PS3: PSN update: Sony says private info may have been stolen!

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by King_Rocket, Apr 27, 2011.

1. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

This can't be good at all, you might want to put a hold on your cards or something. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

This just isnt acceptable at all. For a start sony should email its 75 million customers and inform them of this rather then just post it on a blog that probably have of there customers wont be aware of until they get a credit card bill for 10k or something. I really hope that sony get taken to the cleaners over this.

3. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Well i canceled my card anyway, apparently it looks like all the banks are getting calls left right and centre about it, as i said its better to be safe then sorry but sonys store wont be getting my new details.

4. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

I only found out about it due to Kotaku's facebook posts... I even went to check my e-mail account that's signed up for the PSN, and nope... no notice there. Surely it's not beyond their capabilities to send off an e-mail to all registered users.

5. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

Actually, I think if they did email everyone some people would be concerned that it was a spearphishing attempt rather than Sony trying to inform their customers. That would be my first instinct considering what happened.

6. Ulric

Ulric Administration Team Leader Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Apart from the credit card issue, it is worthwhile noting that the Passwords have been stolen. Additionally the security private question and answer have also been taken.

If you have used these anywhere else, and this information can be linked to your email address, or your private information you should consider any online accounts that use the question/answer grouping to be at risk. These details should be changed NOW.

7. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

So assuming that they now need to shut down every compromised account (after all they have no way of knowing for sure if I am the owner of the account even if I provide all the correct info), what happens to all the stuff I have purchased already?

As I was only aware of the security breach regarding my details today (assuming that my data has been out there for a week now) who is going to compensate me for any theft?

What a huge mess SONY is facing!

8. Pure Mongrel

From the PSN web site:

Note: They believe "all" PSN account have been affected. :eek:

Q.1 When did you realise the system had been intruded?

We discovered between April 17 and April 19 there was an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network.

Q.2 How did you know that the system was intruded?

We watch for any issues that may be raised with respect to security and monitor for such issues both internally and externally.

Q.3 What is the main reason to this problem? Which parts of the system were vulnerable to the intrusion?

We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation. Since this is an overall security related issue, we will not comment further on this case.

Q.4 What action did you take (are you taking)? Is there any possibility of further unauthorized access?

As soon as we learned of this issue, 1) we temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services in order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services, 2) we have also engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened, and 3) quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

Q.5 How many were affected? How many per each region? What is the latest status of PlayStation Network registered account/ operating countries.

Our investigation indicates that all PlayStation Network/ Qriocity accounts may have been affected.

Q.6 Does that mean all users’ information was compromised? Tell us more in details of what personal information leaked.

In terms of possibility, yes. We believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained, including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, it is possible that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

Q.7 Have you notified those users?

We are sending out e-mails directly to these users to their e-mail address registered on the PS Network accounts. Also, we have posted web notices, and additional necessary procedures have been followed by each region.

Q.8 Have you received reports or claims that their PSN ID information/ credit card had been used improperly?

Not at this point in time.

Q.9 I want to know if my account has been affected.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. Additionally, if you use the same user name or password for your PlayStation Network or Qriocity service account for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are back on line, we also strongly recommend that you log on to change your password.
    For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, postal mail or other scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking.

Q.10 What should I do to prevent any unauthorized use of my (credit card) personal information?

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, postal mail or other scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. Additionally, if you use the same user name or password for your PlayStation Network or Qriocity service account for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are back on line, we also strongly recommend that you log on to change your password.
    To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.

Q.11 Since when have PSN/Qriocity become unavailable and in which region?

PSN/Qriocity services have not been available since April 20 (US time) in all regions.

Q.12 How come it is taking so much time to resume the service?

We are taking the investigation seriously. We decided to keep the service down to allow us to conduct a thorough investigation and verify smooth operation of our network services.

Q.13 How serious is this? Have the hackers broken the security on PSN/Qriocity? Are you taking necessary measures to prevent such outage happening in the future?

Since this is an overall security related issue, we will not comment further on this case but we are working to restore and maintain the services, including countermeasures against future intrusions.

Q.14 When will the service resume?

We are taking the investigation seriously. We will keep the service down to allow us to conduct a thorough investigation and verify smooth operation of our network services but are working hard to resume the services as soon as we can be reasonably assured security concerns are addressed.

Q.15 Seems like SOE service was also not available/ suffering outage. Is this true? Is this due to the same reason as the PSN/Qriocity outage?

SOE's service is available although a service interruption due to an external attack did occur. A thorough investigation is ongoing.

Q.16 I want my money back (subscription fee, content) since the PSN/Qriocity was not available.

When the full services are restored and the length of the outage is known, we will assess the correct course of action.

Q.17 There seems to be some games that cannot be played even offline?

Depending on the game titles, but mainly PSN games, some may require access to PSN for trophy sync, security check, etc.

9. Rob.

Rob. Retired Captain

Is a credit card required to make a PSN account? I signed up ages ago and can't remember if I had to enter CC details or not. I've never bought anything from the store.

10. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

It wasn't when I signed up, they have my CC details cause I bought stuff.

11. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

They should not store CC detail at all IMHO.
    Once a sale is done. Thats it.

They got caught with their pants down and 77mil people are unhappy.

The fall out for them could be really bad.

12. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

I think this should be sticked, maybe even linked on the front page.

13. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

People are running scared to say the least.

PlayStation hacking scandal: police chief says contact your bank now

Read more: PlayStation Hacking: Credit Cards May Need Cancelling: NSW Police

This message indicates the amount of information the hacker has gained could lead to identity theft.

He encourages everyone effected to close their credit cards now.

14. Pure Mongrel

Already cancelled my credit card. Just waiting now to join the class action suit ;)

Seven days before notifying us that hackers had all our data is borderline criminal IMHO.

15. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

16. Rob.

Rob. Retired Captain

Just cancelled my card to be on the safe side. The girl at the bank said they've had tons of calls about this today.

Hope they catch these hacking flogs.

17. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Thankfully I haven't bought anything from the PS store in a long while and the card details they have are for an old one that has now expired but I'm still F£$%^g fuming at the breach. I doubt I will ever use the store again after this.

The first thing people need to be doing is making sure their PSN password doesn't match the password used to access the email account, if it does then get it changed with your email provider ASAP.

18. Bayland

Bayland The Doctor Staff Member Administrator Moderator

19. Pure Mongrel

I only use a card with a $500 limit just in case something like this happens.

Canceling it and getting another is not so big a deal for me at least. I would be very nervous if I had a high limit card attached to my PSN though.

20. Melmoth

Melmoth Retired Captain

"We are sending out e-mails directly to these users to their e-mail address registered on the PS Network accounts."

Really? This is the first I hear of it...

This kind of thing is why I never use my actual credit card online. I always use a temporary VISA number created through my internet bank, with a limit set by me each time. I don't know if this service is available everywhere, but it's a great service and I would encourage anyone to make use of it if you can. It's pretty much 100% protection, since no one can ever take more money from your e-card than what you've allowed them to (the only downside is if you make regular purchases, you'll have to enter new card details every time, but I actually prefer it that way).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011