Rome : Total War

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by RogueTrader, May 4, 2004.

1. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

For those who are fans of the Total War series, here is the most recent update. http://pc.ign.com/articles/510/510763p1.html Check out the screen shot with details of the Roman archer (a lot of stats) and the one of a city under siege (look at the shadow under the Trebuche)

For those unlucky few that don't know the Total War series, It IS THE RTS title. The amount of historical research placed into these games is just breath taking (e.g. they got most of the Knights names correct in Medieval Total War), and the flexibility in game play is one of their key strength as well!

Melski, I know you've prob been waiting for this one for a while now, I can feel our wait is almost over! :p :p :p

2. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

I hope the campaign plays better than the other two in the series.

3. RogueTrader

I thought the campaigns were excellent. Are you referring to the MultiPlayer part of the game (battle only)?

4. Fox

I just read that arcticle. It seems to be sufficiently expanded upon to warrant the title "new game".

I was referring to the SP campaign. It was a nice expansion upon Shogun but there were many things that just didn't work. Diplomacy was null and void. Princesses were useless. Assasins were crap. Treaties were worthless. Spy's not worth the resources (actually, they would tell troop movements). Bishops ineffectual. Inquisitors did more damage to your own counties. Barbarians were simple cannon fodder. Naval strategy non-existant. Jihad's pointless. Sigh. Need I go on? And the bugs. Sheesh. Was it 5 patches?

Having said all that. It was and still is a good game. The building system was simple and effectual, including units. The generals and promotion of such was well done. The stacking and unit movement was good. Naval invasions were a welcome addition. Trade was combersome but at least it was there. Peasant revolts added a nice twist to the game. R&D and the tech tree was well done. Complicated in a good way.

And for the battles. I can't fault it at all. The first of it's kind IMO. And the music is something I really enjoyed. The AI is reasonably intelligent. More so than many other games.

According to the article, each county in a campaign map will be broken down into even small "blocks". That will be interesting. I'm guessing too that you can place buildings on each "block ". This might extend to cities. If so, it would be nice to know you can "shape" a city and define it's outter perimeter. The other aspect is border control. Will armies be able to simple move around border garrison if movement can be defined at such a low level? I'm guessing they've thought of this already.

All in, the review looks good and they've enhanced in-game graphics, AI, troop movement/behaviour and they've also had a team enhancing the campaign. With two success stories under it's belt, I'm confident Activision and Creative Assembly have what it takes to get this right - with less bugs.

B_Bunny likes this.
  5. Fox

6. Rodge

Rodge Well-Known Member

7. RogueTrader