PS3: PSN update: Sony says private info may have been stolen!

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by King_Rocket, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Getting Started

Sorry, I forgot what this thread was originally about.

Concerning the possible theft of personal information /CC numbers, I think everyone should take whatever level of action is dictated by your personal level of paranoia. If you're extremely paranoid, by all means, cancel everything and move across the country leaving no forwarding address. If you're unconcerned, do nothing. Point is, whatever makes you feel better about it. (Sue Sony if your really are peeved about it.)

I have been a victim of identity theft in the past, and (at least in my case) it wasn't the big ordeal that the media makes it out to be. A pain in the ass? Yeah, but not the end-of-the-world, life-shattering event the (American, can't vouch for Aussie) media says it is.

Again, this is merely my opinion on this matter, and your milage may vary. ;)

2. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

The " We are Legion " quote is from the bible and used frequently in pop culture today it refers to a group of demons "LEGION" Mark 5:9

We are many and the name of the file Anonymous would suggest it is them but maybe someone is trying to set them up or imitate .

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Same here. I'm not a heavy online game player and this has had no impact on me other then to stop me posting all my Dragon Age / Dragon Age II trophies. Platinum in one working on the other. :D

I think people should chill and just let Sony get down to the business of fixing what they need to. We will all benefit by the improvements in the end.

4. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

SONY have set a deadline of the 31/5/11 for the PSN to be back up.
    PSN back up deadline is May 31 | Entertainment | Metrowny.com
    I don't think we will see it up before then.
    That's another three weeks. I think they may need to revisit their "we're sorry for being dumb arses in regards to security" peace offerings ;)

5. Binary-Ninja

I think they are busy securing the network from further attacks ... as said previously they had info of third attack but it was fought off .. and no deadline has been set ..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20061035-260.html

Report: Sony managed to defeat new Playstation cyber attack

Late on Thursday, CNet reported via unnamed sources that online hackers were preparing to launch a new cyber attack on Sony's Playstation Network servers. Today, CNet has an update on that original story claiming, again via unnamed sources, that Sony managed to defeat the cyber attack that was planned to launch this past weekend.

In fact CNet is patting itself on the back a bit, claiming that "our publication of the group's plan may have caused Sony to secure the remaining servers this group claims it had access to, shutting off any avenues for another attack." It used Internet Relay Chat logs as proof, reporting that one of the alleged hackers wrote on IRC, "Apparently Sony saw that article because the last server that I could access is offline now...its probbaly (sic) being patched like the other servers. There goes our window."

Sony's Playstation Network has been down since April 20 after a cyber attack on the network's servers was found to have exposed the personal info from tens of millions of the network's users. The attack also affected the MMO servers from Sony Online Entertainment which have been shut down for a week now. There's still no word on when either network will come back online but Sony has promised to give the affected customers free fraud protection and free content once the servers come back online. Earlier today a Bloomberg story said that Sony was planning to fully restore the service by May 31.

However VentureBeat now reports that story was in error and that Sony made no such statement.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  6. Rob.

Rob. Retired Captain

I'm glad i'm not relying on the PSN for my online gaming fix, obviously we want Sony to get it right but it's dragging on and on..

7. RMBear

RMBear Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I have absolutely nothing to do with the interwebs at all! :D

8. Pure Mongrel

Hmmm ... might be time to start the "101 things to do with a PS3 now that you can't game online!" discussion? :eek:

Door stop and paper weight do not count ... to easy ... hmmm ... :confused:

Ok, ill start! :rolleyes:

1) As a hacker head bashing device. :mad:

Your turn ... :D

9. Ancient_One

2) As a stand alone gaming console. (no contest)

10. Pure Mongrel

If it is one thing I admire about you A1, it is your loyalty (this part is no pun intended I swear!).

If the XBL had gone down for this long and compromised my personal information, I would have started the "What do we do with our XBOX consoles now that we can't play online" thread. (This part is me being a smart arse ... although I am sure I would start such a thread! :D)

I have to admit, I am surprised by the calmness surrounding the issue. Yes I know there are people that are very unhappy and posting "Sony owes me big" and filming "I am too fat to get out of bed and have a real life so bring back the PSN so I can play CoD before I have a complete melt down" on YouTube (no I did not make this bit up! :eek:.)

Over all, especially in the main stream press, this whole event has been ... well a mostly non event, especially considering all the possible implications of the largest personal id theft in history .

I was expecting the news to be plastered with stories about suicides, mass fraud and at least one SONY company executive sepaku event.

No for the most part, the players patiently wait, the SONY techs scramble and the spin kings keep trickle feeding info about the delay.

All this brings me to the next use for an offline PS3:

3) The alter at which the faithful pray daily for the return of their beloved PSN. :D

11. Ancient_One

You have to have faith brother. All things happen for a reason.

4) The faithful who sacrific there hard earned wealth to their PSN god, shall be rewarded come judgement day.

12. Binary-Ninja

it's got a blu ray player :)

13. mindspat

mindspat Well-Known Member

I had my xbox live account compromised becuase of the Sony server hack. While it's easily argued that my own stupidity is at fault for using the same account name and password as that for Xbox Live the fact remains that people are already getting hit.

I created a thread in attempt to warn others although I probably should have just posted it here. If you're interested in reading it, here you go: http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...ctimized-psn-soe-network-breach-stupidty.html

14. Binary-Ninja

Sony Playstation Network

While Sony's last update to the public about the status of its currently shut down Playstation Network was last Tuesday, the company is apparently reaching out to Playstation Network game developers to give them their own update on the crisis. Industry Gamers obtained a memo sent by Rob Dyer, the senior vice president of publisher relations at Sony's Playstation business. The memo was apparently sent out on Wednesday.

