PS3 games

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by anxiousgeek, Jun 29, 2014.

1. anxiousgeek

anxiousgeek Just Joined

So I bought my mates Xbox 360 last year and I'm by no means bored yet, or running out of games to play, but with the new consoles out the price of a PS3 starts to come down until eventually even I can afford one. So I'm wondering what PS3 games there are that you can't get on the xbox 360. I know Ni No Kuni is one I would like, and that would make my wife happy too, but I really don't know what else is out there that is PS3 only.

I'm thinking RPGs, and platformers, and quirky stuff and strategy and anything people would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Uncharted trilogy is pretty fantastic.

Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing SRPG that a lot of people seem to miss.

Metal Gear Solid 4 and the rest of the series for that matter, I think there's a legacy collection with 1 - 4 and Peace Walker now.

Dragon's Crown is amazing fun for co-op play, not many games seem to offer local co-op these days either.

Yakuza 3 + 4 I thoroughly enjoyed. Dead Souls was ok too.

Folklore is an underrated gem, it's a pretty unique RPG with monster catching elements.

Demon's Souls of course, if you're hardcore enough :p

Heavy Rain I really enjoyed for 1 playthrough but as it relies heavily on a plot twist it's not really replayable once you know what happens.

Little Big Planet games are pretty popular but I didn't like the floaty controls, a lot of people do though and both games have an insane amount of community made content so you can play it forever. Has co-op too which it really makes use of with some areas requiring 2 players to access.

God of War 3 I loved, haven't played Ascension yet.

Both Infamous games are a lot of fun if you want some superhero open world action.

Can't remember what else off the top of my head, would have to look at my collection.

Ancient_One likes this.
  3. anxiousgeek

anxiousgeek Just Joined

That's a great list already thanks. Gonna be bookmarking this thread for future reference :)

4. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Top lop list Chief. +1 to you my friend.

For the record I will never attempt to play Dark Souls or Dark Souls II. I can't handle constant death.

5. anxiousgeek

anxiousgeek Just Joined

I think Dark Soul was free with GWG last month. I wasn't interested. I don't think I could take that much stress....

6. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

The most cursed sports city in the US: Buffalo, NY
    I'll add a few more from my collection that I've enjoyed, and expand a bit more on some of the others mentioned here:

Final Fantasy XIII - as much hate as it gets (and much of it is well-deserved), it isn't a half bad game (but it isn't half great either). Visually very pretty, the story is rather convoluted, and half the characters will firmly get on your nerves from the get-go. This might have seen more positive reception if it didn't have the Final Fantasy name and lofty aspirations that come with it.

God of War 3 - an excellent conclusion to the story put forth in GoW2. Not a huge visual leap over the PS2 games, but entertaining nonetheless. I did not find it as difficult as the first two. Stay away from GoW: Ascension. The over-the-shoulder perspective in that game is severely limiting, some of the controls have changed making the game less intuitive, and overall seems to suffer from the overuse of blacks and muddy browns that plague the 7th gen consoles.

Disgaea 3 & 4 - if you've played the Disgaea games, then these are no-brainers. If you haven't, the Disgaea games are quirky SRPGs with a very lighthearted and humorous tone to them, though they can be a bit repetitive in the series. I haven't played far in either, and I can't recommend one more than the other - both are fun games.

Transformers War for Cybertron & Fall of Cybertron - two games that I did not go into with high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. If you are a fan of the original G1 Transformers, then these are the games for you. These games are what the Michael Bay atrocities they call movies wish they could be. A run & gun 3rd person shooter that was a blast to play, and has an excellent storyline that stays pretty true to the G1 continuity. Between the two, Fall of Cybertron is a bit better, but if you play both, play War for Cybertron first as some of the story carries over to the second game.

Eternal Sonata - possibly one of the most beautiful games on the 7th gen consoles. The story is an interesting premise (a world created in Chopin's mind right before he dies), but it has some of the best music in any 7th gen game to to with its gorgeous visuals. A nice blend between turn-based and action RPG - and that is coming from a guy who hates action RPGs.

Little Big Planet 1 & 2 - a must-have for any PS3 library. The levels hark back to old-school side-scrolling platforming, along with a quirky atmosphere and flavor you won't see in other games. If you're feeling creative, you can build your own levels. If you're not feeling creative, you can play levels that others have made. Both games are good, but if you have to pick one, get the sequel over the original.

I know you mentioned that you want Ni No Kuni, and while it is a very pretty game, it was a huge disappointment for me. Once I got past the Miyazaki-ness of it, I realized that the game was not very well-executed from a gameplay standpoint. It is a bad blend of turn-based RPG and action RPG. In addition, the AI that fights with you is less than useless. It is a pity, because I really, REALLY wanted to like this game, but every time I fire it up, within the first couple of battles, I'm instantly turned off by it.

7. anxiousgeek

anxiousgeek Just Joined

I really enjoyed Eternal Sonata, but it's a slow game and my nephew wiped the save and well, I've not gotten round to playing it again and redoing it all again.