Red Orchestra (2): Heroes of Stalingrad

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ulric, May 12, 2009.

1. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

I really don't see the problem here. Sure, I hate that Aus still is piss-farting around sorting it's ratings system out, and has developers running scared (rightly so!), but if they remove the blood, is it really a deal breaker??

BF2 never had blood, just a puff of dust. The mod Project Reality added it back in, and as much of a nice feature it was, it didn't add any additional game-play elements, nor did it specifically change the "reality" element of the game.

Having said that... srsly? How bad could it have been anyway? It's not going to be a Soldier of Fortune type game, or even a Modern Warfare 2 airport type thing (which still made it past the censors!). I'm guessing it's just a spray of red stuff, so what's the big deal?

Stalin likes this.
  2. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Good points Spec. I remembered how disappointed I was when I saw the Left 4 Dead 2 comparison between censored and non-censored. BUT, this is a different gaming experience.. one where the censoring may not be an issue. Instead of buying it straight away though I'll wait for a while to see the feedback.

3. Spectre8

The LFD2 censoring was based on them not wanting the message going out that shooting police is a good thing - that's what pushed it over the line me thinks. Sure, they're mutated and bloated versions of LA's finest, but hey, whatever right?

This will be a VERY different scenario. There seems to be no problems with gore, it's the context and the subject matter. There's no shortage of games out there where you can gib someone down to a puddle of gloop, so long as it's not necessarily forcing you to do it or making it a positive feature.

So it remains to be seen what the real gameplay of RO2 will be, and what they've got that they fear could lead to banning or no classification. I don't really mind either way, but I do hate them not giving us the option to decide.

BTW: Pre-ordered on Steam :)

4. Ned

SOURCE Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Launch Delay - AusGamers.com

5. UN1TISGOD

UN1TISGOD Active Member

6. Ned

There you go.. a maybe order just changed to a definite :)
    Thanks for the info!

7. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

This urban myth keeps popping up - the presence of "riot police zombies" (in reality they're marked "security" as opposed to "police") may have been an issue in Germany, I'm not sure (since AU got essentially the German censored version sans the CS:S weapons), but I don't recall the Classification Board ever mentioning anything about this being an issue in their decision.

Unfortunately the old link to the Classification Board's report is now broken, but you can still access the Classification Review Board's report (and since the Review Board's decision replaces that of the original Classification Board, this is the only one that matters now anyway) which clearly states their reasoning behind the RC:

Not meaning to pick on you, Spectre8, it's just that I keep seeing this, "Oh, it was because of police zombies in the game - the Australian government doesn't like violence against authority figures" idea popping up all over the Internet, even though there was never any evidence for it from the Classification Board (and from memory the current censored AU version includes the riot police zombies anyway!). :)

8. Spectre8

Hrmm... thought I had read it in their report... but it was a long time ago now, and I never got into the game anyway :p Could very well have just heard on the grapevine.

Either way, my point is that RO2 is unlikely to be appealing to the gore fetishists out there. It's a war game bordering on lite-sim. There should be blood, there should be all sorts of nastiness there, but seeing as it's not some vampire gore slasher game, I really can't see it being potentially refused classification anyway.

Either way, it's decided now anyway :)

9. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Agreed. When I first saw TWI had put up RO2 as "Low Violence" for AU, I immediately went back to checking CoD:WaW (to see limb dismemberment, etc.) and wondered what on earth TWI must have been thinking...

10. Ned

11. Ned

Some beta multiplayer gameplay..

12. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Lots of beta gameplay. :)

13. OzRecon

OzRecon PUBG Captain

Bouncing over your head emptying a mag into you
    I'm so over modern warfare that I'm really looking forward to this one.