Review/Article suggestions

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by Gaara, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

As a newly appointed journo for TOG, I was wondering if there were any old/retro/classic game people would like covered. As my reason for offering writing services was to review and cover the oldies rather than the new games that everyone else are going to be doing.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated

2. Gruntaz

Gruntaz Well-Known Member

ELITE...loved that game on my old C64 ( I think) then got a color version when I upgraded to an.... Amiga 500...woohoo:D

3. Coot

Coot World of Warcraft Officer

Yeah, was going to suggest Elite too. That was a classic in it's day.
    Did you know you can still play an updated version? It's called "Oolite" if memory serves. See if I can find a link to it.

4. Coot

Coot World of Warcraft Officer

5. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

Hehehe sweet, I shall add it to my list :D

I had a few in mind, but I know I will need some to fall back on when my initial list of games is exhausted.

All input is definitely welcome tho :) I shall endeavor to please.

6. mettleking

mettleking Well-Known Member

WOOT ..... My FAVOURITE game ever .... Elite it is :D:D

7. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Elite gets my vote too, probably my all time favorite game.
    How about System Shock 2? it's an absolute classic, it's certainly my favorite PC game and with it's spiritual successor, Bioshock just around the corner it might be interesting to revisit it.

8. Bloodwrych

Bloodwrych Retired Moderator

well the game series that finally got me hooked on pcs was the whole Wing Commander series and its offshoot Privateer...and i enjoyed ultima even the buggy as hell ultima ascencion i think it was with the pirate lass although i never went further onto ultima online.

9. Wiz_74

Wiz_74 Retired Journalist & Advisor

Elite was def a classic, also Paradroid (check the comments in First Game thread, most ppl remember this game), R-Type (the best of the old school horizontal scroller shooters), Pawn (the first real graphic adventure), Pitstop (first real racing game of its kind), Ghosts and Goblins (everyone remembers this), Impossible Mission (Stay awhile...stay forever.....hahahaha), Altered Beast, Doom (first FPS), Great Gianna Sisters (would be a good story as it was taken off the shelves not long after release for being a Mario rip off), Tetris, Block Out (first 3D tetris clone). Theres a few to start with mate :)

10. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

All good ones, thanks for the help. I suspect I may go with The Last Ninja for my first piece hehehe just because its the one I remember most without having played it in a while. God bless GB64 3.0

11. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I think there might be some value in retro reviews of a certain age.

I think a game like Elite or the last ninja is fun to discuss here in this forum which is what it's aimed at but putting a review together of a game that really is not going to be played today might be wasted effort.
    Given that you may not really able to even play it yourself without an emulator etc and even then you would not really have a C64 joystick.

I wouldn't mind seeing reviews of games that are still worth playing today but some people might have missed.
    Just some examples would be things like Max Payne, Doom 3, stuff that is a few years old but you can pick up today still and have a good time with.

I think to do a review of some sort the game has to be readily and easily available still. Xbox arcade games would also be quite valid under that rule.

Another thing you can have a look at is gametap, they do lots of old games playable on today's platform as well, hell they might be interested in some sort of deal as well.

12. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

Well, that had occurred to me to not long before you made this post.
    Obviously straight out reviews of these games would be a bit silly, and in the end a lot of them are emulation only anyways.

But, I am thinking I may do some retrospective pieces on them every so often, Like one on the whole series of a given game over its lifetime etc.

13. paenggoy

paenggoy Active Member

How about an essay about post-apocalyptica in the '80s and games like Wasteland and others?

14. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

Hmmm thats an idea, have a few ideas for things like that actually. :D

15. Deadfyre

Deadfyre Well-Known Member

I dont see why a retro review would be bad. These games helped pave the way to what we are at now. Back in the day we were happy with 8 bit gfx and 2 bit sound.

They looked so good, sounded so great.

Montezuma's Revenge!!

Oregon Trail!

Idealy, the amount of force that Wolfenstein hit the gaming industry with is about equal to a comet hitting a planet.

Carmack is probably from another planet.

16. Wiz_74

Wiz_74 Retired Journalist & Advisor

I think rather then a review, a Look Back At type column would be better where older gamers are revisited for nostaglic value :)

17. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

Tempest (for the classic arcade crowd) - an addiction.
    Pitfall series (for the Atari 2600 crowd) - a platform gaming original!
    Seven Cities of Gold (for the Apple & early IBM PC gaming crowd) - forerunner to resource gathering, & trading games (Pirates, Conquest of the New World, etc.)
    Star Wars: X-Wing & Tie Fighter series (for the mid 90's PC gaming crowd)

Just a few suggestions.

18. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

Yeah, thats what I will be doing, although I am sure I will make the odd exception and review something not quite dead yet. As Father suggested gametap carries quite a bit of not quite new stuff, and I have quite a few of the bigger games they carry, so I can do some on those too. Now I just need to find a little bit of time to write something. I will probably start with a looking back article first though to get my feet wet.