Railworks anyone ?

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Vulcan21, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Being a cupboard rail fan, I noticed that this upgraded version of Rail Simulator is now available for purchase and download. *dons felt helt and spotting binocs* Snigger...snort !

Snowbull likes this.
  2. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I messed about with one of the early trainz. As a bit of a train head in my earlier years I found it fun.

Never heard of Railworks before, for $10 more you can get Trainz 1 2 & 3. I wonder which is the better game.

3. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Railworks for better graphics, realism and reasonable rail physics for sure. Trainz to me just felt like a toy trainset than something designed to simulate the rail experience.
    I bought it for USD24.99 (AUD31.00) as I was registered on the Rail Simulator forums prior to 01st June 2009.

4. Dalienx

Dalienx Well-Known Member

only train sim i've ever liked was the old chris sawyer thing.. transport tycoon.
    It had trucks and planes and boats as well, but the trains were king.

5. Osdor

Osdor Lord of the Rings Leader -= GOLD Patreon =-

I just downloaded Railworks 2 on Steam. Got the urge to play with my old train set, but left it in England :)

If anyone is interested in sharing info, let me know.

Snowbull likes this.
  6. Snowbull

Snowbull Retired Moderator

I've always intended to get my father into railworks, he loves trains and trainsets. his previous PC was useless but his new lappie might run it.

Thanks for reminding me.

7. RMBear

RMBear Well-Known Member

Loved that game!

Have just purchased "Cities in Motion" and had a little go. Seems a hugely updated version of TT.

8. Osdor

I was hoping to draw some anoraks/train-spotters out of the closet, but they're all staying quiet :D

I'm quite enjoying Railworks: much better than my old Hornby electric train set :p

9. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I nearly caved in and brought it but then i discovered it has no multi player.

10. granpa

granpa Well-Known Member

I quite enjoy playing it and I don't care that it doesn't have multi-player. Left my anorak and duffel coat in England along with my train spotter books :D

Pity I can't find any Aussie trains or scenarios.

11. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

I've fond memories of spending hours with my Father constructing buildings, towns, mountains, tunnels and landscape etc from scratch around our track. Took up the whole garage, much to the frustration of my Mother at times.

I just can't imagine however the game would compare. I tend to think I'd get bored of it too quickly as opposed to it bringing back more memories. Ymmv.

12. Craggles

Craggles Active Member

I got Railworks when it was released, it is the best train simulator I have played & the Trainz seeries I found rubish. (never played microsoft train simulator tho)
    Railworks is not very realistic and once you get the hang of stoping it becomes quite easy (even with the pro controlls turned on) not like the real world where you have to remember your track speeds, where home signals, stations are placed. You can even go flat out on corners and crossovers without derailing.
    But its the type of game where you need to make your own fun.

13. Osdor

Well I've been secretly playing Railworks whenever the LOTRO servers are down for maintenance, and still loving it. The Isle of Wight expansion, driving a retired Tube train around the tourist line, is a lot of fun!

Big news is the new version coming out next month - a free upgrade for all current Railworks 2 owners. Graphical improvements look awesome. Still waiting for some Aussie content, though...

14. camdy

camdy Well-Known Member