Recruiting poster.

Discussion in 'Star Citizen (Public)' started by Anrchist, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

Very new to the design area, as you can tell by my sig, lol

Thought i would have a go at a recruiting poster whilst I was bored looking for something to do. I dont come close to the skills some of you guys have but cant say i didnt try.

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/5183/s8sn.jpg

Dont know how to show image here, and its probably too big anyway.

2. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

Looks good! :)

Embedding a picture is straightforward. Take your link URL, click the yellow button with the mountain and a popup will ask for the picture's URL.

It will look like this, but the { and } will be the usual [ and ] brackets instead.
    {IMG}http://imageshack.com/a/img829/5183/s8sn.jpg{/IMG}

[​IMG]

3. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

Thanks for the tech info Zhul, but you dont have to indulge me, it looks like shit really, looked good at the time but i was half drunk. lol
    Would be good if the gurus, could whip something up for the SC site, even in sig size. I would use it, nothing player specific, but a general one that anyone could use.

4. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

Not that bad mate......don't put it down.

Your call to action is too small though and I am not seeing the focus. Changing the Wording to be larger or even starting small and getting bigger each time will change it.
    Pilots
    Ships
    War
    Fly For

But I am just a PM and so actually don't know what I am talking about :)

5. Gluggy

Gluggy Well-Known Member

Hey Anrchist thats a good start. You have the elements to a great poster there. As Monde points out just a few design elements are working against you. There are some "rules" in design that can help or hinder a piece and sometimes its not easy to find the right mix, but thats what doing draft after draft of the same thing until it feels right is all about. This is from my previous life many years ago and in a different galaxy far far away.

1. The eye wants to be lead and its usually top left to bottom right.
    2. Your image elements are very good but don't be scared to leave some space. Negative space (space with no words or over images in it can sometimes be the strongest part of a design
    3. Your message must be clear, like Monde says, make that the main part of the poster, it shouldn't need to compete with the other elements going on.
    4. you've kept your colour pallet pretty monotone (which I like) mainly blues and whites. You have a great standout colour (red) in the logo use that to draw the eye in and down through the design. I'd place the TOG logo bottom right to take the eye out of the graphic at the end.

So if you just move the elements around a bit, try and get more focus on the message (words) and give the edges some free space to breathe, you'll have us posting this up as our wall paper in no time.

Hope you take this the right way mate, I'm no expert but have done some time behind a wacom doing this stuff so hope you have another go on draft 2. Cheers Gluggy

6. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

I only have access to Photo editor online, pretty limited in what i can do with that program, lol

7. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

One of the things I love about TOG: people with knowledge willing to share. :)
    Get yourself Gimp 2.8 - it's FREE!

8. Gluggy

Gluggy Well-Known Member

Zhuls right GET THE GIMP, its the bomb. You'll need to spend some time learning it but it will help you with design, photo editing, basically everything you can do in Photoshop (well almost) but for free.

9. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

Ok will give it a go, thanks for the feedback and help guys.

10. Targas

Targas Active Member

I'm not terribly artistic nor do graphics programs seem intuitive to me. I found Gimp (and any of the other powerful graphics tools) a bit intimidating. I learned a bit by poking around with Paint.net first. It's also a free editor in a similar vein but not as many whizz's and bangs in it's toolbox. It was easier to learn what these programs can do, and what their common icon and text jargon is, and is still faster to do quick things like resizing. Once I figured out how to use that I felt more confident about trying to manhandle Gimp for when I need to do more complex things.

11. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

How to i change an image ive created in gimp to a .png or .jpeg so i can host it somewhere ?

12. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

Export will let you choose from several different formats.

13. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

Ok thanks Zhul

14. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

Take 2 of my poster.

[​IMG]

And another i tried.

[​IMG]

Better than the last one i hope.

15. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

Nice work!

My only suggestion on the first is to make the text less even in stepping toward the corner. You have some nice open spaces between the ship groups that you can use tier the message toward the lower right but keep the ships unobscured.

Edit: You may also want to check out dafont.com; but beware, once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. :p

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  16. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

Awesome i was wondering how to get better fonts than the standard crappy ones, lol

17. Rechs

Rechs Retired Captain

Coming to this thread late.

The first poster is in-inspiring. It's small and my eyes are too easily distracted with the nebulae cloud. The puny text needs to be bold, strike confidence to the reader.

The second poster choice of image is better, the contrasting background allows for text to stand out easier, however an image alone doesn't make it.

You need to work on your choice of font. The off centre text throws out the symmetry - as does the TOG logo when used in the centre. Do we have any other TOG logos on hand that are both flat and doesn't look like its clip-art?

Edit: also, drop the 'http://www.' "Modern" browsers will resolve the domain.com address fine and the result on the image is less clutter.

Choice of colours here will make or break the presentation.

Keep up your self training. Can I expect to see more?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  18. Anrchist

Anrchist Getting Started

One day, never played with these things before, and didn't know how to get decent fonts until Zhul gave me a link all the base fonts are pretty crap. didnt even have a program to make this stuff until a couple weeks ago, no idea what 90% of the stuff does, lol
    But nothing i do will follow main stream thinking as Im not a main stream type of guy, lol

19. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

The key is to keep working on stuff. You'll make stuff that you're not satisfied with - and that's okay. It will drive you to improve. You'll mess things up, but use that to learn what not to do next time.

I'm speaking from direct experience. :)