Purchasing from US Steam Store

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Philosophy, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Philosophy

Philosophy Retired Division Captain

Hey all,

I'm wondering what the latest ideas are on purchasing from the US Steam Store.

I want to buy Fallout 3 New Vegas but am not keen on paying millions in the AUS store when the US Steam Store has it for about $50!

I access the US store through a VPN (Hulu plays fine) so I am definitely getting a US IP and the store comes up fine.

So far I have tried using credit cards and changing the Town/ZipCode/Country fields to US ones... (this worked for a few copies of L4D2 i bought for people).

I have also used paypal a few months ago and changing the delivery address in Paypal to an US one (matching the one I gave steam) and it worked fine then too.

Now however it checks the "home" address (the one linked to an account) with the country code and so because I don't have a US billing address on the cards I use it rejects it.

Pretty ridiculous, I hve just come back from a month in the US and couldn't buy things from the US steam store even then! I should have spent some time signing up for a bank account etc while I was there :(

USUnlocked.com have a prepaid discover card they sell for $10 which has a US billing address but they also charge fees for loading the card etc...

Anyone else got any ideas?

Failing this is there any US Toggers who would be willing to take my paypal cash and gift me the game?

Cheers

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  2. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

That's your best bet, and being intended functionality delivered by Valve, avoids all the grey area of fake addresses etc.

3. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Might want to shift this to a non-public forum. Call me paranoid but I fear having Google bots index methods to circumvent steam's regional pricing will cause said holes to be plugged up.

Snott likes this.
  4. wizen

wizen Active Member

I don't know about US Toggers, but this Canadian Togger is willing to help out.

It'd be my wife's paypal, though, as using paypal neither allows me to pay, nor makes me think it's my pal. Every time I use paypal I feel like screaming.

Send me a PM if you'd like me to gift you stuffs.

5. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

L4D2 was the last alot of ppl I know got those methods to work aswell ... it seems that Steam caught on fast

Another option is maybe something like US Mail Forwarding, International Shipping | MyUS.com ... not sure if it works well with digital items tho

Perfect for the Nautica sale on in the US atm tho X_X

6. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

Initially it WAS around $US50 on steam, forgot exactly how much, I brought it then, but after being up like that for about 6 weeks they jacked the price up to where it is now. (I guess whichever local distributor/reseller was a little slow to send off the email to head office in the US to 'fix' the AU pricing.

Anyway, another option if you don't mind the 2 week wait for the game to ship is www.ozgameshop.com - it's based in the UK but the prices are in AUD and include delivery.

I got Civ 5 from there for $AUD39.95.

Basically use Steam whenever the price is reasonable, and if you see a AAA game in the $40-$50 range when they are first listed and think you'll be interested, don't wait, buy it ASAP.

Otherwise try Ozgameshop.

zero likes this.
  7. Monsta

Monsta Squad Officer

I was able to get COD:BO via a new 'gifting' account, and my local 'proper' CC worked fine, although the purchase is showing as 'pending'.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  8. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

How do you tell the difference between the stores? Does the steam app take you to aus store and googling steam gives the us store as a link? Both say prices in usd.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  9. Thermal Ions

The Steam client app either displays the store relevant to your IP or logged in account (not sure which). If you view through your browser it would appear to initially default presumably based on IP as it's not normally logged in (but I've no direct evidence to support this). After that could be IP and/or cookie I guess.

Through your browser you can change it to another region by appending ?cc=xx to the end of the url, which will then be active when browsing the various store pages until you change it back (or possibly close the browser / clear cookies etc).

Aust Store: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=au
    US Store: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
    UK Store: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

There's others for various EU countries, but I don't know the 2 character codes off hand, and if I'm getting something gifted through Steam from overseas it's usually from the US or UK.

Always remember to reset to the Aust store using ?cc=au when done looking.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Ahhh. I see what you mean.

11. iNoob

iNoob Just Joined

Guys,

Watch out when tricking steam with a VPN.

Upon the completion of the sale it states your sale goes into pending.
    Your order can still be declined.

There is a new BUT.

A lot of people have been purchasing Black Ops this way (I even did it)

You either get through or get rejected. However a few people's credit card companies have gotten sus when you supply a fake american address. This then causes your steam account to be blocked. Yes, Blocked.

It can also become locked even when using a gifting account. As accounts associated with fraudulent acitivties get blocked too.

You can get in unblocked but there is a chance you lose your account forever.

12. Redgum

Redgum Retired Captain

Source?

13. C4

C4 Retired Captain

with the number of games on most people's steam accounts it not worth the risk, ask a friend from the US to gift it to you.

I use this site for price comparisons
    http://www.steamprices.com/au/

Like the Top 5 Ripoffs section ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  14. wizen

wizen Active Member

I'd just like to note that while my above offer still does apply, PayPal applies a fee on my wife's account of $0.50 for every $10 received that I don't feel it's fair for her and I to have to cover.

I'm more than happy to do this all sans transaction fee, out of the good of my heart, but there's still the good of my wallet that needs to be looked after. ;)

Snott and C4 like this.
  15. C4

C4 Retired Captain

nps mate the least someone could do was the cover the costs, btw thanks alot for the offer!

16. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

I may take you up on that in the future also, appreciate the offer :)

17. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

For OP's question regarding F:New Vegas...F:NV REQUIRES steamworks for DRM and achievements which means "retail" versions tie to your steam account. I Picked up F:NV for $35au free postage from ozgameshop.com a UK retailer catering to the OZ market. There's about a 10 day wait for the disc but it's tied to my account now and works fine (my son even DL'd it at his mums via my account) Also grabbed Civ5 for $39au there

18. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

I'm sure peoples will chuck in a few 'extra' bucks considering what they are saving..............I know I would

19. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Definitely. Gold coin donations at the least.

20. Thermal Ions

Exactly. Have availed myself of the assistance of a couple of TOG'ers and RPS regulars over the past year, and always chucked in an extra few bucks. Not really much on it's own (apart from an expression of appreciation), but maybe of use during one of the 'crazy' Steam sales or with a couple added together covers a cheap game.