Runes of Magic MMO goes into Open Beta

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by FunkyJ, Dec 16, 2008.

1. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

2. Craggles

Craggles Active Member

Looks interesting, if Gamearena host the open beta client I will try it.

3. Basie

Basie Retired Administrator

I've been taking a look at this over the last few days. Honestly, as free MMOs go RoM is actually quite playable. I haven't had a chance to check out the PvP yet but it's a WoW clone with some funky twists.

At level 10 you get to dual-class, and swap between the classes to level them. Skills are developed using training points which are awarded for kills, quest completion, and on level up. You have access to your secondary class' general skills while playing the primary.

Crafting and gathering seem well thought out, if a bit WoW-ish.

PvE is perhaps a trifle easy, but maybe it gets tougher at the high end. The game is eminently soloable in the early stages.

Graphics are pretty decent, if nothing earth-shattering. Music is a bit tinny.

They pay for the game using a pay-for-features model which, at least for now, seems not too limiting. For example, you start with two bags and the rest need to be 'rented'. Items can be upgraded using diamonds which are purchased using IRL funds, and so on.

If you're looking for a free game to pass time while waiting on another title, as I was, you could do a lot worse. But then there's also Combat Arms... :)

4. Torty

Torty Active Member

I've been playing this for the last few hours as well and enjoying it. Reached level 7 so far so not yet got to dual class. I was in the closed beta but that wasn't so playable as a lot of quests were still in original language (guessing Korean) but so far in open beta not found any non english text so huge improvement. Game has always been very stable.

Torty

5. Basie

Basie Retired Administrator

Stability is a real plus. When you think about how many released games have totally dropped the ball on client crashes, server crashes and so on, stability becomes a huge selling point.

I mean, honestly developers... get the basics right!

6. QueensKnight

QueensKnight Active Member

Eastern Daylight / Standard Time (UTC - 4 / 5)
    I've been trying this game out a bit. I have reached levels 18 rogue / 16 warrrior.

It has been interesting. Some things I like and some things I don't; but then that is every game I have ever tried.

There does remain some asian characters that need to be translated. But, so far not much. (I can only think of a couple of item names and when you use fireworks.)

I am on Govinda server (US) and I found a guild that has been pretty mature, though they have a couple of younger folks (18 and 19, I think.). (There are US and international versions, so pick whichever, but note that they maintain different forums and websites.) Anyway, I'ld be happy to chat in game if anyone is heading my way.

Later.

7. Ryo

Ryo Retired Administrator

This one is growing on me. I've got a 12/10 rogue/scout going on the pvp server, Krynn.

Intend to go rabid pker around level 18-20. Since Runes puts the aggressors out in the cold might be enough of a challenge to get solidly back into that open pvp predator mentality just in time for Darkfall. After Warhammer I feel like I need to friggin put on warpaint or something it was so casual :D

Two of us there, if anyone is game.

8. Hansuke

Hansuke Active Member

I just signed up QK. I can't download the client today but maybe this weekend. Any helpful suggestions about my setup, like character type etc.?

Is it hard to form a guild? I'm looking into several free/micropay MMO's, but my main motivation is being in a guild of TOG'rs in one of those games.

Han

9. Ryo

Ryo Retired Administrator

Takes 100k gold, so not easy, at least at the lower levels that I've seen.

10. QueensKnight

QueensKnight Active Member

Eastern Daylight / Standard Time (UTC - 4 / 5)
    As far as suggestions about your character...I would recommend taking a peek at the class forum for the class types that typically interest you.
    Class Board - Runes of Magic US Forums

If you normally go for melee types, then focus on looking at those; if magic... etc. Remember that you will get to select a second class when you get to level 10. (So, you can mix melee / magic...) You will then level the two classes independently, by switching back and forth. Some of the skills from whichever class you have as your 'secondary' will be available to you, so there is some strategy to planning out which skills you want available. If you are into developing a highly powerful build, then you will really want to get into it. Otherwise, for the most part, I think most of the classes would be fine together. Remember, you are not locked into your second class until you hit level 10, so you can test out your thoughts. Finally, you might start a second character so you can test out both classes from level 1 - 10. This is good because you will end up playing half the time as your secondary class, so its a good idea to enjoy leveling it. You can always scrap the second character when you are done testing. Since it is relatively quick to go from 1 to 10, it will not feel like a waste, especially as you learn about what you like / don't like. (Also, remember that you may need separate gear for the two characters depending on what classes you select.)

I assume that Ryo is correct, but I never did look into guild creation because I fell into one pretty quickly.

Run through the quest line. They give pretty good gear as rewards. Note that items that are bound to your character cannot be traded away, even to another of your characters. (You may be familiar with this concept, but this is the first time I have encountered it.) There are also items that become bound upon equipping, so keep an eye out for those.

Feel free start threads on the other free / micropay games you are trying out and let us know how they are going.

Later.

11. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

How are people finding the quests? Are they your typical kill x number of these critters or collect x items form these critters or does it have a bit more variety? Most Asian import free MMOs I've seen so far have been grind fests. Hoping this one is not.

12. RogueAU

RogueAU Well-Known Member

I'll take a look while waiting for Darkfall.

13. Sente

Sente Active Member

There is a number of "kill X" quests, although often part of a series of quests where not everything is "kill X" type.
    There are also daily/general quests which can be obtained from a board in various areas, which are of "collect X by killing Y" type of quests mainly. The good thing about those is that if you already have the required items the quest completes automatically - no need to get these items again.

/Sentenwolf (rogue-priest 16/12) on Macantacht

14. RogueAU

RogueAU Well-Known Member

Does it take a long time to patch? I downloaded it but when you're patching there are two bars and my second bar sort of hovers around 10% while the top bar keeps completing and restarting the client.

15. Silver Lady

Silver Lady Well-Known Member

It does take a long time to patch Robert. I had to stop the download and restart as I had a similar problem to you but even after download and patches were finished I still can't get the game to load.
    As soon as I hit the enter button I go back to desktop. I'm so frustrated with it I've given up. It's a shame cause I was really looking forward to trying this game but I figure if a game causes me so much trouble just getting it to start, then it's not worth playing..........Cheers Ellie

16. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

I downloaded the patches manually. A link to all of them can be found here. You can then either apply each patch individually or if you place them into the main game directory (eg C:\Program Files\Rune of Magic\) & run the launcher, the launcher will pick them up & install them from there.