting system in place to help sort the rubbish from the good maps.

With hammer it would have taken me a year to learn and have a map completed, if I had the patience that is. 3 maps in a matter of a couple of hours!

Having a TOG community to test stuff out first and get the thumbs up to release it more widely might work.

Is co-op map making a possibility yet, from this editor? It didn't appear to have anything noticeably geared toward co-op.

Anyone got a link to the editor docs?

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. Nikolaf

Nikolaf Active Member

8. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

It's a shame it shows a picture of the map, and lists all the things you use - you can't surprise people! :(

I couldn't find any of Mad Max's stuff... maybe it's just me? Even logged in, the links say the content was removed. I then tried looking at the workshop profile by using the same url Nikolaf posted, but using Mad-Max's steam name, found the profile, and I can "follow" but but it says there are no files..... are they set to friends only maybe?

Will test yours out this afternoon Nikolaf :) (I'm going to wait until I see other people's before I let anyone see mine, in case the end up being embarrassing :D)

9. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

I had to no content error too. I made sure I was logged into steam on chrome, came back and clicked his 3rd link and it worked. Max has it set to friends only however apparently even if flagged friends any one with the link can access it.

Be aware of that if posting links to this thread as its Public.

10. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

With regard to the image you see of the map (which means surprises are seen), I think that at the moment you publish your map it takes the viewpoint you have of it in the editor, so set up the view of the map, before you publish.

Don't worry how good or bad it is in our group. Think of us as crash test chamber dummies. If we enjoyed it then make it more widely available, after fixing anything from feedback.

11. click

click Well-Known Member

Also if people want to make a few tweaks to their maps in hammer I can help.
    I think most people are just using the editor as a ideas tool then tweaking/converting everything in hammer.

12. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Thanks click, as I was making them I remember thinking, oh I wish I could add this or that from the game.

13. click

click Well-Known Member

Also the way the new editor draws and places things into the world is a bit out of whack.
    Can't wait to get my hands on it and have a go. Couple more days and I will be home.
    Sick off just reading/watching things about it.

14. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

yup, I noticed that. I was thinking you could probably also make a fake wall in one direction to disguise the level behind it.

15. Nikolaf

Nikolaf Active Member

Just played your Prison Escape map MadMax. I never actually finished it but I did make a attempt. That was a tough map. Is this even possible to finish? I found some switches that I never was able to figure out how to get to them. There is also a section I found that I didn't see a place to get out of. Maybe add a deadly goo there. I didn't jump down for that reason because I was afraid of getting stuck. It was back by your exit door if you know what I'm talking about. I may try your map again later.

16. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Hi Nikolaf, yes my map is finishable in about 5 minutes or less if you know what to do.

In fact there is also an easier way to finish it, as I left a surprise cube around as well. You need 3 cubes to complete it, but there are 4 about..

The main problem is that it is difficult to see the portalable surfaces that you have to utilise, but I can assure you they exist.

I might attempt to make it a little more obvious.
    In one case there is only a small viewpoint to the portalable surface, and even then you have to stand on the cube you should have, to point at it. The surfaces you need to point at Nikolaf are through the upper concourse doorway, near the ceiling of the stairwell area, which you can see from that low level prison ward, through the grate, but as mentioned above you need to have gotten the cube a few cells away and stand on it, then portal out of there with it.

I tried your maps too Nikolaf, very good, enjoyed them.

I have a rather different gameplay idea I haven't seen before, and I am keen to try out tonight.

Be aware that the editor has a finite limit of objects in the map, and if you go over it, it won't publish the map, as Obsi found out yesterday. Obsi is not one to do things on a small scale lol!

'TOG | Click' do you think that Hammer would have the same limit as this editor? I was wondering if someone had this problem and did not want to compromise it, would they be able to get you to do some magic in Hammer to make it publishable?

I am finding that if you have too many puzzles without enough direction it clutters your mind too much and quickly becomes more annoying than fun, and you spend too much time wandering aimlessly.

P.S. I created a TOG Collection late last night, but haven't sussed out how to use it yet.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  17. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

I blame Minecraft :)

18. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

yeah I found that place, by jumping down to it :D but by then it was 1am, so I thought I'd best go to bed. I definitely needed that spoiler, as I couldn't figure out what to do next.

It would be nice if it told you what the limit was, I went to rebuilt it to see how it was going (and waited a while for it to start building) then it told me it couldn't build the level because there were too many items, so I removed some, tried again - still too many. After the 3rd try, I managed to get it down enough to build it (which is a shame, as I liked some of the puzzles I had). I'm not sure if it counts lights and glass/mesh walls in that or only the other stuff.

heh

I have 2 maps done:
    Steam Workshop :: Test Chamber 1
    Steam Workshop :: The Temple
    (the first is set to friends only, the second is public)

19. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

With my testing of a hopefully fun concept I'm playing with, I created a huge room, and despite not having that many objects in it yet, it is pretty slow to build and start playing, so room size is definitely partly to blame for sluggishness. So my tip would be to keep the room to the smallest you possibly can to hold the elements required.

I will check out your temple map soon Obsi, what a shock Obsi building something called Temple lol.

20. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

lol, yes that temple map was taking forever to build, so I had to reduce that in size as well as in the amount of items in it :)

Though while it had MASSIVE lag while building it (as in sometimes clicking an item to change it wouldn't actually even register, it was very frustrating), in actual gameplay it seems no different to a small level - I haven't noticed any lag. So that's a good thing.

There is also a limit in the size it can be on the horizontal plane, (only about 26 or so blocks wide I think) but you can go much higher/deeper.