Realtime Worlds Shutting Down

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Bawheidbob, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

2. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

This is sad...the game was looking great and I was actually about to buy it as well. I hope someone else picks them up and keeps it alive.

3. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

well looks like the hunt for a new game is going to start up again for me. bummer about apb, but what can you do. well hopefully i can find something again.

4. KaptK

KaptK Getting Started

Yeah a shame. One of my mates worked at DMA while they did GTA 1 + 2 so he has loads of mates working at Realtime. I guess there is enough talent up there for them all to regroup ok and start up something new.

5. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

6. Bayland

Bayland The Doctor

Wow! That's a fast flame out.

A real shame. I hope they can start something new.

7. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Guys,

I remember seeing a segment on BBC World news about a year ago. That the UK government also had an equally bad rep in supporting the animation industry with tax breaks or other policies.

Although would have a tax break saved Realtime Worlds? Since it put too many of its eggs into the APB basket. And like one of the articles above stated that too much red ink occurred. If you recall Square Soft years ago when it launched the cinematic debut of that "Final Fantasy Film". Which bombed at the box office but was a novel pioneer in pushing new photo realism technology. Which caused "Square Soft" to merge with "Enix" another game developer.

Realtime Worlds, has a better chance of being bought out due to past successful work. Probably the IP and a working retailed MMO game title of APB may be deemed a lucrative opportunity for a game publisher. Much like how SOE pounced on the misfortune of the game developers of "Vanguard & Matrix Online" in buying them out.

8. Ranja

Ranja Well-Known Member

Hate to see a game die, even so quickly is a shame. Sorry to all that have put time and money toward this title, hopefully some company will pick it up and keep it going for you guys.

9. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member