The memo gives an overview of what happened to cause Sony to shut down the Playstation Network on April 20 due to cyber attacks that exposed tens of millions of its users' personal info. Dyer states, "I want to assure you, as a PlayStation partner, that it is Sony’s top priority to restore our network operations and see that business is returned to usual as soon as possible." It also goes over the efforts Sony has taken to beef up its online security and its effort to compensate Playstation Network owners for the downtime.

Dyer states in the memo that Sony is working with law enforcement officials to "apprehend the culprits who committed this crime against our consumers, our partners and our company." He also tells the game developers, "We will do our best to respond to all of your inquiries and we will do everything we possibly can to support you."

Meanwhile, according to a post on the NeoGAF message boards, there is evidence that at least the internal developer based Playstation Network is starting to restore its services. Is this a sign that the public network is getting close to coming back online in some form? Stay tuned.

[​IMG]

While the server downtime for Sony Online Entertainment's MMO servers hasn't gotten as much press as the Playstation Network's shut down, it has still has left a lot of MMO players in the dark since the servers were taken down on May 2. Late on Thursday, Sony Online posted its first major update on the situation on its Station web site.

The message states, "We are currently in the process of an extensive upgrade to our network to further protect your information from future attacks. It will likely be at least a few more days before we restore our services ..." However, it also gave details on how it will compensate its users, including specific deals for each of its current MMO games. All Sony Online users will receive 30 free days of online service "in addition to one day for each day the system is down." In addition, all Sony Online users will get access to the free one year identity fraud services that the Playstation Network users will receive.

• Players of individual games on Sony Online will also get specific in-game items and services:
    • DC Universe Online: Batman and Two-Face Inspired Masks and 30 Marks of Distinction
    • Free Realms: Free daily items (7 to collect)
    • Clone Wars Adventures: Count Dooku v2 Outfit
    • EverQuest: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Rare Mob Spawns and Double Faction Gains
    • EverQuest II and EverQuest II Extended: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Guild XP, Loot Bonanza, and City Festivals
    • Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: A series of Double XP events
    • Star Wars Galaxies: Bounty Hunter Statue, a miniature model of Boba Fett's ship, the Slave I
    • Magic: The Gathering - Tactics: Four of each of these spells: "Ivory Mask", "Duress" and "Angelheart Vial", plus 500 Station Cash
    • PoxNora: Limited edition Carrionling, Welcome Back 5K Gold Award Tournaments and two Draft Tournaments, plus 500 Station Cash
    In addition to the above items, lifetime subscribers for three games will also get some in-game cash:

• 20,000 coins for Free Realms
    • 7,500 Galactic Credits for Clone Wars Adventures
    • 10 Marks of Distinction for DC Universe Online
    Finally, Station Access subscribers, who can play all of Sony Online's games, will also receive an additional 500 Station Cash credits in addition to all of the above items and free play time.

15. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Well, speaking for myself only, it's not actually been an issue for me... Since I don't play online with my PS3, and I've only used the points cards to buy stuff (so they don't have my credit card details), it's not something that I feel affects me... however I've been following the situation, as whether or not it directly affects me much, I do see it as being a MASSIVE thing... and I must admit, I too am surprised that more people aren't angry and upset over it.

I can't remember what my username and password were, perhaps the same as used in some places elsewhere, but probably not anything important. I do know that I have a different Steam login, so that's a relief, as that is where I do my online gaming, and I'd hate to lose that account.

16. Pure Mongrel

I had not thought of the SONY partners till BN's post. Surely companies like EA and Activision must have lawyers at the ready over the lost revenue.

17. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

To be fair its pretty obvious that the attack was personal against Sony, i think its pretty unlikely that the credit cards will be used or the information. Seems to me they just wanted to hurt sony bad and they have got that wish by now. Its just like everything else that happens in the world though, give it a few years and peoples memories will forget it even happened. Im very principle orientated though so for the few people in the world that are like me, what we did was take out identity protection for a few pounds per month, got new CCs and will never use the PSN store again, sadly though most people moan like hell about how awful sony are etc... but as soon as the store is back up they will be putting in their new cards. As for being angry at Sony...well whats the point? The damage is done and giving yourself a heart attack by getting worked up isnt going to reverse their proffesional incompetence. Being angry at the hackers is just as bad, they are just a bunch of jobless morons with nothing better to do, at least it keeps them off the streets.

Im eager for the network to come back up only so i can remove all my details from the store, i have no interest in any free content that sony have to offer no matter how sweet a deal they come up with, its fantastic to have principles in life and to stick with them no matter what, sadly im in the minority.

Pure Mongrel likes this.
  18. Ancient_One

um......unless they give you this ability you will not be able to remove details from your account. You could probably put fake details in but not sure it will achieve anything.

19. Ancient_One

Download and install the latest Firmware 3.61 as they are about to go live on PSN.

20. Cindax

Cindax World of Warcraft Officer

When logging into the PSN you will be prompted to change your password and update your credit card details.
    Log onto the PSN to download the latest firmware 3.61
    You will not be able to log onto the PSN until you have changed your password and updated to the latest firmware version for the PS3.
    Please be aware there may be a slight delay as 100 million users try to log on to the same server.
    Also be aware that your password has already been reset, good luck guessing what it is.

;)
    Just so Im clear, the above is tongue in cheek humor except for the bit about the lag.

Last edited: May 15, 2011