Saying Hello

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Old Gran Dad, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Old Gran Dad

Old Gran Dad Just Joined

I guess it was dumb luck finding this web page, I was looking for old games and found this. I am a bit on the old side, I'll be 56 in May, but you're never to old to play games.

I am thinking of playing Eve, Guild Wars or World of Warcraft. Seems most games these days are fantasy dragons and magic and what not. I am a big science fiction fan and maybe Eve is the place for me.

I tried looking at some of the game forums but they are all blocked. So, there must be more to just registering.

As I said I am 56 this May, I am married and living in the USA. I am semi-retired and I'm looking to meet new people and maybe have some fun.

Whats the next step?

2. Donel

Donel World of Warcraft Officer

Hi and welcome....
    Next step is
    click here http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3917 and then post back stating that you have read and agree to our AUP & FAQ. After one of the Admins have their pudding and Geratol they will give you access to the restricted stuff. Don’t forget to check out the Lounge and other forums once you have access, lots of good info.

3. Old Gran Dad

Old Gran Dad Just Joined

Seems strange replying to my own post, but thanks to Donnell I know the next step. When you get to be my age, you have to take things in small steps, little bit at a time.

So, yes I am over 25 years old more than twice :)

I have read and agree to the AUP and the FAQ.

I live in good old US of A in the eastern time zone. I am semi-retired and when these old bones let me I crank up the old PC and play a game or two. I started playing online game around the time that Sierra had a fantasy game. I had a 300 baud modem and if I recall it was 2.00 a min to play. I had to hide the bill from my wife or I wouldn't be here now typing this post lol!!! After a bit of serious saving and about 1,000.00, I think it was, I bought a 1200 baud modem. I was using a NEC APC IV at the time, ran at the blazing speed of 8 mhz, had 640 k of ram and a 40 meg hard drive. "Take you, you're whole life ta fill this drive up, sir" Old Gran Dad nods and forks over 4,000.00 for this killer system.

So moved on up to "The Realm by Sierra, then Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, Earth and Beyond, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft. I was looking for science fiction and came across Eve, went to the web page and looked it over. Seemed like "Blade Runner" a bit, memories of every sci-fi movie for the last 50 years all rolled into one. I'm thinking I want to try this one on for size, take it for a spin and see how she shifts and holds the road :)

Gonna down load the program and open an account I think. Hard to know what a car will do unless you open her up and see what she's made of !

As to me, what did I do? Used to program main frame computers back in the late 60s, worked in manufacturing, computer repair, sales and auto repair.

Right now I am just hanging back, my wife and I, and wnjoying the good life a bit.

4. DogMeat

DogMeat Active Member

Welcome aboard!

5. griller

griller Active Member

:bigthumbsup: G'day Welcome to TOG Old Gran Dad.

6. Dieanna

Dieanna Getting Started

Welcome to TOG :) Glad to have you!

7. Old Gran Dad

Old Gran Dad Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome.

I have the Eve client downloaded and I've made a character. Name is OldGran Dad :)

I'm working my through the tutorial now. Doing this "autopilot" run through a bunch of systems so I figured to do something and check the ToG forums.

While I'm here, does anyone know how I get in touch with the people in Eve that are ToG?

I'll checl back here during the course of the night, hopefully someone will post. As to getting access to the rest of the forums if anyone wants to borrow one of my walkers I'd be happy to loan it out :)

8. Slider

Slider Well-Known Member

Hi there Old Gran Dad and welcome along to TOG :)

9. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

Welcome aboard :)

You will now have full access to all parts of the TOG website

* All TOG member only forums
    * All member only areas of the website

Undoubtedly you want to get started and the best place to start is to visit the main forum for the game in which you are interested, have a read of the sticky posts and other threads that catch your attention.

Introduce yourself and ask any further questions you may have.
    You will find other TOG members most helpful if you take the time to aks any questions you may have.

The social heart of TOG can be found in “The Lounge Room”, where any topic is being discussed and debated. If you want to know the other TOG members across the whole of TOG visit the Lounge Room.
    Want to know when the next real life get together is of TOG members, again the lounge room is the place to be.

We sincerely hope that you enjoy TOG for as long as you choose too, feel free to spread the message to your friends and family who enjoy gaming and don’t forget to have fun yourself!

All the best!

The Older Gamers!

10. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

G'day and welcome to TOG. :)

11. Sereth

Sereth Well-Known Member

Welcome to TOG, Old Gran Dad!!!

Well I guess luck is on your side! We're glad you found us, and hope that you find a spot in our family that you enjoy... Check out the lounge for some idle chat.

12. Dixi_Lady

Dixi_Lady Active Member

Welcome to TOG!

13. Old Gran Dad

Old Gran Dad Just Joined

Thank you :)

I saw Fox's post that I got access to the rest of the game forums and jumped right over there and forgot to say thank you. No excuse for rudness I always say so one kick in the old back side for not saying it.

Very nice to see such sincere greetings, also nice to see no wise ass little kids with all that weird wording using numbers and what not..heh :)

14. Dixi_Lady

Dixi_Lady Active Member

wut u mN M8? :D I think that's about the extent of my numbers and letters vocabulary lol

15. viking

viking Retired Advisor

Welcome to TOG mate :)