Red Dead Redemption

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Ludy, May 12, 2010.

1. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

2. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

I wasn't aware there were any plans to make a PC version ...

3. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

Yep, I was looking for a PC port as well, but there's no indication that they will do one.

4. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

I was under the impression it was coming to PC "eventually"

5. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

The never mentioned GTAIV for the PC during its initial development. But it eventually made its way. I wouldn't count on seeing it on PC for at least 6 months if we're lucky

6. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

For the GTA titles it took one year before the PC version came out.

7. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

If the port is done as well as the GTA IV one, I'd go with PS3. Plus there's a big group of toggers getting it for PS3 on release so we'll have regular posses going.

8. crowtree

crowtree Retired Captain

The other question is; is it any good? Looked at some of the video's around and it looks like fun :and the multiplayer side looks OK too. Love the idea of the Mexican standoff to start and last man standing gets the sniping position :)

9. zetadeltar

zetadeltar Active Member

yeah its good, i personally dont really enjoy the multiplayer for some reason due to lag

10. AvatarICEMAN

I read last night that it's coming to PC July 16th. I hope so.

11. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

wow...that's quick...oh well looks like I'm picking up a second copy then :)
    only problem will be I'm pretty sure rockstar will tie it to Games for Windows Live.

That means you'll have 3 logins for the game...Steam, GfWL and Rockstar Social (if you want the cool Gentlemans attire)

12. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Watched the piece on Good Game last night about it, and it did look quite interesting. While they mentioned multi-player / co-op it was more in passing and appeared a bit messy - quite likely from the pubber aspect I imagine. So with a TOG group I presume it'd be better.

Let's hope it gets some decent optimisation for PC.

13. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Yay! July 16th is not far away.

14. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Whoever wrote that it would release on July 16 for the PC is full of hot air IMO. There's no info at all about a PC release at this time and as Rockstar self publish it's 100% their decision what happens. They may release on PC eventually but it most likely won't be this side of xmas.

That fact that they self publish and the poor form of GTA IV on PC has me feeling rather lukewarm about this game. They don't have that extra layer of external support for QA or testing that publishers usually provide so I don't see how anyone would expect RDR on PC to fare any better.

To be honest, I've been rather unhappy with every single Rockstar PC release since GTA III.

15. George

George Retired Captain

Being an IT noob, what is the problem getting it from a console to a PC? Can't they develop the console & PC at the same time?

Anyhoo, it's a great game.

16. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

The more specific you are with the hardware during development the more you can get out of it. You can do PC, 360 and PS3 at the same time but they're all very different to program and optimize for.
    The 360 uses a three core Power PC CPU from IMB (like the old Mac's, kinda ironic) and it has an ATI video card - both CPU & GPU on the 360 are very tightly integrated, much more so than your average PC.

The PS3 uses IMB's Cell processor, which has a Power PC core and 8 SPE minicores although only 6 SPEs are accessible to developers - one SPE is used for the PS3 Operating System and one is disabled to improve chip yields (one SPE core can fail tests and still run all PS3 games and the PS3 OS). The video card in the PS3 is the Nvidia RSX, which is a modified desktop GPU.

PCs use x86 CPUs with one or more processing cores with shared caches and a modular system for Video, RAM, Sotrage input/output ect. Most people know what PC's are made up of.

To compare each system to a car:

The 360 is an old desiel truck.
    The PS3 is push scooter with a Jet Engine on the back.
    The PC is an Bus - either your standard people carrier or it could be converted into a world touring RV or a kick ass zombie survival vehicle.

Most studios working on multi-platform games tend to focus on the lowest common denominator that each system shares. As the PC is modular and ever changing everything but the control system (mouse/keyboard) is often ignored until the last minute. You can delay a PC title in the hope that PC's will be faster in 6 months, you can't do that with a console system as they're totally fixed. There absolutely no room for error, it has to work on the consoles or you have no game to ship at all. Polishing up the PC release tends to vary a lot between different developers. Once the console systems are done the devs are usually kinda burnt out, they've been crunching for months putting in 70+ hour weeks - all the fun parts are done and all that's left is to make it work on PC but they've spent so much time getting it to run well on Consoles it's totally broken on the PC now.

The crappy developers just seem to do a quick bugfix pass for PC then box it up and try to sell that. Part of the problem is that there's no quality standard that PC games need to measure up to. On the 360 and the PS3 Microsoft and Sony have massive documents that dictate quality standards for functionality ect.

If a PS3/360 game crashes during testing it fails and is sent back.
    If a 360 game shows a list of XBL player names and there's no option to view a players gamecard, it fails testing and is sent back.
    If a game does not adequately inform the player what buttons perform what actions or tooltips for the buttons are wrong, the game fails testing and is sent back.
    If a player is dropped from a multiplayer game without there being a clear and obvious networking issue outside the game, the game fails testing and is sent back.
    If an XBL player name is displayed in a game and some of the characters are cut off (can't display 13 characters) then the game fails and is sent back.

These QA documents are hundreds of pages long and Sony/Microsoft will not let you publish the game without passing everything.

None of that quality testing or checking exists for PC games. Any developer can release any bug-ridden crap they desire for the PC because it's an open platform. Even if you want to use Microsoft's "Game For Windows Live" matchmaking or achievement services and branding, all they check is that you have the LIVE logo displayed in the game menu and that the home key displays the LIVE overlay, apart form that they don't care if your game actually works. Couple that with the general flow of "it must work on consoles or we don't ship" and you can understand why the PC version of a game often lacks polish.

That's not to say all developers skimp out in this regard, a lot of them use the PC as the lead platform then port to consoles or use tech/engines that support multiple platforms really well but from past experience I'd say Rockstar are usually a bit flaky in this area - ever since GTA III the PC platform seems to have been more of an afterthought for them.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    Mister.E and delushin like this.
  17. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Nice response Drac - some points I hadn't considered before, e.g. the crunch for console deadlines.

I'd still rather my trusty Bus that I can convert and upgrade as the budget allows :cool:

18. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Same. I think the issue of quality control on the PC is largely one of technology. The more experienced developers that have been using the same engine over and over should eventually get it polished on every platform they release on, so maybe RDR will be better on PC this time around but I'll be waiting for other TOGers opinions I think.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  19. George

George Retired Captain

Yeah, great answer. Thanks for that. I do like my scooter with the jet engine on the back :)

20. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Nice... with side mounted mini guns?

On Topic - I cant see PC release happening so fast but I am kinda interested in that game any links to where people have read information on release?