PS Cloud services

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Reoh, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Cadder likes this.
  2. DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor Retired Captain

This one might have been a good candidate for the "What THE!?" thread... or a "Why THE!?".

3. zero

zero Active Member

I don't get the whole cloud computing thing. Fair enough it may be easily done with applications and things, but wouldn't we need insanely huge bandwidth to start streaming AAA titles to your home PC/console? Or maybe that will only be a problem for us poor buggers here in Australia :)

4. George

George Retired Captain

Well i've read it...........that's a lie, i've actually read it twice. Could someone explain or do i have to read it a third time?

5. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff the whole Onlive thing is an interesting one could be another revolution in gaming though i have my doubts.

6. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Ahh ... umm ... huh ... nope I am still clueless. What are they trying to achieve?

Whats onlive gaming and what does it have to do with clouds?

7. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

PM: read this. It explains the basics in broad terms.
    Good find, Reoh.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  8. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Thanks for that Cadder ... great idea ... won't work in Australia though unless the servers are local.

If they do get it of the ground, the ISP that makes it its own will dominate the market I think.

Judging by how long it takes to download most things from the PSN, they will need to to some serious changes to the way data is delivered to the PS3.

If all games are run off servers it could be a two edged sword. Sure you eliminate piracy, but also retail outlets in one hit. Add to this the possibility of a select few dominating pricing, distribution and servicing and you could end up with a negative playing experience.

Although, think outside the square and an organization like TOG could truly have a 25 years + only gaming experience if it could found / fund its own cloud servers.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. Bikkies

Bikkies Well-Known Member

I love cloud for keeping my settings in sync(favourites, passwords, game key bindings) between multiple computers as for hardware i don't see it working in Oz unless local like others have said.

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Yeah, for this to work in Australia you'd need a major ISP to run it. But if someone like Internode offered to build a data wearhouse and offer unmetered content for their customers I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

While streming 720p content across the internet might sound like a massive bandwidth hog I believe they're also using some hardcore crazy new compression systems to streamline it all.

I also caught a youtube podcast from a few guys who tried it out at GDC09 and their first thoughts were "no way this can not feel laggy" but after playing they admited that they couldn't tell the difference between that and playing on a local console. Although I believe for GCD the datacentre for their onlive demo was only about 60 clicks away, but still, that's a damn impressive demo for this kind of technology.

It has some seriously headspiny potential. If it worked and was avaliable in Australia I'd sell my PC and buy a desktop Mac :).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  11. zero

zero Active Member

Amen to that.

The video of maxed-out Crysis running on the old Dell notebook was especially cool. I think they say that there is only a 1ms delay in the video encoding process. If Mr. Rudd's broadband infrastructure actually gets rolled out this will definately be doable here in Australia :D