PS4: PS4 Pro - Are You Buying One

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by Ancient_One, Sep 9, 2016.

?

Buying a PS4 Pro?

1. Take my money

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Saving for the future

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I may be swayed

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Are you kidding

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

[video=youtube;SAkMz6ClL4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkMz6ClL4s[/video]

PS4 Pro

PS4 Pro: Specs, Release Date, and Price Confirmed

So I guess I'm interested in peoples feedback with regards to the purchase of the PS4 Pro.

What are people thinking.

Under-impressed?

Impressed?

Are you going to buy it or not?

2. Ancient_One

For me I would have to say yes. Not because I want to keep up with the Jones's but because that's the main enjoyment I have in life. I'm a console gamer and I like it. So much like PC gamers I feel I need to keep up with technology improvements in the field. The end result of which I will see an improvement in game play, graphics and etc. In another way I'm future proofing myself as well for the advances they will make in the gaming industry as a consequence of adopting 4K.

It's a risk really much like 3D, I went and bought a 3D TV and 4 pairs of glasses which I think I have used to view 3D all of 10 times. Now I don't have a 4K TV so 4K gaming will probably not come to me any time soon but I guess I want the extra kick this baby will have should I buy that TV and the games have 4K capability.

On a side note I'm having issues with my disc drive and hard drive space. Now i know these are not big reasons to buy a new console but I thought cost wise and the advancement in tech, why the hell not. At the very least will resolve my console issue and at the most give me a better gaming experience.

So yeah. I'm buying one.

3. Thymos

Thymos Elder Scrolls Online Officer

I say yes, not because I have a 4k display, but because I want the extra power on a 1080p display.

4. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

If you already have a PS4, then I can't see a reason to plonk down the money for a PS4 Pro. If you're thinking of jumping on this PS4 bandwagon, then it would be a great time to get a PS4 Pro.

For a thorough evisceration of the PS4 Pro, and why its not worth the money, have a listen to the latest PS I Love You XOXO:

Save your dollars for PS VR.

Be mindful that most good games are already tuned and locked to 30FPS or 60FPS on the PS4 - you won't necessarily be getting anymore frames on the PS4 Pro.

5. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

The most cursed sports city in the US: Buffalo, NY
    When it comes time for me to drop money on a PS4, I will likely do so for the pro edition. I've yet to see anything from this gen of console gaming that makes me want to buy a console though. Sequel-itis and remasters of last-gen games do nothing for me. Still waiting for some JRPG goodness, though I guess its safe to say that genre is damned near dead on consoles.

PSVR has me interested though. I'll likely bite the bullet once that is out.

6. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Exactly. You don't buy a console for the specs, you buy it for the games. For me Destiny, Uncharted and a few others have been well worth the price of admission for the original PS4. Non-exclusives still seem to a) perform better and b) cost less on PC.

Persona 5 seems to be building a bit of buzz, even if FF 15 is not :)

7. vesacre

vesacre Well-Known Member

The only real difference is 4k gaming and bigger drive space. I would rather wait for the new console due out next year :)

8. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Actually, if you don't yet have a PS4, this or a Slim is a great place to jump onboard. There are a brace of exclusive titles, like Uncharted 4, Last of Us Remastered and Bloodborne that are almost worth the price of admission on their own. In addition, you get access to console games like Destiny (which is finally starting to hit its straps and is a solid shooter) is their "best" version (with PS4 exclusive content).

If I didn't already have a PS4, then a PS4 Pro +/- PS VR later this year would be a compelling proposition.

Now if only Sony would bring their refund policy more into line with steam..... :)

9. vesacre

I already own a ps4 so to me an upgrade is pointless as rumor has it that nintendo, microsoft and playstation will have a new console around september next year.

10. Ancient_One

Can you provide any links to these rumor as I would strongly bet Sony will not release another console that close to the current PS4 Pro.

11. vesacre

There are loads of sites making predictions, now as for the ps4 pro its not really a new console as such. I did read though the microsoft scorpio will be more powerful than the ps4 pro. Predictions too that microsoft will win back a good market share.

12. Thymos

Thymos Elder Scrolls Online Officer

A good market share will barely catch MS up to Sony. Sony still will have outsold them in the life of the console.

I am also hyped for Persona 5. We have that collectors edition preordered as well as the Pro.

13. Ancient_One

I think Mass Effect Andromeda will pull a few people in as well. Might be a good title to give the new console a run for its money on.

14. vesacre

I own both the ps4 and the xbox one. Until I can afford a good 4k tv I see an upgrade to pro no benefit to me.

I'm hanging out to pickup my megadrive preorder and play some old classics again :)

15. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

You're right there mate.

I'm waiting for a good quality 4K TV at around the 40-50" mark that I could install in my office / man-cave to which I could connect my PS4 and Desktop. Not that I'm in a particular rush at the moment though - I'll just keep checking over the next year or so... might make it perfect timing for the release of Scorpio... although now that all the big XBox titles are going to be released on Windows too, that might be a bit redundant (GTX 1080 smokes PS4 Pro and Scorpio :) ).

16. vesacre

Ive been reading a little on 4k tvs and if you want full true 4k then the cheap tvs are not worth the money. You will not get the full 4k quality on a small tv compared to a large one. In other words to really benefit from 4k then you need to outlay some serious cash.

http://gizmodo.com/a-skeptics-guide-to-buying-or-not-buying-a-4k-tv-1744272556

something he said I researched elsewhere

So, the extra pixels in a 4K TV only offer better resolution if the screen is large (think 60-inches and up) or if you sit really close to the TV (think: five feet).

rubicon likes this.
  17. Ancient_One

So what your saying is it's all hype. A sales gimmick. Like 3D TV's used to be. I bought one and only used it in 3D less then 10 times in the 5 years I have had it.

18. sTeeL_AU

sTeeL_AU Active Member

I dont have a PS4 yet. I have the Xbox One Launch console which has paid for itself over in entertainment value. I have a 1080P projector which I bought for not long ago which I will not be upgrading before at least the next generation of console.

I'm on the edge leaning towards getting this console. I was underwhelmed with the ability to not have a consistent 1080P reasonable framerate games. Hopefully this alleviates that issue.

19. vesacre

There is a bit of hype going around on 4k. On the plus side of the ps4 pro is games that don't make use of 4k will run a little smoother. As for 4k games it will take a while before a good enough amount is on the market. Now as for 3d tvs I stayed well clear of it and also stayed well clear of plasma tvs too.

In my personal opinion it may be worth waiting a year or so from now if I decide to upgrade my ps4. I would still need to outlay for a large 4k tv as well to go with it. It may not take too long before the prices of large 4k tvs drop.

20. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Yeah. Having spent a bit of time in shops testing out some of the new 4k HDR TVs, these might be thing to finally make me bite the bullet and upgrade from 1080p. 3D was an absolute gimmick, but the extra resolution of 4k and colour gamut of HDR leads to some stunning stuff. 4k content is starting to appear as well, and being on NBN fibre to the home (I know, I know, you hate me) opens up the option of 4k streaming too.

6-12 month timeframe I reckon.